Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Ideola's Ultra Wide Body 931 Build (Master Thread)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RC  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you appear determined to persevere with the CIS, as others have recommended, strongly suggest getting an accurate O2 sensor system or EGA.

For the cost of one modified distributor I can sell you a tried and proven, easy to use, programmable ignition system incorporating a high energy coil driver. Have used it successfully for years and it works perfectly. Just dont need it now as I`ve given CSI the flick and gone EFI.

Roger
endwrench  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos for opening this up for spirited discussion . My two cents: of coarse, I'm in the EFI camp being one of the first here to go with MS BUT if you are insistent on starting with CIS may I suggest you at least take RC up on his offer of a programmable ignition. If you can control and change the curve you should be able to control whether your engine detonates itself while tuning the CIS. You can start with very little advance and watch (log) your A\F ratios with a (required ) WB. You can begin to dial in more advance while watching for detonation and A\F changes.

If it were me (ha!) I would build and install a MegaJoltLiteJr. This would give you everything you need plus it would migrate very nicely to most any other EFI system you should decide on later. It is based on the Ford EDIS system. You could have this all plugged in and tuned before going EFI so this would be one less variable you would have to deal with. Afterwords, you can just sell the MJLJ unit to some board member and let them start their EFI project.

With that said, don't let EFI intimidate you. If you wait for some sort of Whizzbang Bolt-on Start-on-the-first-crank kit, it ain't ever gonna happen. You might find someone who will be happy to take your money and blow smoke up your ass but in the end, it will be up to you or your tuner to do the hard work of making it right. The process will have back steps and frustrations but in the end it is very satisfying. You are lucky in that there are literally thousands of people who have been there, done that, who will help you out in various message boards. This is especially true with MS. Hell, you have a small army right here on this board who will bend over backwards to help you out. Even Min !

Todd
endwrench  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bass gt wrote:
Dan,

Regarding your plans for X/Y/Z levels of boost. Don't think in these terms. Do your calcs and choose the turbo carefully for the power you want. If you say you want 300 BHP, and fit the appropriate turbo, it wont suddenly support 400 BHP just by winding the boost up. Don't forget, the heat rise from the turbo will be an almost exponential rise. Just piling in more boost will not keep adding X BHP. You will quickly notice that whereas the first 1 psi provided a given HP jump, keep winding it up and you will see that rate of increase quickly diminishes.

Just to make this point, remember that boost pressure is just a measure of resistance. Bass gt's 250Hp is made on just 12lbs of boost compared to a guessimated 170HP I am making on 10.5lbs of boost. I'm running a 924 head and intake system with a fairly high flow exaust. Bass gt is running a super hogged 931 head with custom everything. Less resistance.

I think the best example of this is Leadfoots setup. He was running 10lbs of boost with a 924 head and a supercharger. He switched to a 931 head and a custom intake and his boost dropped to 6.5lbs (IIRC) and his power level went up!. Flow from the supercharger stayed exactly the same but "resistance" in the intake track was lower allowing more flow to make it to the combustion chamber with less pressure. Of coarse, he couldn't leave well enough alone and turned the boost back up to 10lbs and now has so much power his clutch slips even though he wont admit it .

Todd
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

endwrench wrote:
Kudos for opening this up for spirited discussion .

I'm all about a good lively discussion!!!

RC wrote:
I can sell you a tried and proven, easy to use, programmable ignition system

Roger, I'm all ears. If I went this route first on the wide body project, I could just move it to one of my other cars later...so, I'm all ears. Please send me a PM with details.

endwrench wrote:
you have a small army right here on this board who will bend over backwards to help you out. Even Min !

How about this. I will start putting together a consolidated list of everything required...a glorified shopping list. You all can help me "tune" it to my requirements. Once I've acquired it, I'll come back for instructions. We'll document everything here, and voila, we should have a complete tutorial.

The next step is intake mods. It's a pretty simple modification that is designed primarily around easing the intercooler plumbing. I'm hoping to get started on that in September. When it's done, I'll post pix, and then we can start in earnest on the EFI stuff. In the meantime, I am really keen to extrude hone the intake+head+exhaust+turbo housings, but it's not cheap. That will need to be done before any of the head work or turbo work can commence, so it (or more specifically, the funding for it ) is the gating factor right now on the project.

I should have added a wideband setup to the list. It's been in the plans, just forgot to list it. A local source can get a very nice setup (can't remember the brand) for about 1/2 the price of the LM-1 stuff. The wideband is essential, IMO, regardless of what I do for fuel deliver

Steve, I'm curious as to what you're using for head gasket. When I settle on the final plans for the short block (knife-edging, girdle, etc.) I'll plan to have it o-ringed.
Min  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
OK, Min, it's put up or shut up time. If you can provide a comprehensive list of EVERY part, along with a complete instructional guide documenting the complete installation process, soup to nuts, and PROVE to me that it can be done for less than $1500, and will work the first time I turn the key, you win. I'll change my plans and include EFI in the first stage build. Hell, I might even divert some of my project funds to a preliminary setup on my 941 if it's as cheap and easy as you suggest. Trust me, I'd love nothing better than for you to win that argument!!!! Don't forget to include baseline ignition curves and fuel maps, 'cause I'll be needing all of that.

I made no claims this time around ideola. Your the one saying that a pro setup and megasquit are going to cost almost the same with all new components. The burden of proof is on you. Show us your data. I will not spend a few hours searching for pricing on parts, for you. Sorry. I already provided pricing that shows you can do it inexpensively, so, lets see you provide pricing that shows otherwise. Sure you can throw together a expensive system if your buying yourself 1000cc injectors, or a custom made this, or custom made that. Lets see some reasonable figures for new gear.

ideola wrote:
It would be wonderful just to have the IM logs from your sessions with Lizard. I'm sure they would be revealing to everyone. And just so you don't misinterpret...I have NO doubt re: your ability to get EFI up and running, at least eventually. But frankly, of all the modifications I'm tackling, EFI is still one of the murkiest, least documented areas of engine tuning I've uncovered. No one in the open-source world has the discipline to document the process with any degree of precision, and no one in the pro tuner market is going to disclose their secrets.

I'll give you a summary it was pretty simple.......

Min: It didn't start? ... ok, send me your msq.
*loads msq*
Min: ok, change this setting, and that setting, and did you do this? did you do that? ... ok good. Try it now.

vroom.

Flosho's was much more involved, becuase he had some wiring issues. And is using megasquit I extra code would I'm not as familiar with.

If you want the actual log of me and lizard, I'd have to see if I was logging at that time, and ask lizards permission to post it.

ideola wrote:
So, am I scared to try EFI? No. Am I intimidated by the lack of clear concise good information? Yes. The only decent writeup I've seen is Nick's, and believe me I've read it over and over. But it is by no means a bullet proof manual, and there are a couple of areas where the phrase "you're on your own" comes into play.

So you want someone to hold your hand then? .... of course your on your own, your on your own the moment you take your motor out and decide stroking it is a good plan. There are thousands of EFI users on the megasquirt forum, and quite a few people running EFI here now. So what information is required? the megamanual is pretty clear, and concise. It hand holds you step by step through the process.

ideola wrote:
As for my insistence with dealing in facts and figures? Because that's what convinces people. Opinions might be persuasive, but facts and figures are convincing. I want to be convinced, not persuaded.

Except that you've proven yourself skeptical of everything. You havn't given my any reason to provide 'facts and figures' for a project that I have no vested interest in. I'd like to see your project suceed, which is the only reason I added my opinion to the pool.

My biggest problem is your throwing out vague quatifying figures, about how things cost this much, or that much, and then yourself havn't shown us any of these facts and figures that you want. You say that recurving a distibutor will cost less than a DIS system, well ... lets see the data? show us were you got your information. A megasquirt costs as much as a pro system? ..... data? facts? figures? You've got them, or you wouldn't be saying these things.

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to everything you just said.

As noted in the opening post, EFI is under investigation and remains on the roadmap.
PwrGTOGuy  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, since it's open and i'm game... I'll throw out my "new" plans for my 931.

Well, Initally was going to do efi using an endwrench fuel rail. My MS and EDIS are sitting on my work bench all ready to go... In fact, I had a set of 24lb injectors that I could throw on just to get the system and start it...

But, I have since changed my idears... I'm ditching the stock intake, turbo, exhaust... really, the only thing i'm going to keep is the head and block...

I'm replacing the intake with a custom ITB setup... I'm working with a company now, it will be a surprise, but I think you'll all like it...

I purchase and build my ms and edis for around 400 w/ fuel rail... that would have started the car.

Just my .02 cents... I would love to know where you are sourcing some of those "custom" block and head parts... I had trouble finding places myself... even with your locations on the first page.

Min: wanna hook a brother up when I finally install my MS system?
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the sources for the engine work are local speed shops here in Detroit. Anyone who wants info, I can send the appropriate coordinates, including specific contact people (I find it's best to work with a specific person who has at least seen a Porsche part once or twice). Let me know what you're after, and I will share all the info I have.

{EDIT}
For starters:
Diamond Pistons. Ask for Eric. But whatever you do, don't mention Hausbrauen or Mark Johnston.
Holbrook Racing. Ask for Chris Holbrook. He took over the business his dad started over 50 years ago. Incidentally, he has a car that routinely runs low 6 second quarter miles at the Milan Dragway. Granted, we're not building drag cars, but DAMN! a 6 second car is just unbelievable to see!
Performance Crankshaft doesn't have a web presence...it is basically a one man crank genius operating out of a co-location with Chap Automotive Distributors. The physical location is 2841 E Grand Blvd, Detroit, MI 48211, (313) 873-6588. But you need to call (586)776-1162 and ask for A.W. Brown
Crankshaft Craftsmen is another local resource specializing in crank mods. They do a TON of work, unreal how many cranks are just laying around that place. But I felt more comfortable with AW, plus he was about $100 less.
Crower Rods. Ask for Kerry Novak when you call.
Eurorace is now operating under another name, which escapes me at the moment. In any event, the website is useless. Just call (800)722-8678 and ask for Jorge (that's pronounced "hor-hay", not "George")
Min  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
to everything you just said.

As noted in the opening post, EFI is under investigation and remains on the roadmap.

Nice.

You won't believe what I say unless you get logfiles. You've been skeptical of everything I've ever posted. And now, you roll your eyes when I ask -you- to put up or shut up.

I guess that means you've chosen the shutting up route. Fine with me.

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
macBdog  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakdown of my MS costs:

MS unit: $140
Injectors: $90
Fuel rail: $180
TPS, CLT and IAT sensors: $80
Fast Idle solenoid: $40
Braided hose and fittings: $200
Wiring & relays: $40
Steel for pipes and brackets: $20

Total $790

Fuel only. For spark as well prob add on $200 for some EDIS luvin.

Thats including a clean and bench test of injectors and some idiot tax added on from when I shot an injector across the workshop with compressed air and broke the pintle.

EDIT: ok add on $60 for a fuel reg and $50 for an O2 sensor and bung. Hahah. Bung.
I'm still convinced the word 'Porsche' makes people crazy in all kinds of ways
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Min, it was my challenge, not yours. You've chosen to shut up. I've already documented where I came up with my guestimate on costs for EFI. The true costs for a well-executed MS setup seem to be in the $1100-$1500 range as I've maintained all along. As for the cost of a pro setup, yeah, they're a little more, like maybe double...$1500 for a controller, and then about the same for sourcing all the other bits. So what. I'm not conceding any point at all. And for crying out loud, I've SAID ALL ALONG I'M GOING TO DO EFI. It's just a question of when. And No, I don't really want your IM logs...I was making a point.

Endwrench
You posted some interesting comments regarding flow. Based on what I've read (don't have the practical experience yet), I believe there is merit to the extrude hone and head mods I mentioned for precisely the reasons you posted: better flow=more power. As for Leadfoot's slipping clutch, that is precisely why I'm going with the 915 pressure plate...twice the clamping force of stock

Steve
Regarding your comments on progressive boost, here is what I was thinking (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). The K27 cold side seems to be capable of producing the flow requirements I'm looking for. Combine that with a 1.4 spring in the wastegate and a boost controller. The K27 is plenty capable of producing the desired flow at 1.4 bar. I also believe the K27 will produce boost at the RPM range I want. As for low-end torque, well, hopefully the stroke and displacement mods will address some of those issues.

But back to the topic of boost...my understanding of the boost controller is that it allows me to set the desired boost level. Fuel delivery concerns notwithstanding, this is how I was planning to start at a low boost setting, and slowly increment up, carefully monitoring air/fuel (with a wideband setup). So I would be using the same wastegate and turbo combination, just controlling the boost via the controller. I understand that there are diminishing returns at the high end of a compressor's capability, but based on my research, I expect to be right in the sweet spot of what the K27 can do, meaning lots of boost being produced efficiently, translating to lower temps than if I were running a stock K26 setup. If there's a reason you think this won't work, I'm interested.

Here's the K27 unit that will be the basis for my hybrid build:

Here's a compressor map for the K27:

Raceboy  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, my VEMS conversion AND turbocharging of my white 924 NA cost me 1600$. I did all of the work myself also.
I used ALL new sensors and ignition components.

Going EFI is the best upgrade I've done to 924.
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to budge in...i have chosen not to go EFI myslef...for now.

I was thinking...what the hell are these guys making such a fuss about EFI..besides its still the same gas that goes in and sure the fact that you run EFI with continous injector flow or seqvential is not affecting performance...just fuel consumption...so until now its the same to use CIS or EFI. But then i figured....what if you mod your engine...and because of those mods...the flow between lets say 4000 and 4700 RPM is way way bigger than you would have expected due to unknown or known variables. The CIS has its own fuel pressure and fuel flow curve...the problem seems to be that these curves cannot be altered within a small RPM range....so what EFI offers (i understood this by reading some stuff on some links that i was given by board members, i hope i did not missunderstand ) is a high resolution fuel delivery fully adjustable curve....so when your engine goes lean between 4000RPM and 4700RPM and runs just sweet at all the rest of the RPM...you just put some higher numbers at that RPM range and the injectors open more or whatever the do and the engine runs stoich at all times aprox
bass gt  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

I'm using the TurboSmart boost controller, and i must say it works very well. There are 6 user definable boost levels, and it allows you to clamp the wastegate shut, to prevent creep. This is actually what i use it for.
One thing to think about is running the wastegate seperately from the main exhaust. It will allow the turbo to breathe a lot easier.
Now don't forget that any controller will only allow you to run higher boost levels than the base wastegate spring value. I would recommend fitting a very light spring, or running the wastegate outlet seperate from the main exhaust system. This will effectively lower the wastegate spring value, as there is no reverse pressue on the valve. You can then slowly up the boost with the controller while keeping an eagle eye on the WB Lambda sensor output.
If it's of any interest, i can send you the fuel and ignition charts from my DTA ECU. You can download the software for free to view.
I would recommend using manifold pressure compensations from a base setting as this will follow whatever boost you are running.
I know this has been said a few times already, but i would really reecommend you fit the EFI from the start. If you work out the time/cost for modifying the CIS, which you will then remove, i think it's worth biting the bullet and going the whole hog. Todd ( Endwrench) has more fuel rails coming available in the very near future, and things like coil, injectors, sensors can be had from ebay for buttons. Having no experience of MegaSquirt i can't comment, but a decent ECU can be had again from Ebay and your set.
Whatever route you choose, i sounds a cracking build!.

All the best,

Steve
Min  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
Min, it was my challenge, not yours. You've chosen to shut up. I've already documented where I came up with my guestimate on costs for EFI. The true costs for a well-executed MS setup seem to be in the $1100-$1500 range as I've maintained all along. As for the cost of a pro setup, yeah, they're a little more, like maybe double...$1500 for a controller, and then about the same for sourcing all the other bits. So what. I'm not conceding any point at

So, you've documented all this, and expect me to go dig up those same numbers, when you could just post yours? ... why should I waste my time again?

You finally admit that a pro setup is 'a little more' 'maybe double' .... There you go. Maybe double is nowhere near 'a little more'. These vague quatifying figures work well don't they? ...

ideola wrote:
And No, I don't really want your IM logs...I was making a point.

And what point was that exactly? Whatever it was, it was pretty badly made. Other than you seeming to believe that all this is way more complex than it really is.

I've got really nothing else to say. Do whatever you want. But I'm certainly not going to waste my time producing numbers you've already got. Especially when the burden of proof is on you.

Min
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: