Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Weltmeister Chips

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mich924S  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone using these or any other chips in the 924S? I'm thinking of adding one(I already use premium gas in this car..good or bad but it won't change my gas buying habits). What kind of power upgrade am I looking at with the Welt Chip, KN air filter, and throttle cam?

jcope  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth...

I had to replace my ECU. The mechanic got a salvaged one, and I noticed the little tabs around the edges were sort of scarred, which made me think there's a chip in there.

Based on the way the car drives, I am pretty certain. It's smoother and quicker, although it is still pretty useless off the line. I'd swear I can accelerate from 60 to 70 or 80 as fast as almost any other car on the road. I've been very pleased with it. It's a total blast to drive on the highway. I also have the K&N parts.
Mich924S  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of off the line starts, isn't 1st gear pretty worthless in the 924S. It's such a short 1st gear I have no idea how this car can do 0-60 in 7.5 sec when you're shift at 10mph. Is 2nd even good for 60? I've never pushed it that hard yet but the exhaust note on this thing is sweet music. My friend has a 97 M3 and he said it sounds similar to that car at full throttle. Oh, and I agree totally with you about 50+mph. In third geat at that speed, yes I think we can accelerate with any car on the road. Wonderful 3rd and 4th gears!

[ This Message was edited by: Mich924S on 2002-03-19 02:54 ]
jcope  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe 1st gear is too small, but also the shift from 1st to 2nd takes forever unless you force it. I don't even try to race that much anymore. It just feels like it isn't good for the car.

I guess it's worth remembering that these are touring cars. They were built to cruise and to behave well at high speeds, not really to get to high speeds quickly. That's how I console myself when I get beat by an SUV or something else I think I should be able to beat. I just think "let's go out on the open road and see what happens."

Back to the topic, though, I would just recommend getting a performance chip by a well-known manufacturer, so you can trust it won't do any damage. I believe there is risk of damage from a poorly thought out chip. Also I would recommend getting a book about the Motronic fuel injection systems so you understand what the chip is doing (if you don't already). And be careful with the little metal tabs around the edges of the ECU. The ECU was NOT built to be taken apart. Now you know everything I know.

Also, I don't think the K&N filter does much for performance. It doesn't hurt. The motor seems to run more smoothly, but the perceived performance gains are probably more of a placebo effect than anything else. I know nothing about the throttle cam. I don't even know what kind is on my car. I'm pretty sure it isn't stock, whatever it is.

[ This Message was edited by: jcope on 2002-03-19 03:56 ]
kcaK85  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about the weltmeister, i've been researching this one, and been seeing some discouraging things. Has anyone installed one of these, and if so, what are the steps you have to go through. Also, is it worth the extra trouble, or should I just get an autothority.
Thanks-kcaK85

87-924S

[ This Message was edited by: kcaK85 on 2002-07-22 11:06 ]
Mich924S  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put an Autothority in mine and it's been perfect. Love it and would heartily recommend it. Not a single problem and performance in increased by SOTP dyno. I can vouch for the Autothority, at least in my case.
Zarnookie  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 88 924S will do 60 in 2nd gear, but the AC has to be off and not more then about 250lbs in the car. which is me and my best friend(she's light) then 3rd will go up to about 90 but that's as bout as far as I want to go where I live. lol
MAS  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I haven't been beaten by any SUVs (yet). I dunno, but I have a stock 87 924S and I'd hardly call it a slouch. It's quick off the line if you really push it. But I don't agree with the idea that you can "keep up with almost any cars on the highway" in higher gears. You can easily outaccelrate most cars on the highway. I find the 3rd gear "push" especially, to be much more that the average car. I dunno why people think these cars are so slow. They are still faster than many other cars on the road today.

The thing is that you really have to push them to get into the low 7s... something I don't really want to do with an older car with expensive parts, like clutches.

-MAS

[ This Message was edited by: MAS on 2002-08-05 05:05 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: