Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Project RX924 begins!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bass gt wrote:
Andrew,

VERY nice work, should go well. Funny thing is i've often thought about this conversion, but with the later generation turbo rotary motor. How much bigger are the last gen motors compared to the 12A? Is it a feasible swap, or not worth considering?

Steve

I've since found out that the clutch spline on the later 13B's might be the same as the 944 driveshaft, so it could be even easier than what I've done. I also found this link http://rotarynews.com/node/view/222 which shows a 924 with a series V 13B turbo in it, so it must be possible! I would think you'd have to shorten the torgue tube slightly though, as the engine is longer than the 12a and would cause problems with the steering.
I had to stick with the 12a for class reasons, but now they're talking about allowing 13Bs next season

I like the balance of the car with the rotary.
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
bass gt  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew,

Thanks for that. I have this sick desire to slot a late turbo motor, fully tricked out, peripheral ported, the full monty. Love that "Brap, brap, Brap" of the rotaries, and spinning to 9-10K seems a hoot.

Steve
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some progress again over the last couple of days. The bellhousing is now machined to take an extra bearing, and the outer housing for the bearing helps to centralise it in the torque tube.

It took a lot of fiddling around, but I finally got everything to mate up for the new clutch, and installed the 924S gearbox and torque tube.

The whole team came around yesterday and helped to put the engine in and get it running again - it makes so much difference when you have 6 guys working on the car at the same time! I really couldn't ask for a better service crew

The clutch slave cylinder gave up the ghost, so we couldn't check the clutch, and I still have to finish the exhaust and brakes. Hopefully it'll be all finished by next weekend ready for a test drive.
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
Khal  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh... coincidence... I just searched for this thread, without looking in the forum first, 'cause I figured it would've dropped off the front page and I was wondering what was happening with it. I was gonna post a "what's up?" msg.

Whaddaya know, Andrew NZ posted yesterday...
J1NX3D  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the car is looking and sounding really good. the team is getting a really good buzz of expectation. targa in 5 weeks!

Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's a video of the first start up after reinstalling the engine - proof that it does actually work (even if we hadn't installed the exhaust or tuned it yet)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbFsKy-Xm-0
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
Power Tryp  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering but do you know how much weight that trims off the car? I can't wait to hear how it changes the handling dynamics.

Tryp

Green tartan interior, you don't see that on a Civic.
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power Tryp wrote:
Just wondering but do you know how much weight that trims off the car? I can't wait to hear how it changes the handling dynamics.

The weight is 1010kg in street legal trim, but without the rally sump guards.

Some thougts on the way it feels with the rotary in this thread http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=27382&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=targa&start=15
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
J1NX3D  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics from todays shakedown and sponsors ride at the track.

Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, time for another update!

The car seems to be all working now, but I guess time will tell. The new torquetube with extra bearings has held up so far (touch wood ), and the realigning of the bellhousing also seems to have done the trick.

Off on a rally tomorrow, so will update again afterwards.
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car was running well before the rally, so we trailered it down to Rotorua (about 4 hours from Auckland) in time for scruitineering and Documentation on Friday. Checked it thoroughly after unloading off the trailer and discovered the stick on front demister was not working (essential with early starts in the middle of winter, in what threatened to be a very wet weekend) Quickly patched it up with a bit of super glue and race tape and took the car to parc ferme and signed in.

The engine had a mysterious ignition failure waiting to start at the first stage, but was soon solved and ran faultlessly for the rest of the rally - I love rotaries! All went well on Saturday with only a few minor things to sort out at the service stops - retighten a front wheel bearing that had been replaced the day before, replace an accelerator spring that had broken in the middle of a stage (luckily we run two), and solve an oil leak in a cooler hose fitting.

The car went very well in the wet conditions, and really has potential when I finally learn how to drive

At the end of day one we were 2nd classic Porsche, 8th in our class, and 20th overall in the classic competition.

We made it back to the final overnight service and parked it up while we had some dinner and let the rain ease off. Disaster struck when we tried to restart it though, as the clutch wouldn't dissengage! After a mad panic we decided to withdraw for the night and find a dry garage to work on the problem through the night.

I was over the moon when I got a call from my crew chief to say it was fixed just as I was handing in the withdrawal form. Great news - no penalties!

Sunday morning started well again, and we even got the quickest time for a classic Porsche on the second stage. The third stage brought heartbreak again though as the clutch started playing up through the stage, then completely gave up the ghost on the way back to service. The crew worked on it for about an hour trying everything we could, but nothing fixed it. I suspect that it might be the spigot bearing binding on the input shaft, but won't know until we get the engine out over the next couple of weeks.

We could have finished the rally by starting it in gear each time we had to come to a complete stand still in the touring stages, but I decided not to risk damaging things further.

Had a lot of fun and spent a lot of time sideways, so even though we had to pull out part way through I'm happy with the progress.
12a bridgeport supercharged
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J1NX3D wrote:
the car is looking and sounding really good. the team is getting a really good buzz of expectation. targa in 5 weeks!

Those vent inserts are way cool. Custom made?
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cheap chinese made vents I found a few years ago. Haven't seen them since sorry.
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pulled the engine out last night and found the problem. With everything disconnected we slid the engine forward to slide it off the shaft, but it only went about 15-20mm and wouldn't go any further. After a lot of levering with crow bars I had the bright idea of just unbolting the pressure plate through the starter hole, and it came straight out.

We had originally worked out we had a problem with clearance between the spline of the driveshaft and the end of the eccentric shaft when we got the bellhousing on the torque tube before it was in the car (the 944 shaft stuck out a couple of mm further than the 924 one had), and thought we'd solved this by loosening the connecter sleve at the gearbox and tapping it through.

It's either come loose and slid back towards the engine, or expanded when hot and taken up the clearance we had as the two shafts were binding causing the effect of the clutch not disengaging. As a result there was also a big burr on the end of the spline which was stopping the shaft sliding out of the clutch plate when trying to remove the engine.

The good news is that the spigot shaft and bearing is all fine so at least it's nice and central now.

I'll keep you all posted on the repairs. I also intend to add an oil baffle plate to the engine while it's out and sort out some leaky oil cooler lines/fittings.
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine is back in again now, with all drive shaft issues finally sorted (I'm asking for trouble now ). I've also added a sump baffle plate and upped the oil pressure while the engine was out. Should have it running again this weekend.
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: