Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Timing Belt Prob. in 924S (87)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jennypl  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost a timing belt during my drive (924S, 1987) and then engine went off. There was no loud noise as far as I remember. I was wondering if there is any way I can quickly check (without lots of tools) whether the engine is still operable or not OR needed to rebuilt. Or I should just simply replace timing belt and try if the engine works. Thanks for every comment/suggestion.
exc911ence  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was no hideous noise and you haven't opened up the front of the engine yet, how can you know that it was the timing belt that let go?

If it did go, this is the 2nd post I've seen regarding this in the last couple of months and that makes me very glad that I had mine replaced yesterday!

carnut280  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend takin it to your local Porsche technician. If you live in Colorado, I have known that Jim at Stevinson Imports is REALLY good. he'll tell you the way to keep your car runnin like new. I just bought an '87 924S. he replaced the timing belts, and adjusted it to get it runnin like new. but the best way to make sure your engine isn't dead would be to take it to your tech.
Johnny_924S  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

short answer yes long answer no with a but... that makes no sense i know. anyway if it was your timing belt that let go it is a 100% guarantee that your timing belt went with it. I too was in the same boat last year hoping that the valves wouldnt be bent because all i was doing was cranking mine over not running it. and yes to my dissapointment they were cooked. If your lucky you valves will be bent if your not your head will be cracked and the engine scrap.
Johnny_924S  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm yeah its late and im kinda tired... i sais that if your timimg belt went then its a 100% guarantee that you timing belt went with it.... i meant you valves went with it,,,,
carnut280  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's cool Johnny...we all suffer from bein tired.
gohim  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUMOS Porsche in FL was advertising Porsche Factory Rebuilt 944 cylinder heads last month for only $400. This would be a good way to reduce your total costs for the repairs. The normal cost of repairing a head with bent valves (labor, machining, and parts), and some normal wear (valve guides and valves) is much higher than this.
ghoststorm2002  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that the same question is asked a lot on here but none with the same question as myself..Timing belt spins off but as is no loud noise no terrible clang... now with a new timing belt i have no type of compression what so ever???? Can anyone help??
okay i see now that the bent valves deal is coming into view..kinda what i thought myself plus with a little bit of mech. background that's what i figured...Here is a new one though has anyone had problems with the lower end due to this problem?????

[ This Message was edited by: ghoststorm2002 on 2002-06-12 20:29 ]
gohim  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When any of the major under the timing cover failures occur (water pump, rollers, or pulleys seized and throw the belts, or one of the belts breaks, and throws the other belt), you aren't going to hear much of a noise, and you probably won't get much of a warning either.

That is why it is so important to do you belt maintenance on time (retension every 10K miles, and replace every 30K miles or 3-years, whichever comes first, retensioning for the first time at 2K miles).

You should also replace the rollers, pulleys, water pump, and oil seals on the front of the engine at the same time if you are paying someone to do the service. The parts are only a fraction of the cost of teh labor, and you remove most of these parts to replace the belts anyway.

The 87 944 engine that I picked up a week ago with a broken timing belt looks like it had a head gasket leak that someone tried to fix with leak stopper. The water pump seized because of the leak stopper, and the timing belt broke, bending at least (2) exhaust valves. I am going to rebuild the block and use it with the head salvaged from the broken engine that came with my 87 924S when I bought it, to build a complete replacement engine.

How long was it since you replaced the failed belt, and how many miles did you go before the belt broke?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: