Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Any of you used 3M ?scuffguard?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you start painting take off the spoiler. Just a couple of nuts and bolts and it is very easy. Straighten out the dings and dents. Sand and then repaint. It is only a thin piece of metal and straightens out nicely. If you want put on a coat of Bondo or polyester sand and paint.
Diesel  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spoiler is painted the same custom color as the rest of the car, it's in good shape too. I just noticed on my new Jetta they used that textured stuff just like on the old Porsche and it looks pretty nice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAPA should carry 3M brand "rock guard"... they do here in Canada. It can be applied over you existing paint by simply sanding the area prior to spraying. The problem will be you will need to top coat the 'rockguard' after it is applied... it comes in black or beige spary bombs and shultz gun style. The other proble you will have is a visible paint ridge from masking the cut off point of the application. When I apply the rock guard I always feather the ridge out so it has a gradual blended look and doesn't jump out at you. Some factory mud flaps would lessen the problem IF they exist.
Diesel  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top coat? You mean paint? I don't want to do that, I'd rather have something that went on over the existing paint that was semi-transparent so you could get the color through it. I know, I don't ask for much!
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the clear film on a roll -
Enter "paint" in the "Search Catalog"-"Keyword" field to the left - that will bring up a bunch of selections, then click on "paint protection film":

http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/shop.d2w/report

(This is only working for me in MS Internet Explorer today. No luck with Netscape.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry.... if you want the same protection that the factory "rock guard" gives that wiould be the only way. I have no experience with the clear protection ..... I know it is a curse to take back off when doing body work! If you have rock chips, do you want to have them visable through the clear protection?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: ADAM!! on 2002-03-29 22:58 ]
awilson40  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys...
I found this place that mixes touch up paint in a spray can. They can mix any color.
http://nmbpaint.com
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that!
numbers  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a product called Chip Guard on my spoiler several years ago and it holds up pretty well. it is a clear rubberized coating that goes over your existing color with no sanding. It does leave a masking line that is hard to rub out into a blend because of the rubbery texture. However, the masking line does not look bad, as it is obvious that the area is coated for protection. I bought it in an automotive paint store. I believe it was a SEM product.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: