Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

WELCOME NOOBS!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwan2cruz  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: 1978 924 Special Edition Reply with quote

I am a proud new owner of a 1978 924 na Special Edition with 43,000 miles. It seems to be in excellent condition but I am doing the oil change (probably Mobil 1 15/50) and transmission fluid (probably Redline 75/90 MT 90) and other stuff.
Cya in the spring....

Gary
Lima, NY
Daniel12  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1982 I got a '79 in Alpine White (L90E?) with gold and brown stripes. Somewhere around '89 I decided to restore it, mainly to correct a crappy collision repair done by the local Porsche dealer and some vandalism damage. So I took it apart. Then I got married. Then I went back to school. Then we had kids. The car is still in pieces. I've decided it's time to put her back together and on the road.

Somewhere along the way but before the kids I picked up a '87 924S with a broken motor and turned it into a SCCA ITS race car. I haven't raced in ...several... years but #12 still sits in the garage, waiting for the day.
1987 924S Red ITS #12
1995 993 Polar Silver
kondzi  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there! I've read quite a lot on this forum before I decided I need to register to finally ask something I could not find answer to

My name is Konrad (yep, with a K!) and I'm based in Europe (Poland / Masovia district). I've been fiddling around with classic cars since my 18th birthday, so around 17+ years now.

I'm quite handy with any kind of tools (from hammer, through some screwdrivers, wrenches, welders (including TIG - but I did not master AC Alloy welding yet xD), solder iron and God knows what else It's a gift I'd not strip down a car without, or maybe I'd strip it down into pieces, and then what xD

My wife is very understanding, but she's got a temper and is a bit impatient. Every second weekend or so I can work on my cars in my garage with her blessing

I'm MSc of computer science having both my Engineer and MSc diplomas in Cybernetics (quite funky), which helps to diagnose a faulty resistor here and there

I'm struggling a bit in resurrecting my 931, but that's another topic (will write details there soon).

Here - I just wanted to say hello to everyone

[...]
And I almost forgot... Everyone loves a photo

'88 Mustang 5.0 LX Convertible (factory specs)
'84 911 Carrera 3.2 RoW (factory specs)
'81 931 RoW (TBD)
'81 Ford Capri 2.8i (factory specs)
'79 Ford Capri 2.9 (heavily modded)
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
Great color you have there..
peterld  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aBoard!

Nice straight car........and plentyof room for a lift!!
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more pictures !
Pegan  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, im Petros, the owner of a 924 Carrera GT replica with an original carrera engine. I am now actually in the process of rebuilding the car and preparing it for track day use. Location is Athens, Greece, i just thought that it would be right my first post to be an introduction...
gio  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
good morning to everybody !
My name is Giorgio, I am from Genova, Italy.
Sorry for my bad english !
My son has a 924 with carrera GT kit, and we are going to install EFI and supercharger on it
brandonH  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1988 924S was my first car, and the car I learned to drive on (and learned to drive stick on...). We eventually sold it to a mechanic when it was just more time investment than my family had available at the time (after a blown transmission). He left the area and left his cars to rot at his old shop for some reason. It's been sitting for about 10 years. A family friend recently bought the property with the cars, and is sending them to the salvage yard next week.

Guess who's getting logistics together to save his first car from the scrapyard? Got the space to work on it. Got the new owner of the shop willing to sell it to me for salvage price. Got a buddy with a trailer. Got a couple mechanic buddies in to help get it out of there before salvage comes, and want to help see it run for some cases of beer.

At the time we sold it (right before that guy moved), the transmission had "blown" (my dad was driving. not sure what happened, I wasn't there. Maybe it'll just be a clutch job? We'll see). So it'll at least need work there. And some kids had come through and stole tires off most of the cars while this place was vacant - so hitting the salvage yards this week to find wheels to at least roll it on and off a trailer. And the guy who cut and ran from the area apparently didn't have ANY of the keys for the several dozen cars organized, and the new owner couldn't find them... Soooo will need to, according to posts I've read, remove the wheel, remove the ignition switch, reattach the wheel, to even be able to steer onto the trailer, unless I can get a locksmith involved in all these logistics.

Fingers crossed it won't need too much more than that (aside from the rusty calipers and rotors I saw, I was able to crawl underneath a little (wedged between cars, and really tall grass at the front) and it doesn't look to shabby for having sat for so long. Even saw a couple exposed rubber boots that were NOT dry-rotted, and were actually very springy! So that's promising. And the interior is not the worst I've seen.

Fun bonus - we have a friend who's a cop who looked into the VIN. The last action on the VIN number's ownership was when we bought it and registered it. Apparently the mechanic didn't bother with any title stuff, and just parked it and left it. So, I'm not sure, will have to look into how it works, could just be as simple as a Lost Title application once we register it.

Hopefully this time next week, I'll be SLAMMING you guys with all sorts of questions and pictures! I know my way around really basic car work (otherwise I'm a noob), but I think getting my first car up and at 'em is going to become my new hobby. Hoping to learn a LOT from this! I'm so excited. This car's got sentimental value, and, when she was running proper, was an absolute BLAST!
peterld  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an amazing story........talk about good karma!
Paul  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for saving a 924.

Don't try to start it until you replace or at least check the condition of the timing belt. Also drain and replace the gas.
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it is the trans I think they can be had pretty cheap for that car..
davidschmalz  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So cool, can't wait to read as the story continues!
brandonH  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We hit 5 junkyards with no dice...

I want to verify. The 1988 924S is 5 lug, 130mm, right?

I've been getting conflicting information... I've seen a couple places say 5 x 5.5". If THAT'S the case, I have a buddy with some wheels we can use to get the thing rolled on and off a trailer. If not, these 5x130s are proving impossible to find here.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 18 of 20

Jump to: