Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Mixing Coolants

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mich924S  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my coolant flushed and replaced when I got the car and it's "green". I do not know what type they put in. It's at the 'minimum' line when hot and I would like to add a bit more(or maybe I shouldn't?). I have the Chevron GM-Dexcool approved stuff(the one in the black jug). I think it's orange. If I add this, will it cause sedimentation or clogging when mixed with the green coolant? Or should I just add some Water Wetter? Lots of questions but hey, we have to liven up the 924S forum! BTW, in stop and go traffic, the temp gauge get between 1/2 and 3/4 then the fan turns on and it cools down and when driving it's usually between 1/4 and 1/2. Normal? Thanks.
jcope  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer about the coolant.

My car ('87 924S) acts the same with the temperature gauge. I saw an earlier post from someone who explained that the temp gauges measure a narrower range of temperatures than normal. So when it says hot, it's not so hot. And it moves around more. I still freak out a little bit when it goes clear up to, or past, 3/4 and the fan comes on. My truck keeps a very even temperature and never varies more than 1/8, if that. That's more what I expect.

Haven't had any problems though. (knock, knock).
RobE  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT MIX THE TWO COOLANTS!!!!! The two coolants will react with each other and the aluminum in the radiator and bad things will happen. The coolant will become acidic! Rob
Mich924S  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I top off the coolant?
dwak  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with getting more of the coolant that's in there now or ,after checking the coolant freeze level, top up with distilled water?
PS You can always go back to the service guys and ask them what they used and if they're uncooperative, drain,flush and start over again.

[ This Message was edited by: dwak on 2002-03-15 23:04 ]
GP510  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most shops will top up fluids for free if they performed the work originally. FWIW.

[ This Message was edited by: GP510 on 2002-03-16 04:34 ]
carnut280  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, I noticed that My 87 924 S has the same temp gauge issues. goes up to 3/4, scares the hell outa me, then the fans turn on, and the temp cools off. it's never overheated though. I'm runnin the coolant it came with (which like everything else that came on the car, is factory original) and a bottle of water wetter. I just changed the timing belts, so I think I'll have my tech change the coolant while it's on the lifts to get them adjusted in 2000 miles. gotta love the 924S!!!
afenn  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a colder fan switch available to turn the cooling fans on earlier but it's difficult to find. There also exists additives that are safe for aluminum engines that help increase the thermal properties of the coolant. Race cars often use the additive.

[ This Message was edited by: afenn on 2002-04-22 13:43 ]
Benski  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note: Most cars have a 'smart' temperature gauge that keeps the needle at the same point for a range of normal operating temperatures. I know for a fact my Honda had one as one time in very hot weather the needle would sporatically jump from the normal reading to just below red and back again very quickly. Must have been at the edge of the range.

The behaviour of our P-cars is normal. Just that most companies use 'smart' temp gauges because when the needle inches up in traffic it freaks people out!
D Hook  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That colder switch that afenn referred to is available from PerformanceProducts.com. I put one in my '80 and really makes a difference in traffic. Easy fix, too.
Mich924S  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean a new thermostat?
afenn  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, if you look on your radiator just below the return line you will find a brass sensor with two wires on it. This is your coolant sensor. This sensor activates your fans and from my understanding there exists a sensor that activates your fans at a lower temperature. See the link below, this link will answer many of your questions to come.

All a cooler thermostat will do is to reduce your driving temperature and when your in traffic you'll still experience the same heating patterns.

http://www.connact.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faq.html
Mich924S  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this pretty easy to change yourself?
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fairly easy, the only pain is having the right wrench. I have them. The part numbers are on the 924.org Parts page. Contact the guys at All European in Royal Oak or Jason @ Paragon to order it.

I'll be at Waterford with all my tools next weekend, May 5th-6th, for Race 1 - stop by!

'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: