Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 944 with a V8
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John H  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this site - the guys have cut the front of a 924/44 and stuffed a 928 V8 into it

http://www.kellymoss.com/indexmain.htm
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and it's a 928 V8 as well...that's not such a bad idea. You get metric fittings, a Porsche mechanic or anyone who knows Porsche can work on it, parts swapability, and V8 power. Not bad. The only downside is the price. Probably costs around $15K USD just for the engine swap, to say nothing of the additional suspension and brake upgrades required.
numbers  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That is one bitch'n set of headers.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeup, not a cheap swap, and it would kill the weight balance as well. It'd be a rocket though
abduln  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I am new here, at least new to posting that is.

Thanks for the post John, the KM project was brilliant. I am actually working on such a project, but it's a 2v 928 motor into a 924. My project will be pretty radical but not nearly as elegant as the KM car. I thought I was going to be the first to do it, but thats okay at least I'll be the first to do it in a 924 (I think).

I currently have the car and the engine. There are actually a few problems with the 928 engine choice. The first is the heft of the engine assembly, about 610 lbs. I am actually going to work over the engine I have to see where I can reduce weight; hopefully about a 100 pound reduction. Fortunately I'll be able to lighten the front end of the car a bit to makeup for the increaced engine weight. Second, performance enhancements for this motor costs quite a bit. I am not too worried about the later, by the time I am done, it'll run with the best of the and the project will still cost me less then a used Corvette 5

Thanks again.

Regards,
Abdul
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome aboard Abdul.

Remember that the most important think about any 924 engine conversion is to take lots of pictures and post them on the board so we can all see. There is a topic about posting pics in the "About the Board" forum.

I'm sure everyone here would love to see photographic evidence of a nice clean 924 V8 conversion. I think to date there've been more yeti sightings than 924 V8 sightings.
I_Compute  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings All!
I also am new to this game and also Porsche's. A month ago I saw and fell in love with a 77 924 and purchased it as a restoration with the intent of putting a GM V8 in it. I have been doing alot of research into this conversion and am quite sure you can shoehorn a 5.7 into the 924 but have heard the suggestion to use the LT1 engine as it has a lower profile and would not require a modification to the hood in order to fit the TPI unit. I am still investigating the size of the engine I will eventually put in my 924 but I am quite sure I will be doing the conversion.
numbers  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do the swap Bruce, we want lots of pictures, and a blow by blow discreption of the project, as no one on this board has any lessons learned from such a swap.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, have you considered the Ford 5.0L? For most small sports car applications the 302 is a better motor. It makes about as much power as a 350, but is much more compact.

Also, parts are pretty cheap for 5.0's, and you can tune them in all sorts of ways.

dwak  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to spend the bucks for that special V8 sound, I still say the Rover/Buick V8 is the best canditate. Lighter than the original 4 banger and available in the States from The Rover Cannibal.
dwak
I_Compute  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have located a kit for the engine swap. A gentleman is willing to sell me an old kit that is complete with headers. I believe I am going to attempt a 5.7 with MAF TPI. I will keep everyone abreast of the progress and as I am a computer guru, I will be also posting some great pics along with a detailed problem/success description to boot!
abduln  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Peter. I plan on getting going on the project this summer. Right now I am still working out some transmission issues, and also waiting for the weather to get good and reliable.

I will definitely document the project in text and with plenty of stills for the members to see.

Regards,
Abdul
Cbass  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rover is a good example. It is light, compact, and has okay power. The 5.0 with aluminum heads weighs about 50-100lbs more, true.

The 5.0L makes a lot more power, and is a better street motor, thanks to fuel injection and other goodies.
Jrod-13  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i was to do a v-8 swap it would definaly be the ford 5.0 H.O.(302). 225 hp at 5000 rpm, and 300ft/lbs of torque, around 3000.
Also they were found in 87-95 mustangs, and lincoln mark VIIs. Some of the real strong parts of this motor is you can find them for around 500$ all complete,in good running shape(in fact I paid $200 for my 89' mark VII with 160,xxx, and a smashed grill). parts are very cheap too, and they are easy to make power, 400 hp with a supercharger($2000). The intake is also a very low design, so you could probably still shut the hood. Another huge advantage is the durability of the 302, iv seen them still running strong at 250,xxx. Try that with a 350, or a 4cyl. In fact mine now has almost 200,xxx on it, 20,000 of which i abused it for, and the new owner beats it far worse than i did!! holding it at 6grand through town, 360's in intersections.. you name it!! the thing just won't die!!

While the biggest draw-back would be weight, the factory aluminum intakes are fairly light, and aluminum heads are even lighter yet. Also from fords svo catalog, you can buy a new ALUMINUM BLOCK 302, or 347 stroker, all complete 400+ hp, for around 5g's.... just a little food for thought..

[ This Message was edited by: Jrod-13 on 2002-04-16 11:06 ]
abduln  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ford 302 is a nice engine, I have worked on plenty of them and they are a great buy.

However, I would have to suggest the modern LT1, they are are actually just as reliable, if not more, than the 302. Chevy V8's can go for hundreds of thousands of miles too, that is what they are known for (our old Chevy station wagon had 360k on it before it bit the dust because my brother took apart the engine to see how it worked).

The LT1 was designed to reduce oil leaks, has a much lower profile than the 302, and has a stiffer block than the Ford (the Windsor has a very flexy block).

Old Chevy's have even cheaper parts than the Ford, however the LT1 has a bit more cost associated with it, but not overly expensive. Yes the 5.0 has 225hp for $500, but for about $600 more you can get an additional 70 horse and about 50 lbs more torque, and an engine that probably has less milage on it. You can also modify the LT1 just like the 5.0. They also get similar gas milage.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with going with the 5.0 it is definitely one of the best engines ever implemented in a car. I am actually saddened that Ford didn't do what GM did and evolve the engine rather than replacing it

Regards,
Abdul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: