Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

To sell or not to sell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cars and Parts Wanted/For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Fix and Sell, or Part?
Fix and Sell
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Part Out
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 8

briles80  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: To sell or not to sell Reply with quote

I'm stuck in a bind guys, and i could sure use some advice.

I own a 1980 924.

Some of you may know of the Accident i got into back in January, Eturbo posted a few pictures and sought some advice on how to go about fixing it.

However there are a few new problems,
A friend of mine, if you could call him that:-) forgot to latch my hood down all the way and shattered the windshield while he was on the highway, which totalled the hood and hinges as well.
The total cost for him to Repair the Damage - 540$

Originally in the first accident the frame was bent, the 2 front fenders we're smashed, the nose piece totalled, the front valence wrecked, headlights, the hood, and quite a nasty dent in the rear passenger quarter panel. (I spun out into a guardrail after i made friends with some black ice)

I've replaced all of the parts so far, but as you can imagine it's a multicolored porsche, and a crooked one to say the least.
I've been quoted around 700$ to repair the frame, weld on the new nose panel, as well as the hood latch, pull the dent in the back, as well as various dents here and there that have seemed to appear out of nowhere. And i need a new Passenger Fender as well:-)The interior is still mint, all the carpeting is well, and the leather seats are prime, as well as the dash, and all the gauges. We all know that paint jobs can range from a 300$ Maaco to a 3000$ quality paint job.

So here's the dillema,

540$ to Replace windshield Damage
700$ to pull frame and fix extra body damage
90$ New Passenger Fender
300-1000$ Paint Job

That's quite alot to fix up a car and sell it, and as Eturbo tells me the market isn't exactly the greatest, now i'm set on getting rid of the car, I've fallen for the 924's but this car and i need to go our seperate ways.

The question, Is it Better to fix and sell, or is it better to part, it's safe to assume everything else works in good condition. Those i've talked to have told me it's on the edge. Part it out now? or fix it and sell it?

I'd be glad to answer any questions, and i have picutres as well if it would help.

I could really use some advice. Thanks alot guys.
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd only part it after you get another car - then it's worth the work to take the parts off. Parting it means work - maybe that's the way to go, but I'd do it after the person commits to buy the part.

Sounds like too much work to me, considering the payoff. I wouldn't keep it.
cgalyon  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen, you can't expect to get much more than maybe $1500-$2500 for the car if you sell it. Consider the cost of your repair estimates (~$1630) and I don't think you'll get much selling it. If you're going to get another one anyway, I'd just keep the old one as a parts car for the new one. You could possibly begin parting it too in the meantime.
924guy  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you rarely "make" money with a 924, even by parting one. one may make a few dollars that way, but for the effort involved, its usually not worth the trouble...the only way to get out of the hole is to dig yourself deeper into it by sourcing another 924. then use your current one as the donor , and sell what ever is left over. if your lucky youll break even that way, but dont count on it. at least youll have a 924 you can enjoy though...
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
-nick  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through something similar - a crashed 924na with a brand new tight and strong engine. I ended up storing the car for a while. Then I found another car that was pretty solid all around, but the motor was tired - for $1k. Swapped engines, and I had a strong and reliable car.

In other words, keep this one. The mint interior and lots of other parts will come in handy if you're committed to the 924. Eric is right - the market is soft to say the least. Especially for essentially the 26 year old parts car that you have now.

Be careful out there "crash"!
15psi boost, MS-II, EDIS, 951 IC, custom intake, Ford 5.0L throttle body, Forge BOV, WB o2, G31 w/LSD, 964 wheels, 968 rear sway, Bilsteins, 200# Welt. springs. A laptop, and a partridge in a pear tree.
1991 964 C4 Cabriolet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cars and Parts Wanted/For Sale All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: