Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

where is that water coming from?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
friskynibbles  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleaned out the car again today before working on some electrical stuff (changed fuses, wipers won't stop, turn signals blink at different speeds etc). while cleaning i lifted the carpet up and there's that underlay stuff, it was SOAKED!
i found no evidence of water elsewhere and the carpets were even dry on top.
any ideas?

dwak  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost a sure thing for leaking/rotted battery box or else the skylight. Some skylights leak all the time, some leak some of the time but, eventually all skylights. Get some moisture and heat loving plants.
dwak
friskynibbles  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm have to have a look but i thought the battery box was fine, and the sunroof is locked in pretty secure... no evidence of water anywhere else (even on the other side).
ltgland  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. After giving my car a good washing, I found it leaked. It didnt look like the battery box, the water was coming from the centre. I figure its from the heater housing area. I looked under the hood and found the bit had 4 screw holds, but only 2 were screwed in (with washers, maybe the washers leak?). as insane as this sounds, put the hose on the top of your car and look for where in gerenal its getting wet. I was lucky, I had soap suds to guide me
friskynibbles  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alrighty, will do. i dreamt about this last night ( i always have problem-solving dreams) and i realized that the water was on the same side as the battery box, so that leads me to think you were right.
we'll see soon enough tho (wednesday). today i am stripping then engine.
see "rebuilding - help!"
ltgland  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep us posted on where the leak is from. It may help me with mine. also, without hauling out the seats and carpets, how do you dry the soundproofing?
teo  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and check your water level just to make sure the water is getting in from the outside, and not from a leaky radiator. That's up there in the middle too. Loosing water is BAAAD.
ltgland  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my leak is definately from outside. I was washing my car and saw soap suds inside.
friskynibbles  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will keep you posted...
taking the seats out is no problem really, just four little bolts. very simple - so if you have a water problem take 'em out and check. my carpet came up easily as well, but i don't know if that would be the case with everyone. the underlay i just removed. i don't want something that has been soaking, rotting in my car. not after i'm done all the work i'm doing.

Smoothie  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to have a lot of rust and corrosion damage in the battery area for it to leak there. I had virtually no rust - just a little opening along the seam in the front corner. I removed the battery, scraped out the old seam sealer, cleaned up the area and shot large amounts of seam sealer (from a caulk gun) in there and along the rest of the seams and built it up so no puddles would form. This solved my recurring problem of a soaking wet passenger side floor. (Left hand drive car)
Aussie924  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same symptoms as frisky...
Wet passenger foot well..
battery box looked holeless..

And the problem was the litte plugs that hold the heater intake inplace..
(under the bonnet in the middle,the black thing)

these had come out and didnt seal properly anymore so i stuck some sealent around them and put them back, and since then its all been dandy
friskynibbles  

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh there's an idea... i think i'll use the warm soapy water as a test for the battery box and then move on from there.
ltgland  

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know where my leak is from, same as Aussies. I looked up, and saw daylight coming from that area. Aussie, how did you seal it? just plain old silicon sealer?
Aussie924  

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sealed it with a product called "selleys all clear" i dont know if its a international product but all it is, is a silicon for use in wet areas just general multi-purpose stuff...........

cost me about $6 aus.. well worth every cent

ltgland  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frisky.

I was under my battery tray today, it was dark, and I had a mag light. I found a tiny hole. It is probably worth doing the same. make sure there is very little light expect the mag light, those cracks/holes are difficult to see otherwise.
Some advice: wear goggles, I didnt and had to fish bits of rusty metal out my eyes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: