Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Interior Rust

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warped  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I was thinking that I might not have too much of a rust problem from my water damage, but now, the more I look at it, and think about it...I'm starting to get worried.

I took some pictures to show you, but I haven't got them onto a web page yet...Until I do, what is everyone experience with rust?

What kind of shop can I take a non running, striped interior car too, so that they can weld a new bottom for my car?

I do not have any holes going through the car, but I do have some crackage (in the corners, and the whole driver and passenger side is covered with a greenish yellow.

More importantly, how much does it cost to have a new bottom welded for a 77 924 Porsche?

Thanks
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that new floor pans would be a lot of money and probably not worth it. The greenish yellow stuff in the corners your seeing sounds more like the glue for the carpets than rust. Post the picts and we'll be able to see it better and help out more.
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're unlikely to find anyone here with experience with rust in the floorpan because they don't.

The only way you get rust in 924 floors is because of a bad repair job and the repair should be obvious. If it hasn't been damaged I'll bet it's not rust you're looking at.
Warped  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as promised here are the pictures of what I'm thinking is rust, or perhaps just glue left over from the carpet...Whatcha think, do I need a new floor pans? Or can I use a rust removal product to get back to nice shinny white metal?

http://ourworld.cs.com/LonSwitzer/myhomepage/artgallery.html
http://ourworld.cs.com/LonSwitzer/april3.JPG
http://ourworld.cs.com/LonSwitzer/april2.JPG

[ This Message was edited by: Warped on 2002-04-16 13:55 ]
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the yellow stuff looks like glue to me. You have a little bit of rust but it doesn't look bad at all. The only two spots I saw were a little ring of it around the circle on the second picture and maybe some in the black spray paint on the first picture.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you got nothing to worry about, it's glue. There is rust around the edges of the circle. Here's why. That's a metal disc that's glued into the floor to fill a hole presumably used in the assembly process. It looks like that disc is rusting around the edges. You could cut it out with a razor knife, clean the rust off and repaint, then glue it back in.

No worries, though - put some carpet on that car! LOL

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
teo  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

No worries, though - put some carpet on that car! LOL

and forget the black carpet set you are looking for, get the one from that other Martini TroyDest have found:
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?topic=2544&forum=3&2

That's what makes it a Martini mostly.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have a problem with a limited amount of rust, I treat the area first with rust converter. It's a liquid with the consistency of water and includes phosphoric acid as the active ingredient. You're supposed to soak the rusted area for a day, so I spray some on and lay paper towels over it and spray some more on top - press the paper towels into complete contact with the metal so the solution is held there. Spritz the are periodically to keep it wet. Well, that was a pain. You could do all of that or get the stuff that come in an aerosol can and is in solution with clear lacquer. I think the brand name is either RustOleum or Naval Jelly and the stuff was formerly marketed by Duro. Save yourself a lot of trouble - buy this and spray it on where it's needed. Then after whichever rust treatment you use, top it with something like POR-15 ("Paint Over Rust"-15). http://www.POR15.COM
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeh - more important than treating the rust - wear a respirator when using anything with phosphoric acid. The stuff eats lungs. Also keep it off the skin - wear rubber gloves.
Joes924  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See not a problem, way to go guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: