Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 turbo rebuild kit???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlthePA  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partwerks sells a 924 turbo rebuild kit on eBay for $99. Anyone got any experience with it? Is this a feasible proposition for the home mechanic?
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally it's feasible if the turbo hasn't froze up or developed some other major problem. In other words, the kits are ok to use at home on a turbo that's still in good condition - one in the kind of condition that you usually wouldn't want to go through the trouble of rebuilding anyway because it doesn't need it yet. -Or one that's spinning freely and not wobbling, but is leaking oil on the inside and leaving a trail of smoke. The thing you have to consider is how much of a pain in the a it is to remove and reinstall the turbo - then decide whether you want to take the chance of maybe having to do that more than once if your rebuild doesn't turn out so good. Personally, I think I'll always go for a professionally rebuilt one.

FrankB  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
just wanted to add my 2 cents. i rebuilt my turbo twice because the first rebuild using a kit did not turn out to well. it is more then a pain to remove the turbo unit. i would advise anyone NOT to rebuild this unit wothout a lift, alot of tools and lost of time. also, dont forget where all the parts go. there are alot.
moreover you could not pay me to get back under my porsche to pull that turbo unit ever again. ill light the car on fire first.
in other words, save up and have a professional do this job or you will end up hateing your car.
its eazyer to pull the engine and rebuild the entire engine first. i would do this if you are thinking about a turbo rebuild.
however, if you dont take this advise and pull the unit. dont forget to replace all the gaskets. even the manifold gaskets.
email me with any questions. put inthe subjet line: Porsche 924T. and ill get right bakt to you.
good luck,
frank
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebuilding that turbo is a bear of a job. I'd BUY the kit, if it's better or as good as the Automotion kit, and give the kit to a pro.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone else has taken out and put back in their turbo without removing the head or manifold (or engine). I did mine this way (twice) about 6 or 7 years ago.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be useful to have that procedure documented.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not too fresh in my mind exactly the steps I went through, but just to know that it can be done should be helpful to some. I do remember doing it during a heatwave on the driveway with a tarp set up over the car attached to the house for some relief. -And to reach the bolts to remove and reattach the oil line to the top of the turbo, I had every extension available attached together and taped to form the most ridiculous looking 3/8" socket wrench ever. I think it was about 2 feet long. I'll take a look at the engine and see if I can remember any more details
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One important detail is to also hold the bolts to the end of the ridiculous 2' socket wrench assembly with tape for reattachment. I used plastic electrical tape. Also from a quick look in there, I can tell you that I removed the front stabilizer bar and dropped the steering assembly out of the way. Bolts attaching the exhaust to the turbo were removed from below and I do remember having to turn and angle the turbo a certain way to get it out and back in from below, but I guarantee I won't be recalling details of that except that it was removed toward the front of the car. Also - the timing belt cover was (still is) removed.

One other thing - for anyone that might want to disassemble their turbo - before taking it apart put a straight line across the whole assembly from compressor to center to turbine so that when it comes time to put it back together, you can line everything up and have both ends and the center oriented correctly. Otherwise, your bolts won't line up and you'll be wanting to set the car on fire. Maybe even shoot a Polaroid of it before disassembly and do the marking with a center punch or small chisel so you don't loose your marks while cleaning
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that might help, though I don't remember if I did this or not: Jack up the engine a little. This would increase your clearance slightly for removing the turbo from below.
numbers  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine straight by the Haynes. I did it over the winter, and sent the turbo off for rebuild. It was several years ago, so I don't remember the details, but I do remember that it was a PITA, and that I never want to do it again.
Paul  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the motor or have Porsche do it (2 year parts and labor warranty!)

Pulling the motor allows you to actually torque everything correctly and reduces the time under the car busting knuckles and cussing. It also allows one to take a good look at the exhaust manifold, the motor mounts and exhaust manifold studs, many times they need attention.

This is definitely the hardest part to change on this car. Anytime I lack the motivation to do it myself, I just take it into Porsche for an estimate. Talk about motivation!
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the turbo without pulling the head or engine. It wasn't really that difficult. In fact, the only real problems were getting the bolts off that hold the mount to the engine block (I only got 3 of them back in) and getting the actual turbo on. I have three studs mounting the turbocharger to the exhaust manifold (unlike the factory two bolts and one stud) and had to take one stud out to get the turbo to go up. After I figured that out it was pretty easy. Some of the bolts are a tight squeeze, but honestly, it's much less work than doing the clutch.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I didn't even remove the turbo mount from the block. Just removed the two fasteners from the top of the mount that hold the turbo to it. That's what the 2' long wrench was for. -And I think I left the oil line attached to the top of the mount.
John Brown  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Al is going to be too daunted by the task of pulling the turbo! Hi Al.

You goin to join us a VIR in September?

Drove throught Virgilina April on the way to the motel for the Zone 2 event.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: