Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Intro by Newbie Jeep dude with weird conversion questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carnuck  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Intro by Newbie Jeep dude with weird conversion questions Reply with quote

What the heck does a Jeep have to do with 924 you ask? Well, it's a little known fact that about the same time Porsche rolled out the 924, AMC bought some of the 2.0L motors for both the Gremlins (and a few Hornets) as well as Postal Jeeps (This was right after the gas crisis in Jimmy Carter days) I happen to have an underpowered '79 DJ5 (used as an Ice Cream truck after the USPS)
I tripped over a pair of '79 924 turbos cheapish (one with excellent body and a rod protruding from the block with 5 speed trans and the other totally rotted from a bad sunroof, but only 35,000 miles on it with auto trans and still runs excellent)
I'm thinking about cannibalizing the rust bucket for the EFI wiring harness and taking the turbo and goodies from the one with the thrown rod. I'll make the good body drivable again and up the ponies in my little Jeep.
I have a customer by the name of Ralph Meaney who tells me it's doable and the EFI is reliable. (I grew up with British, German and Italian cars so I learned how to fix electrical stuff, but electronics is sort of new to me)
Now that I have caused a gag reflex in many of you, what do you think of my "silly idea" (wife says)
skemcin  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very creative. I owned a postal jeep (DJ5) when I was in college and sold it just a few years ago. Mine had an inline 6 that did pretty well. IT sounds like you've got what you need to do your "silly" project, but I wonder if finding one of the inline 6 motors might fair better? But then again, it doesn't really matter what you take a corner in with one of those (4 banger turbo or inline 6) you still gotta throw your leg out the door (sliding) to counter balance that thing.

Good luck. I say go for it.

When you're done, paint it flat black and tint the windows 20%. Throw some spinners on there and you're all set!

Fun little truck, enjoy...

[reminiscing]
9249206347 - 8k – waiting its resurrection, no power at the fuel pump and fuse #7 blows w/power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
carnuck  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to fix the tippiness with CJ7 widetrack axles. Putting a 6 cyl in isn't so easy as the DJ5 was designed with a shorter nose for the 4 cyl (actually more like a CJ3 high hooder)
I'm just looking for a little more oomph as well as fuel economy. Since the Jeep already has the same engine, I figure it's a fairly easy swap except the wiring.
skemcin  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carnuck wrote:
I plan to fix the tippiness with CJ7 widetrack axles. Putting a 6 cyl in isn't so easy as the DJ5 was designed with a shorter nose for the 4 cyl (actually more like a CJ3 high hooder)
I'm just looking for a little more oomph as well as fuel economy. Since the Jeep already has the same engine, I figure it's a fairly easy swap except the wiring.

Yeah, it will likely be easier to do a same engine swap. I'm trying to remember what year I had, think it was a 72. Will the wide track axles push the wheels out? If so, what will you do about the sliding doors - take them off all together?
9249206347 - 8k – waiting its resurrection, no power at the fuel pump and fuse #7 blows w/power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
carnuck  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably make them different. Late models had cutouts for the tire clearance. It'll be a bit taller too (just enough to clear my 33/9.50/15s)
skemcin  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carnuck wrote:
I'll probably make them different. Late models had cutouts for the tire clearance. It'll be a bit taller too (just enough to clear my 33/9.50/15s)
Going to keep the "Look behind before backing" sticker?
(I think thats what it said on the dash)
carnuck  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going for the new rearview mirror with a rear camera piped into it. (New stuff for RVs)
endwrench  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board!

Let me see if I got this correct. The Jeep is carbed, right? So your gonna convert it to CIS injection with a turbo? I seem to remember reading that the AMC head does not have injector bosses. Is this true? This may be a little more involved than you think but would be pretty cool if you accomplished it.

Todd
carnuck  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of swapping the head complete with the EFI to the Jeep engine (I've yet to check if the gaskets are the same)
v8carreragts  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of the postal jeep engines. They are very similar. They are based on the early 76-77 924 engine. The head has the injector bosses but they are not drilled. The exhaust manifold is different, the intake is different, the front crank pulley is different, the distributor is a points type, the flywheel is different along with the mounts and engine accessories.

But the block is the same and all of the 924 pieces will bolt on. I believe the head gasket is different but the block and head surfaces are the same. Why they used a different gasket???? I don't know.

One other thing, the starter is different. It is based on a Ford starter. I modified my 924 to use this starter because it is more powerful and is much cheaper than the Bosch starter. You just need to use Ford starter solenoid because it isn't mounted on the starter.
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8carreragts wrote:
One other thing, the starter is different. It is based on a Ford starter. I modified my 924 to use this starter because it is more powerful and is much cheaper than the Bosch starter. You just need to use Ford starter solenoid because it isn't mounted on the starter.

Hmmm....this is VERY interesting...can you provide more details?

Carnuck, it's worth pointing out that the 924 NA and 924 Turbo starters are different, AFAIK, they rotate in opposite directions, so this may be another detail you'll have to sort out.
Anhaedra  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:

Carnuck, it's worth pointing out that the 924 NA and 924 Turbo starters are different, AFAIK, they rotate in opposite directions, so this may be another detail you'll have to sort out.

Couldn't you simply reverse the polarity? They are just electric motors, are they not?
J1NX3D  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carnuck wrote:
I was thinking of swapping the head complete with the EFI to the Jeep engine (I've yet to check if the gaskets are the same)

i think you may be thinking the 924 turbo has efi? unfortunately you'd be mistaken. it has CIS mechanical fuel injection.
v8carreragts  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
v8carreragts wrote:

Hmmm....this is VERY interesting...can you provide more details?

The Postal Jeep starter is a Ford starter with a special nose casting. Ford starters don't have solenoids on them, they have them mounted on the fender.(not sure it new Fords are like this) You just run a battery cable with ring terminals on both ends from the Ford solenoid to the starter. You also need to move the other solenoid wires up to the Ford solenoid too.

Quote:

Couldn't you simply reverse the polarity? They are just electric motors, are they not?

No. The starter uses the housing as a ground path so you would need to isolate the starter from the engine and connect the B+ to the starter body. (not a good idea) Plus, the drive mechinism would not work in reverse. It is possible that a rebuilder may be able to build one that spins in reverse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: