Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Cadillac swap **** 56k warning****
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Cadillac swap **** 56k warning**** Reply with quote

INDEX

Page 1 A little history about why I wanted to do such a crazy project.....pictures before the project started.....removal of the leaning tower of power...pictures of the caddy engine fresh out of the boneyard.

Page 2 The engine overhaul.....custom flywheel....construction of the bellhousing.....The first test fitting of the engine.....oil pan design#1..

Page 3 The moddified Intake manifold...Engine mount design No.#1 and thoughts about redesigning it.....pictures of the Cam card,2bbl rochester carb,starter,alt,and a ideal for designing a alt bracket.

Page 4 Some talk about the mods to the engine and what type of radiator to use.....Construction pictures of oil pan design#2....

Page 5 Shortened oil pump pick-up.....construction of the lower portion of the alt bracket.....technical drawings of the GM bellhousing and the 924 TT flange......Engine mock-up in the car with detailed pics of engine mount design#1.....

Page 6 The "Evolution of the engine mount".....remote oil filter adapter.....construction of the upper portion of the alt bracket.....

Page 7 951 radiator install.....Toyota master cylinder and custom brake pedal.....

Page 8 Brake line install,MC and brake line bleeding....Engine mock-up

Last edited by chad-tanner on Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:15 am; edited 9 times in total
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking for a forum to host a build thread for my 924 engine swap.I am now 6 months and $3000 into the swap.I would like to document the swap so far,before the amounting info and pics becomes overwelming to manage.
Paul  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board, lots of us will be interested in watching your progress.
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
fezza575m  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have found the right place then
flosho  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man, post up! I want to see pictures of this build!

Welcome to the forum.
endwrench  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be very interesting! Is that the 4.1, 4.5 or 4.9L? I've always been impressed the way those motors pushed around those big ole Caddy's. Tons of torque. Do you plan to inject it or carb it some how?

Todd
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First a little history about my project.I am building a car for what I call "boulevard cruising",and the cruise-in type car shows.I am not building a race car.I'm not building a car to beat on.I'll be 28 this may,I'm just not into the "go fast for cheap"small block chevy,built on a budget,kind of thing.done alot of that when I was in highschool,and shortly after.I beat on cars till they broke ,this included my parents vehicals also,some of them were new.I guess we do grow up.Even I can't believe some of the things I did.

Back in 2005 I acquired a mint condition 1992 cadillac deville 50'000 miles ,not a ding, dent or scratch.The car came from a car dealer and collector "world class motor cars"in St Louis,MO. A dealer in sikeston MO acquired it from there.I wanted the car so bad I payed way more than it could ever possibly be worth.I stored it indoors and drove it occasionally. In mid 2006 it started blowing smoke and burning coolent,which was later diagnosed as a leaking intake manifold gasket.I decided to overhaul the engine,and being that I always want to modify everthing.Iwent off reseaching the engine design.I was amazed to find the 4.9 cadillac engine had a very large following by the fiero guys.the cadillac engine is a very common swap in the fiero,because it has the same trans bolt patteren and weights the same as their stock engines.this engine has been modded to death by these guys,even turbochaged.To make a long story short,after 6 months of reseach,thanks to "pennocks fiero forum"and 3 months of actually working on the car,plus $3500 I had a very mean sounding caddy.I took it to the test and tune night at the local1/8 mile track,best pass was 9.60@I can't remember the trap speed,but all were just over 70mph.since then the car has been stored indoors and driven occasionally.

I then wanted to get back into tinking with cars,and build another caddy engine which had now became my hobby.I was planning on buying a fiero,but there is just things I don't like about that car.I liked the porsche 944 and the early datsuns like the 240z.These cars were out of my price range in the condition I wanted.Any 944 I would consider buying was in the 10,000 range.I want a car in near perfect shape no dings or scratches .I have no tools,skills or a place to do body work.I will not buy a car that needs painting.The 924 looked like the best value.To make this story short I found exactly what I was looking for in indiana.

My eyes are tired....to be continued.............

Last edited by chad-tanner on Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:39 pm; edited 4 times in total
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the car I wanted in Indiana.Here is the part that will disappoint everyone.Like I said before, tinking with the 4.9 cadillac engine became a hobby of mine,and I wanted to build a cool looking,sporty car to cruise the bulavards,and show off the grassroots type engineering at the cruise in car shows.

WARNING DISAPOINTMENT AHEAD!!!!
The 4.9 cadillac engine is a long stroke,shallow breathing, low end tork monster,has the rpm range of a tractor trailer truck,makes peek tork at 3000 rpm,and a modded 4.9 will not make power above 5000 without forced induction.It was designed for a auto trans,the factory manual trans ratios for the 924 are the worst match for the engine I have ever seen.even with the highest available gearing,I would have to take off in second gear.first gear would red line at walking speed.An automatic would be great for the type of driving i'm wanting to do, but the problem is everyone says the 924 auto is junk,however the gearing and converter stall speed after allowing for the long caddy stroke is close enough to work.so thats what i'll go with.How long will it last ??????I don't know.I do know it will work in my rpm range,I realize the large amounts of torque will destroy the trans,and will need to be upgraded in the future ,but does not affect the engine swap,because what ever I do for a trans in the future will still use the 924 torque tube.I think the 924 torque tube will handle all the power I will ever make.

Last edited by chad-tanner on Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty clean!
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car I found in columbus indiana is a 771/2 auto with air cond.bought it on ebay 06-16-07 maybe someone here seen it.it had a recent paintjob,gaurds red done by a Professional body shop.the interior
is near flawless. the seats are brand new black with red inserts.someone done one hell of a job on the paint. even though this was a complete color change from white ,you could not tell untill you popped the hood.even the door jams have a mirror finish.Hard to tell from the photos, but the paint is beautiful.The front spoiler is scuffed and bent a little on the right corner.looks like somone drove too far onto a parking bumper. mechanically the car was tip top.everything worked fine.engine started and ran great every time. trans shifted great. engine compartment was the worst part of the car although engine looked somewhat maintained.

I had $2500 invested in car after getting it home.

Last edited by chad-tanner on Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:44 am; edited 2 times in total
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car sat in the corner from June untill Aug,then the tear down began.I guarantee most of you know more about a 924 than I do,so no need for details here.all parts were removed corretly and undamaged.This car seems far more advanced then any american car from the 1970's."how did we ever win the war?" I cut out everthing I thought I would not need, motor mounts and etc. Everything was then stripped and sanded to bare metal,last photo before the paint photo is not how it looked before I painted,I must have lost a pic ,it was cleaner than that before I painted it.I sprayed 3 cans of 1200 degree dupli color ceramic paint,to cover the bare metal.I was looking for a durable low gloss finish.

This will not be the last of the painting.I'll still have some fabrication
to do on the firewall for the engine to fit, plus I still need to strip and paint the battery box and cowling area.

Last edited by chad-tanner on Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
fezza575m  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol you werent wrong about posting some pics and info

Great post....looks really good

Cant wait to read more

Cheers
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: