Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Turbo 3.8L Engine (924)?????
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cbass  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time involved doesn't concern me a great deal. So you figure around $400 total?
Cbass  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time involved doesn't concern me a great deal. So you figure around $400 total?
John H  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass,
I've mentioned it in another thread - if you're going to do the synchro's try to replace the dog teeth as well as the brake bands and the sliding sleeve.
2nd gear dog teeth are hard to find but 3 to 5 are 915 type. As a last resort if 4th is notchy then you can take the dog tooth off and put it on 5th and 5th onto 4.
I did this with mine about 10 years ago and replaced the brake bands and sleeves. Box has done 10 seasons racing and still going strong - it also gets used as an every day car (260,000 miles) so unless you can get all the peices cheap or free I'd stick to the snail shell

[ This Message was edited by: john h on 2002-05-17 07:27 ]
Cbass  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The synchro for 2nd is shot, I don't know whether it's the ring or the dog teeth. Is there a tranny rebuild document you know of?

What I might just do is replace the 2nd gear synchro ring, and drive it as such until I get a 931 tranny and torque tube for the 5 cyl.
numbers  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ring is what is causing your problem, but the dog teeth may be worn if you or the PO did much gear grinding after the ring started slipping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: