Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Preliminary Investigation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is this investigation worth it?
Yes, I'd be interested in the results and if its viable, consider it myself.
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Yes, I'd be interested in the results since you're doing the work.
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Yes, I'd be interested in the results but would never consider it.
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Yes, but find another donor vehicle, don't ruin your Porsche
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
No, its just a waste of time, you'll never get around to it.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, why spent $6k+ on a conversion when the car is never going to be worth half that much.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

skemcin  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Preliminary Investigation Reply with quote

I recently posted this:
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=22328

which began a pretty interesting conversation. So I am going to do a little research and try to document it here. I am going to research the in the overall difference in weight between all the parts needed to run an internal combustion engine(from a 79 924 na) versus an electric engine.

Below is a list of ICE parts that would be removed from the 924 when preparing the car for an electric motor install. I just need your help with two things:

Request:
  • weigh any spare parts you have laying around that are related to an ICE
  • correct/contribute to my parts list - let me know if I am missing something

The following list is a work in progress. I, by no means will be able to define this without your help - please feel free to reply with additions or correction and I'll edit this post accordingly.

Items to Remove:
  • 308 lbs / 140 kgs - Engine - block, head, throttle body/carbs, plugs & wires, starter, alternator
  • 60 lbs / 27 kgs - Exhaust - header, downpipe, catylitic converter and back, muffler, tail pipe
  • xxx lbs / xxx kgs - Fuel - Gas tank(empty), fuel lines, fuel pump
  • 20 lbs / 9 kgs - Cooling - radiator, hoses, air compressor
  • 45 lbs / 20.5 kgs - Interior - front and rear seats, carpeting

Notes:
  • The radiator may say as some electric systems are water cooled
  • The air compressor motor - if I choose to restore the A/C in the car, then the current compressor will be replaced with an electric motor
  • In the interest of maintaining near 50/50 weight distribution, I might look at the possibility of mounting the main motor and control system in the rear above/in front of the rear axle or rear seat and then stack two rows of batteries in the rear of the engine compartment or visa versa depending on the amount of room needed for each.
  • I added the interior section so the racing folks can add their two cents on how to reduce weight. I know I have the front seats - I'd like that calculation so that when I do the new EV version I will add in the race seats that I have currently.

Estimated Total Savings = 433 lbs / 196.5 kg
(thus far)
9249206347 - 8k – waiting its resurrection, no power at the fuel pump and fuse #7 blows w/power

Last edited by skemcin on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:50 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Martijnus  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i've got a spare engine in the garage... which I can weigh...

Haynes says it's 140kg...but I don't know how complete their weighing is....including manifolds and stuff...

radiator is out too... and so is the kjet...
Oil could be approximated... 3liter equals 3 kg or something like that..
If you guess/take everything a bit lower than it appears the outcome of the saving is always in a positive way...

Don't think my bathroom scale can hanlde the engine...but hey...I'll try if I get the chance (which isn't soon ...damn exams..)...

924 "50-jahre", 1981.
MSII/extra, LPG, ITB's, 5lug.
To be turbo'ed in a while.
Killed her at the Nurburgring, Porscheless at the moment
skemcin  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will be a big help. Thanks.
9249206347 - 8k – waiting its resurrection, no power at the fuel pump and fuse #7 blows w/power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your poll is missing an option. . .Too Slow, Too Heavy
skemcin  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Your poll is missing an option. . .Too Slow, Too Heavy
But that is yet to be determined. The 924 is a fairly light vehicle and I've seen some calculations that might prove otherwise. Although I'd be happy to add a new "No" response to entertain the perception (which could be proven to be right - I just don't know) I can't at this point. I would categorize your position as "Yes, I'd be interested in the results but would never consider it."

The biggest weight comes in batteries - avg 40 lbs. So, depending on how much energy one battery produces versus how much is needed to move xx pounds of steel will depend on how many batteries are need for my target range of 150 miles.

Another way to look at it is:
Say you have a system that has 12 batteries and the entire system weighs 1,200 lbs. Put that 500lbs system in a 3,000 lbs vehicle and your range might be 50 miles. But put that in a 2,000 lbs vehicle and your range could double to 100 miles. That, in part, is what I want to find out.

The other aspect of this investigation is what will be the performance hit - whihc is your other valid point. If the curb weight goes from 2,300 lbs (ice) to 3,000 lbs (ev) then I'd be looking to see if the electric motor and the suspension are accommodating that change proportionately (at the very least).
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest in the interest of weight saving that you convert all major panels (quarters/hood/spoilers) to fiberglass and make a perspex rear hatch.
If you look at the various models that have done this it is easy to get the car down 100/200kg, Most of these cars still have a turbo/sc various EFI parts/intercooler fuel pump etc so you can keep reducing weight from there on... just going off racecars that have managed to get down to 900kg

I guess bellhousing,clutch,torque tube and gearbox go too... so this would be another decent reduction
so minus engine and above your looking at 150/200

It might be possible to start with a rolling chassis of 700kg...
then start adding you E.V parts minus 1 X battery allready installed
Leadfoot
skemcin  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadfoot wrote:
I would suggest in the interest of weight saving that you convert all major panels (quarters/hood/spoilers) to fiberglass and make a perspex rear hatch.
If you look at the various models that have done this it is easy to get the car down 100/200kg, Most of these cars still have a turbo/sc various EFI parts/intercooler fuel pump etc so you can keep reducing weight from there on... just going off racecars that have managed to get down to 900kg

I guess bellhousing,clutch,torque tube and gearbox go too... so this would be another decent reduction
so minus engine and above your looking at 150/200

It might be possible to start with a rolling chassis of 700kg...
then start adding you E.V parts minus 1 X battery allready installed
Leadfoot

Thanks for all the insight - it is extremely helpful. From what I've read if you can start off with a 1,500 lbs vehicle you are likely to get the best results. I was just hoping to see if the 924 would get down to 2,000 lbs - but shedding another 500 lbs would be icing on the cake. So far, it seems that a good electric powerplant would weigh in from 600 lbs to 1,000 lbs depending (mostly) on your battery and motor choice.

I gotta find the site that had some real nice calculation - I'll post it if I locate it.

Thanks again.
endwrench  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you have seen this post but I have been keeping a running tab on weight savings of various things I have done.

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=18254&start=0

You'll have to page thru the post for the actual weights of various items such as the exaust system. I'll be pulling my radiator soon and I will weight it too.

Even if you don't actually do this I would like to see a rundown on the parts list and what you think it may cost to do it. I think it would be a viable option if you lived in town.

Todd
Petrovich  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to wait with the batteries for a year or so. Firefly is getting its carbon-graphite lead-acid ready for production - nothing seriously ground-breaking, but should easily halve your battery pack weight, at the same price. Or if you have a big wad of cash, you can go with li-ions now - pack them into aluminum pipes and then stuff those where the transmission tunnel is. Will need a good charging circuit, though.

As for motors, I'm still waiting for R/C motor manufacturers to "get it". They're already making 2-kg, 15kw motors. I say they're cluelessly sitting on a gold mine. If you move this up a magnitude, you get a 20kg, 200hp motor. Couple it with a 50-mile small battery pack and you have a conversion that's actually desireable.
Keaton  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

put a medium battery pack and one of these, then you can charge at your house, using you house. and when your batts get low you can charge while driving

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-5500-WATT-10HP-DIESEL-5-5kW-PORTABLE-GENERATOR_W0QQitemZ320125648115QQihZ011QQcategoryZ106437QQcmdZViewItem

and you can use old veggie oil to power it
skemcin  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

endwrench wrote:
Not sure if you have seen this post but I have been keeping a running tab on weight savings of various things I have done.

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=18254&start=0

You'll have to page thru the post for the actual weights of various items such as the exaust system. I'll be pulling my radiator soon and I will weight it too.

Even if you don't actually do this I would like to see a rundown on the parts list and what you think it may cost to do it. I think it would be a viable option if you lived in town.

Todd
Thanks, this is a great reference and I pulled some of your numbers from there to update my figures. Thanks a bunch. It looks lie I could get the car down to right around 2,000 lbs which is a great starting point. The other suggestions about fiberglass panels and replacing the glass are other options should I really want to lighten the vehicle - but these conservative numbers are probably best to go off of.

I still need to the gas tank and fuel line numbers - I'll have ot check my Haynes manual tonight.
skemcin  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: ** update ** Reply with quote

I'm still tracking down some information but I wanted to share some numbers that I think are correct - I need to track down a couple sources that I used to double check my findings since they seemed to be quite impressive.

First before I share the number I want to state on the advantages of an electric motor and why they can be so attractive. The traditional internal combustion engine (ICE) measures performance in horsepower, but the number we alway here about is the maximum horsepower achieved at a certain RPM. At any other stage, the ICE does not produce as much HP and is not as efficient. The electric motor - by contrast - has all its equivalent horsepower (measured as killowatts - kw) at 0 RPM - or instantly. This makes it more efficient in that it delivers power instantly. One additional finding to note is that the average car, once up to speed, may only need no more than 10 hp to sustain momentum - depending on terrain and wind of course - often time much less.

Having said that, here is what I've found specific to our lovely 924:

FYI: 1hp is roughly 0.744 kw and various sources calculate electric motor kw requirements to be about 1/4 of the ICE equivalent rating

ICE Stock 924:
125 hp (93kw)
2,448 curb weight
19.58 power to weight ratio

Budget 924ev:
30 kw motor (~209 hp)
3,100 lbs curb weight (traditional lead batteries)
14.83 power to weight ratio

High-Roller 924ev:
40 kw motor (~279 hp)
2,700 lbs curb weight (carbon free lithium ion batteries)
9.67 power to weight ratio

So what does this mean for the 924ev? Well, off the line the car is still slow - in fact arguable much slower - but that can be controlled. But once the vehicle is up to speed, the throttle is two to three times more responsive than an ICE version. That means quicker out of turns, quicker on and off ramp acceleration, etc - we are already used to losing drag races). From some of the figures I've been able to collect, it would seem possible to even get the power to weight ration into the low 8's with fiberglass panels and other track like weight saving techniques referenced in previous posts. The reduced rate only gets the car closer to the ICE off-line performance and widens the gap in all the other areas - including range.

For the last point, I'm not 100% sure on my calculations on range and I'm seeking some help on this from an EV discussion board - but I think Budget 924ev would get 50 to 75 miles where the High-Roller 924ev would hover around 100 miles. But range has yet to be accurately scrutinized.

Any thoughts?
rat  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If going down the route of making the 924 electric, it makes sense to bin the gearbox completly, have each wheel driven by its own motor which can also be made to act as brake.

Not too sure how useful this is, especially since there is no indication on prices, however...

http://www.pmlflightlink.com/motors/hipa_drive.html

Is a comercial unit to do just that. Far greater power ratings than listed previously too.
skemcin  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rat wrote:
If going down the route of making the 924 electric, it makes sense to bin the gearbox completly, have each wheel driven by its own motor which can also be made to act as brake.

Not too sure how useful this is, especially since there is no indication on prices, however...

http://www.pmlflightlink.com/motors/hipa_drive.html

Is a commercial unit to do just that. Far greater power ratings than listed previously too.

Interesting. I know the Mitsubishi Miev uses a in-wheel motor and had thought of that as well. I imagine that you will need to a computerized drive system to control the power distribution to each wheel.

It will be interesting to see how you work that out and how much more modification that will require. Please keep me informed.

edit: Reading more, this is pretty interesting, they even removed the regular brakes an rely completely on the motor:
http://www.pmlflightlink.com/archive/news_mini.html
Rich H  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, keep up the good work!

But why a 924? Why not start with a much lighter chassis in the first place? Either start with a car that is much lighter and adapt that (Lotus Elise for example an earlyu version has a kerb weight of 750-800kgs 1700lbs in full trim) or why not look at a kit car or similar that can be built with elecric power in mind form the start. Something like a Caterham/Westfield/Locost (600kgs/1400lbs in full lightweight trim)
1953 Landrover S1 - Pensioner Spec
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: