Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

80 or 81?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924martinirossi  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have two 931 I'm considering selling one of them. This is where I need help.

80 931 Silver with black leather interior is excellent shape. All electrics work and it even has the rear wiper. Car is 4 bolt front disc and rear drums. I put on a 79 rear end this year because I wanted the sway bar. Alpine cd is installed and all speakers are in stock location. No hacked door pannels. The windshield is cracked and it need two new fenders (which I already have in silver) and new tires (which I already have) I done the head gasket this year along with belts/ alternator and the usual assortment of things-to-replace. This car startes in about 2 seconds.

81 931 Way different beast. Have done a fair ammount of work and it runs. Although still hard to start. Car is brown with brown/tan interior. Electric windows do not work, horn inop, delay on wiper inop. needs sunroof seal. Usual tears on vinyl seats. Has 5 bolt 4 wheel disc brakes. New shocks were put on by PO. No rust and just very minor scratches. This one starts in about 20 seconds.

What are car going for in this condition, and which one should I keep?

Martini Rossi SOLD
Red 79 SOLD
Purple 78 SOLD
Black 79 Scrapped
White 79 Scrapped

John Mueller  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting ready to buy a '81 931. And here is why I would keep the '81 over the '80. Smaller more reliable turbo, with 7 more HP on the european model. 42 mpg at 56 mph, compared to 36 on the '80. The tranny has been improved, plus it has a shift linkage like the normal 924. I believe the 79-80 used the 928 setup. For the first time the 944 suspension arms were used in the front. There are some more things that make the '81 a better car, I will have to quote them from a book I bought over the weekend. I will post more later. I believe both models here had 150 hp for emissions reasons. And the turbo is more reliable but it will suffer heavily from short trips, the KKK's that were used were out of trucks and could not handle short trips but loved long trips. Finally the 931 died because the perfomance was greater than that of the 944... I think anyway, they say that they killed the 931 to make room for the 944.
Chaz  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have an '81 and had an '80. My '81 does not have the alum A-arms in the front like the 944 but most everything else was correct. The '81 also has digital ignition which, as far as I can tell, is way better than the mechanical advance system in the '79 and '80. Also, the cast air tube in the '81 has a nicer seal and single butterfly throttle body like the 944.
John Brown  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have described a very nice 1980 street car and a very good candidate for a 1981 track car. I'm a track car guy so I like the 81.

A lot of people would give you cash for the 80 trans. It is very desirable for track junkies. The fellas running the old DP cars stack em up for spares. I would not be at all concerned about the supposed greater strength of the Audi style trans until you get into GT or above power levels. Many of the DP cars still running around are reputed to be putting out in excess of 200 and they use the early trans.

Suspension parts can mix and match between a lot of the 924/944 and I would not get excited about which pieces are on. In fact, the Weltmeister kit for a front bar is cheaper for the 924 than the later. Also, I have seen some VERY late production 924/931 with a lot of 944 lookin brackets and suspension pieces but never an 81. Not that someone could not have added them. And the steel arms have some advantages over the aluminum. A couple of race venues require the aluminum arms be replaced by steel.

Assuming the 81 runs well otherwise the 20 sec start almost has to be just the cold/warm start system and is fixable should you wish to take the time.

The 80 can probably get 5lug/disc brake converted for less than it would run to get those b#@$%* power windows fixed on the 81. Though I have always maintained that for street use the conversion is unnecessary. But nice, lordy, I hated working on those rear drums!

We should all have your problems!! Which turbo should I keep!!
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another note...the 944 didn't use the aluminum front a-arms until '85.5. The '83-early '85 have steel a-arms just like the 924 except that there are swaybar mounts that are different.
numbers  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John Brown, good to see you posting again. I have missed your most knowledgeable answers to the hard questions that come up on this forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: