Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Hello From Space Coast Parting 87 924S What do you need
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cars and Parts Wanted/For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should I do and what is it worth?
Sell it as is
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Part it out and BTW I call dibbs on__________
70%
 70%  [ 7 ]
Part out the trans and convert it to a manual
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
It's worthless & fugly please remove the pictures
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

ragenruin  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Hello From Space Coast Parting 87 924S What do you need Reply with quote

First off, I didn't see a new members section for saying hello and doing an intro, so I figured I would post my question and say hello.

SO HELLO EVERYONE!

I just got this 924S its an 87 Its an Auto, yea I know that sucks! BUT it is a SUNROOF DELETE CAR! Front Seats are torn - typical but very cool Porsche Script.

***REVISED***

So after some debate am parting it out completely will put some stuff on ebay, but you guys get first dibs.

Here are the photos of the car:(click to enlarge)

Thanks I appreciate everyones opinions.

Last edited by ragenruin on Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:37 am; edited 2 times in total
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

What's your budget? Don't mean to ask too personal a question but it's good to know. If you can pay $6K to fix up this lump, doing a lot of it yourself, and it makes you happy, go for it.

Like, for me, and that car...I'm sorry but I'd have to be in love with it to fix it up. It has been seriously messed up.

A couple of things I notice:

1. Whoever owned it before you tried to fix it up. And failed. So they sold it. That's my guess.
2. It has tons of salvageable parts.
3. Don't repeat the error of #1. It'll be a huge financial blunder.

Use this car as a parts car. Spend a few more bucks and get a nice 924S, and swap over parts from this one as you need them. It's the cheaper alternative that'll still leave you with a nice running car.
ragenruin  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a budget as yet if you mean for working on the car, converting it, etc.

I was leaning toward just parting it out, doors, fenders, engine, trans, all that and then selling a rolling shell to someone. Using the funds to buy a 924S with a 5 spd and a sunroof.

From what I have read the sunroof delete is great for a track car. But I want a street car.

I was looking on ebay for parts values. But I thought I would ask everyone on here and get some straight answers, the idea of the trans swap - having to install the clutch pedals and all that, been their and done that on a non-porsche, I don't think I want that headache.

What I noticed when I purchased it, previous owner was filling in little dings and all that, I guess to get it ready for paint, he didn't say. He did say it was his nephews car and the kid has since gotten a 240SX. The parts came from the owner before the kid.

I got it thinking it would be a good investment with regard to parting it out and use that to pay for a better car. The front appears to be the worst of the damage. I have had the car for a few days, I got a nice price and I especially love all the extra parts.

But I agree I think it needs a few hours of body work then a good paint job, that assuming the front header can easily be replaced.
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needs a total body makeover! Doorpanels/skins, console, seats, bumper, light assy, trans, lights - enough that it'd be annoying unless you're devoting your life and $ to it for a few months.

So does it run?

Is the auto tranny functional? (I'd drive an automatic any day). I have a snail shell - great gearbox, all the gears work, synchros fine, but it's annoying in traffic.

The 5 bolt setup might be nice for someone like me with the 4 bolt drum setup.

I'd consider buying...let's see...probably the washer tank, switch/lever for windshield washer, the back/side interior black panels that have the 4 x 6 speaker holes - both sides, the rear seat and flip down thingy...
CÚdric  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a lot of time and a nice garage youcould do the paintwork pretty cheap. But its LOTS of job. Race car finish would be much less time consuming But if you just want a nice street car and doesnt have the time and garage I think a part out migth be the way because its just to much job to get it look pretty.

I want a weber TB !
http://www.garaget.org/?car=160275
924guy  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome aboard...

I had a 924S for quite awhile, not quite as bad as most people think, especially for daily driving, but competitive driving is pretty much out , the dampner just cant take the abuse. the 87/88 autos are far better runners than the early autos...

Yours is not beyond saving, especially if it runs... looks to be a great project...

Vince and I are on the treasure coast... not too far away.. nice to see another 924 series owner near by...
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
ragenruin  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did run and drive I saw that first hand. However it is not starting now. I have not had a chance to fool with it since I got it home and off the trailer.

I have no desire to put any kind of time into it, unless maybe I was going to do something crazy with it.

So far sounds like my initial plan would be the best, pull engine and trans and sell those, same with the seats. Then fenders - they are not perfect but they are not rusted so might be good for someone who lives in the rust belt.

MOTORRKB./GETR KF. 08 RCB

PAINT/INTERIOR L041/L041 AB

OPTION CODES:
C02 261 398 423 455
567 573 651 657

Less someone else makes a case for me to do otherwise I will start taking it apart tonight.

Phone dials have no curb rash but are faded.

Anyone want to give me or point me to a parts value List. All black interior.

Should I start a new thread selling the parts or asking what people want or stick with this one?

thanks for the honest answers.
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Space Coast?

It sounds very far.
cgalyon  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say sell it. You wanted a manual, so you should buy a manual. You should be able to find one in your price range and then you can start from there.
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad man, I would have given you $1000 for a sunroof.
ragenruin  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Coast is Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach/Kennedy Space Center Florida

Well I figure I can make more Selling it as parts than selling the whole car. I can strip it and leave just a rolling chassis and then junk it or sell it someone for a track car.

Interior aside from the Front seats is very nice Black with Blue carpet even the seats have the blue inserts with porsche script.

The trans should be good for someone with an auto who doesn't want to rebuild it. Supposedly and I say Supposedly quite a bit of work was done to the car mechanically in the last year or so... I have to get under it and look at the engine more closely.

And yes my house shakes when the shuttle lifts off or comes back and I can see it in the sky during launches - nice view actually most people can around here, its a nice perk, along with beach, lake and ocean access.
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then fenders - they are not perfect but they are not rusted so might be good for someone who lives in the rust belt.

Here in the 'rust belt' we don't drive our fun little cars in the winter. Well, most of us do not! Neither my '87 924s nor the '81 931 have a bit of rust on them. Snort!
2004 Winnebago Vectra monster RV
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
2001 Ford F350 powerstroke
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'm interested in the rear interior bits, as above. Stuff like that. We can PM when you start tearing it apart and we talk turkey.
ragenruin  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I will Start Taking Requests.

I think I will end up stripping it to the metal and unless someone tells me they need the chassis I will cut it up quarters and all, and the roof, since that likely is valuable to the right person. Not sure on the "CUTTING UP" part.

I will start this week in the evenings. Might put stuff on eBay, my brother works for a store that does a lot of that. But will give the board first go.

I don't believe I have seen many late cars with rust, but I have seen a lot of earlier, especially 924 cars with rust in other states. Not sure when they started treating the metal, but wasn't that in the 80s?

In any case, send me a pm or something tuurbo, let me know what you need and I will be sure to set it aside, going to get some pics of the interior tomorrow.

Nobody told me though - should I start a new thread for parts or parts request or how should I do that.

I will ship anywhere so thats not an issue too, not sure if thats important. The motor and trans of course will end up going freight I suspect, everything else can go greyhound or some such.

I need to go through the tubs and see what crazy stuff I can find.

Already found a spare 924 Cross member sitting in the hatch with the bumper, it is in a box?

Now here is an important question - Do I strip the suspension then cut it up or do I leave it as a rolling chassis and strip it down as much as possible - does a stripped but roller have more value than say cutting it into pieces I do mean cutting as in with a torch or saw. It is in the back yard, if I pull the suspension then I can't roll it out, which means cutting it up to get it out of the yard.

Decisions Decisions, anyone want to offer their 2 cents?
D Hook  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in the Weber throttle plate. Any pics? Is this for the 2.0 early 924?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cars and Parts Wanted/For Sale All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: