Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

fitting late 944 dashboard to 924
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruce76-924  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: fitting late 944 dashboard to 924 Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

In a recent post I mentioned that I had fitted a late 944 (1986 onwards) dashboard to my 1976 924. Allan asked for more details, so if anyone else fancies it here goes.......

The basic dashoard will bolt in without any problems, however if you want to fit the late heater controls then the 944 heater box has to be fitted as well. This requires a bit of cutting and fabricating as the heater boxes are different in shape and size. You can fit it up with the early heater box but using early heater controls ruins the overall fit and finish, I've done the conversion both ways, but only used the early heater box for track orientated cars. The photos show the work on a 1978 RHD 924 that I did a few years ago ( these have been scanned so they are not brilliant!) When I get the interior done on my LHD 1976 924 I'll do some more detailed pictures.

If anyone wants more info, i.e. speedo, electrics etc I'll happily write some more detailed notes.

Cheers, Bruce.
Allan  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow great job, someone told me that it canīt be done but... thanks
You obviously had to change the door upholstery to late 944s also do they fit ok?
bruce76-924  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan wrote:
Wow great job, someone told me that it canīt be done but... thanks
You obviously had to change the door upholstery to late 944s also do they fit ok?

There is no such word as can't!! Yes the door cards need changing and you need to cut a bit of the inner door metal away to allow for the larger door pockets. Personally I think it's worth all the effort as the late dash is much nicer and finding a good condition early dash is getting hard these days.

Cheers, Bruce.
924guy  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crap...now i need to find a 85.5 or later 944 donor car.....another job to do..

couple of Questions?:

any water leaking issues with the new cut in the panel?

were you able to get all the late model gauges , warning lights, and misc. thingies to all work correctly, like window switches, A/C, etc.

looking at this, im thinking parts, at minimum, its a late dash, center console, door panels, heater box and assembly. did the steering column also need replacing, shifter rod? what else?

big job, obviously not impossible, but not for the novice either. Id love a more modern dash, but im almost thinking it might be easier to mold a new one from scratch than do the conversion... thanks for posting this, and congrats on a great job.
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
bruce76-924  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

924guy wrote:
crap...now i need to find a 85.5 or later 944 donor car.....another job to do..

couple of Questions?:

any water leaking issues with the new cut in the panel?

were you able to get all the late model gauges , warning lights, and misc. thingies to all work correctly, like window switches, A/C, etc.

looking at this, im thinking parts, at minimum, its a late dash, center console, door panels, heater box and assembly. did the steering column also need replacing, shifter rod? what else?

big job, obviously not impossible, but not for the novice either. Id love a more modern dash, but im almost thinking it might be easier to mold a new one from scratch than do the conversion... thanks for posting this, and congrats on a great job.

Ok here goes........waterleaks? no, I live in the UK and it always rains, so cars have to be watertight!!!

Yes everything works as it does in the 944, including the mirrors, climate control and guages. Most of the wiring is pretty straightforward, but you have to sort out a speedo driver from another car as the 944 takes it from the gearbox.

Parts......dashboard, clocks, center console, door trims, switches and pigtails and heaterbox (if required). The shift rod is the same and you can use the old steering column but you have to fit the new ignition lock assembly to it. I have done it and retained the early heater box but relocated the controls to the new center console, this works fine and requires much much much less work but I fancied the challange of getting the 944 heaterbox in!!! You probably find that cost wise the late stuff is just as cheap as trying to source a good, uncracked early dashboard.

On my current car I've made it real simple, no heaters - just a cold air blower, no factory switches - all the wiring is run through a custom panel, no electric mirrors and no electric windows. Doing it this way means it could all be done over a long weekend with no welding at all - but the car is more track based.

Cheers, Bruce.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

924.org FAQ wrote:
Can I fit the 85.5-onward (oval-style) 944 dash in my 924?

No. The internal structure of the body, as well as the HVAC system, is incompatible with the later style dash. Either look into buying a dash cover from one of the mail-order parts suppliers, or have the dash recovered.

Chrenan  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, you can't keep posting about your crazy projects and then back them up with photographic evidence. Thats not the way it works around here. Your supposed to post a crazy scheme, and when people don't believe it and offer to buy a product from you, you belittle them and start a big online fight and then get banned.

Seriously, this is awsome though, great pictures and projects, keep them coming, lots of good motivation here for minor tinkerers like myself.
scottc  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce I think I might have to take a trip down to Bradford when my 24 is running!

if I bring you a dash and a case of beer, would you do me a small favour

Excellant job man, that does look good.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottc wrote:
Bruce I think I might have to take a trip down to Bradford when my 24 is running!

if I bring you a dash and a case of beer, would you do me a small favour

Excellant job man, that does look good.

I'm sure he'd love to store your dash in exchange for some beer. Er, or is that not what you had in mind?
bruce76-924  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaggy - Why didn't you show me that FAQ earlier? If I'd have know that I wouldn't have bothered going to all that trouble to get it fitted and working and I could still have my old cracked dash instead! Ah well you live and learn.

Chrenan, sorry didn't realise that was the way it was done around here ( guess it's lucky that you didn't pick up on the other obvious modification in the pics then!)

Scott, whenever you're down this way, bring the beer and as "fiat22turbo" says, I'll look after your dash!

Cheers, Bruce.
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruce76-924 wrote:
Chrenan, sorry didn't realise that was the way it was done around here ( guess it's lucky that you didn't pick up on the other obvious modification in the pics then!)

Is that a 944 engine in that 924?
scottc  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruce76-924 wrote:
( guess it's lucky that you didn't pick up on the other obvious modification in the pics then!)

Theres more!?!!?
NEMESIS  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrenan wrote:

Bingo boingo, we have ourselves a weiner!
bruce76-924  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrenan wrote:
bruce76-924 wrote:

Well spotted! But that's a thread for another day.

Cheers, Bruce.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruce76-924 wrote:
Chrenan wrote:
bruce76-924 wrote:

Well spotted! But that's a thread for another day.

Cheers, Bruce.

I noticed, but figured you were playing with a 924S and to be honest the 944 engine doesn't interest me much right now as I don't have a car that has one in it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: