Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

copper headgasket info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-nick  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all,
i threatened to post a pic of the copper gasket i used which shows how the compression leaked out:

you can see the lines from the cylinders to the outer edge where the compression pushed out.

this was a .050" thick gasket. if the stock NA is .067" and the rule of thumb is .1 compression points for every .005" then i was running ~9.6:1 with euro pistons.

as you can see, you must o-ring the block even with this little amount of compression on a copper gasket. i didn't think i would need to worry about it until the compression approached 11+, but there are just not enough headbolts to hold it in without an o-ringed head.

just an fyi, i thought it was an interesting pic. someday i'll pull the engine back out for a refresh and have it o-ringed.

-nick

[ This Message was edited by: -nick on 2002-04-13 01:39 ]
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is having the head O-ringed?
-nick  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you cut a groove in the head around the circumfrence of the cylinder and insert a bead of metal in the block. so when you mate them there is a lock around each cylinder to hold the compression in.

it's not an expensive process but requires giving the machine shop your head (not such a big deal) and your block (a pita!).

this can be done vice-versa, with the groove in the block etc.

after this process you will never have another headgasket problem. some are hesistant and say that the headgasket is a safety valve keeping pistons and valves from being damaged. i've never heard of anyone having a problem on a well setup engine, it's when you start to skimp that things go wrong.

-nick
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm sounds like a pretty good idea. Are there any advantages to which side you do it on? Will this help for turbo charging applications when you keep the stock 8.5:1 compression?
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah and approximantly how much is it?
-nick  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure if there is an advantage one way or another. give any auto machine shop a call, they're usually pretty interested when you start talking about things like this to them. as for price? i can't really remember what i was quoted, i'm thinking it was under $100 for all four cylinders.'

it works great for any cars that have problems with headgaskets. turbos especially.

-nick
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same exact problem with my copper head gasket. I am going back to the original head gasket. Less mess.

Mine lost compression as well as dripped anti-sneeze

For Sale: One copper head gasket

- Jon McCullough
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll buy that for a dollar!

I'd want the groove to be in the block, as theres more room to work with there.
Richard  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick question. Did you guys use any gasket cement? I thought copper head gaskets were suppose to be sealed with NAPA Hi tack sealer or GM gasket compound or equivalent.
-nick  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use any hylomar sealer. i talked to the manufacturer of mine and he concurred that the motor would not hold in the compression with o-ringing. a flathead ford with a gizillion headbolts yes, 924's with just 8 can't hold it in.

-nick
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there is really no point in doing it for our cars?
-nick  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, the post should have said "would not hold the compression in withOUT o-ringing". if you're running high compression or lots of boost it's worth it.

-nick
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a flathead ford with a gizillion headbolts yes, 924's with just 8 can't hold it in.

I think I figured out your problem! You forgot to put in two of the headbolts!
-nick  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha! sorry, that should be 10 headbolts. this massachusetts heat wave is really going to my head.

-nick
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Eruo 85 block with 9.3 pistons if anyone is interested.

I am in NYC area
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: