Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Vaughan, some q's on the 931...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricomartinez  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw an old post about speakers in door panels. You put 6.5in in there. Did you just cut up the old panels? Are they mounted to the inner door sheet metal? Did you have to cut metal?

Also, my Weissach has the same Platinum paint. Noticed your website said something about color sanding. Did this work well? Anything to be careful about? Mine also has peeling clearcoat on the roof. Any tips on what to do with that to repair vice completely repaint? Thanks.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just cut up the door panels. They are mounted to the door cards/panels, not the sheetmetal. One key point, make sure you use a foam surround for the back to protect the speaker from the weather, since you can't guarantee it'll stay dry in there - especially with old seals. Fit isn't perfect, like show quality, but it's worth it for the sound. I could probably do a little better with more effort. As it is, they don't look bad, except for the one speaker grille I already lost (fell off in a dark parking lot). No cutting was req'd with the right placement.

I wetsanded my car, and it improved the quality of the shine, no question about that. It's now to the point I can live with. However, the car will definitely need a repaint eventually. It's not cosmetically perfect, but there are bigger issues to deal with. Wetsanding will not fix a cracked clearcoat problem, in my experience. Sounds like you'd want to think about a repaint. I'd tackle a repaint myself on anything but a metallic. I'll paint my racecar myself, but I'll let a body shop reshoot my turbo when I get to it.

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a cracked clear coat it depends on how extensive it is, most of the times you can buff it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: