Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

filling trans oil in '80 931

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom_in_LA  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a recent owner of an '80 931, can someone give me some pointers on changing the transmission oil ? I've located what I believe is the drain plug at the bottom of the final drive case (as shown in Haynes) and what I believe to be the fill plug at the pass. side of the trans. case (Haynes calls this a drain plug as well), my assumption is that these are connected and I just drain from the lower one and fill from the higher one, if this is correct then there's the additional problem of a piece of bracket/support right next to the fill plug which would definitely get in the way of removing the plug and filling new oil. There is only about an inch and a half of clearance between the bracket and the plug which is not enough room to use a rachet and hex head adaptor, what is the trick to remove this plug ? I notice Performance Products sells a 17mm Allen wrench, but it's hard to tell from the picture whether it would squeeze in that tight space. Any advice would be appreciated
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1" length cut from a 17mm allen wrench, which I then use a 17mm wrench or large socket on. To refill I use a handy pump which screws onto the top of my trans fluid bottle, with a tube that I can snake up to the trans.

That reminds me, I gotta change the tranny fluid on my cars this spring - better order up my Redline!!!

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Michael Kouridakis  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of a cut 17mm hex wrench I bought a 1" (or so) 17mm bolt and acouple of 17mm nuts. Thread the first nut onto the bolt and thghten it down hard then thread the second nut down and really tighten the two nuts together. It'll cost about $1.oo. PEP Boys sell the nuts and bolts and the pump Vaughan mentions. Just buy youself some extra tubing to reach the fill port.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: