Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

The Most Practical Swap
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porsche924boy  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: The Most Practical Swap Reply with quote

Ok a friend of my grandmals drives this VW Golf, now if I rember right the older golfs were rear wheel drive. No I think this on is, but I was wondering if the little EFI 4 cyclinder out of one would bolt up to the bellhousing of the porsche? To me it makes more since to try and get it off her, when I get the chance, and put that in my car, or just find a wrecked one where the engine is good, and throw it in there. But I would like to see your guy's idea for practical swaps. See I think a SR20DET, or RB26DETT, would be pratical yet relevant swaps. Any ideas, cause I'm going to pull the 924 out and start playin with it again, see if I can get it running, but I'm to the point I think a VW or Audi engine that is fuel injected would git my needs.

Auto Technician Diploma
Diesel Technician Diploma
Rich H  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old Golfs, (well all golfs bar the 4x4 one) are front wheel drive. Dunno about the bolt pattern but the Mk1 all had CIS and the biggest was 1.8 if memory serves

Not alot of point, may as well fit another N/A lump
1953 Landrover S1 - Pensioner Spec
Porsche924boy  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I didn't know they were front wheel drive (Not that into golfs) Ok, I'm going for something that would bolt up easily. Something audi. So I'm looking.

Auto Technician Diploma
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW/Audi 100LS bolts in.
Porsche924boy  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100LS? Ok I'll look for one. Thanks never knew that, are they EFI?

Auto Technician Diploma
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 100 engine can be adapted to use CIS, so it is not too hard to swap one into the 924. The parts are readily available to fit CIS to the 100 engine, who knows, you may even have some of the parts lying around at home? With CIS and a proper head, the 100 engine in "stock" form can make anywhere from 95 to 125 hp depending on the compression ratio. All-in-all it is an ideal choice for a 924 engine swap.

Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche924boy  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I want a EFI engine, not a damned CIS (Yeah the Porsche/Audi/Volkswagon gods are going to be mad at me) Like a Audi A8 4.3 V8, or some Audi V6. But today during study hall I was thinking, would it be worth converting the engine to a Ford 351 and take the transaxle off, and put a four speed on the engine, and put a ford 9 inch in the rear, would that work? I mean it would be hard work, but it would make a good project for me, rebuild the 351W to a 396 Stroker (Yes thats a ford engine) and take a 4 speed from some car, or truck, and put a 9 inch rear end in it with 4.10/4.11 gears and a CF driveshaft. But thats alot of details, but I know where the engine, the rear end, and a automatic transmission (put a shift kit in it, and a slap shifter on it) but yeah, any audi engine that are EFI, and could be bolted to the transaxle, I would be so happy if you guys told me.

Auto Technician Diploma
Rich H  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt any of those come in as a practical swap!!

20v 5pot would be nice, might even be able to bolt some bits in direct. Audi V8, V6 or 1.8T would also make for an awesome car (How about a VAG Diesel Turbo?) while remaining sort of true to the whole 50/50 weight thing.

Junking the transaxle will mean alot of work and alot of mounts and brackets to make it fit.

Mostly it depends on what you want from the car.
1953 Landrover S1 - Pensioner Spec
germ924  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: same as below Reply with quote

practical swap... well i have been reading, because i am planning on converting my car in to a rally..
i am with you guys on this because i never was to happy on the LT1 and the v8's in a porsche, but i think im going to put in a small block.. I need the power.. where can i get the conversion for the torque tube and bell housign.. i am going to gut it from the front seats back. and replace the hatch with a bmw truck and plexi glass window for less weight.
what are your ideas because i am open for ideas... always
Porsche924boy  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, a 351 isn't a practical swap, but I want a audi engine I can bolt up, or easily bolt up to the beelhousing, and work using the current transaxle I have.

Auto Technician Diploma
endwrench  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche924boy wrote:
Ok I want a EFI engine, not a damned CIS (Yeah the Porsche/Audi/Volkswagon gods are going to be mad at me) Like a Audi A8 4.3 V8, or some Audi V6. But today during study hall I was thinking, would it be worth converting the engine to a Ford 351 and take the transaxle off, and put a four speed on the engine, and put a ford 9 inch in the rear, would that work? I mean it would be hard work, but it would make a good project for me, rebuild the 351W to a 396 Stroker (Yes thats a ford engine) and take a 4 speed from some car, or truck, and put a 9 inch rear end in it with 4.10/4.11 gears and a CF driveshaft. But thats alot of details, but I know where the engine, the rear end, and a automatic transmission (put a shift kit in it, and a slap shifter on it) but yeah, any audi engine that are EFI, and could be bolted to the transaxle, I would be so happy if you guys told me.

Probably not that easy. If you take a look at Applebits posts here:

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=13183&start=45

you'll see it aint that easy even for a "professional"

Todd
jamez  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can attest that it is not easy to put a V8 in a porsche, but if someone that claims to be a "professional" can't do it they aren't trying hard enough. I did it on a college student's budget and time schedule and am definately not a pro.

There is no "practical" swap in a 924, but why waste so much time and money to put in an engine that is barely better than the stock engine?

just my two cents

Jamez
Porsche924boy  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cause any motor that runs is better than my stock one, I'm messing with getting the stock one running, but if it won't run then to hell with it.

Auto Technician Diploma
CBass  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche924boy wrote:
Cause any motor that runs is better than my stock one, I'm messing with getting the stock one running, but if it won't run then to hell with it.

Not to sound like a total asshole, but maybe if you can't get the stock engine running, an engine swap is a little outside the scope of your abilities.

The 924 bellhousing pattern is common with the Audi 5 cylinder engines. You can use a 931 hydraulic bellhousing and clutch disc with an Audi flywheel and pressure plate. You will have to fabricate motor mounts. You will have to wire the engine. You will have to sort out the coolant hoses, etc.

The VW 4 cylinder bellhousing pattern is not common. The only way you could achieve this is to fabricate a new bellhousing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: