Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

rotory engine in a 924?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cakemakerman  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone thought about putting a high performance rotory engine in a 924. I want to do this. If anyone has experience in this please talk to me. I want to put a natural gas rotory engine in my 924 and convert it to burn H2.
dwak  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought h2 engines were still a pipe dream and I believe there are a lot more rotary-less Mazdas out there than Mazda less rotary engines.
teo  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a Mazda-less rotary engine:

and it will fit anywhere
cakemakerman  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actualy all major car manufacturers are working on hydrogen engines and building prototype cars, mazda, ford, bmw, etc. however so far i have not found any h2 engines for sale
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW has a 7 series that runs on hydrogen. I saw it my R&T issue this month. It's a stock engine, they just converted the fuel system to hydrogen and used the injectors to control the spray.

As for a rotary, I know an awful lot about this subject . What you'll want is a Mazda 13B, the second most common rotary in the world. The most common is the 12A. Avoid this motor like the plague, as it is heavy, unreliable, guzzles gas, and has next to no power potential.

Get a turbo 13B and you'll be fine. Or a 20B, depending on where you are. We never got the 20B in North America, but the Japanese and Australians did, I'm not sure about the Europeans. The 20B is a triple rotor variant of the 13B, which has two rotors. Any 13B from 83 and up is good, with the preference being the 86-92 single turbo RX-7 motors, as they have the cheapest power potential.

Phew, another ridiculously long rant.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, these are very compact engines, with a traditional flywheel clutch system. It'll definately fit, and I'd be happy to give you any advice you need.
wdb  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better get a BIG fuel tank , idustrial bottle gas suppliers are not that abundant,might be a long drive between fillups . oh and I think its expensive, and the feds dont like it when individuals buy bottled hydrogen , makes them nervous. and you need to take hazmat classes to get the permit to transport it. and the gaskets are notorious for leeking , seems its hard to find a material that is soft at 400 below zero F SEE NEXT POST

[ This Message was edited by: wdb on 2002-03-09 13:25 ]
wdb  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a rotary in a 924? Been done before. It's called an RX7
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heheh. It's funny cause it's almost true.
God damned f***'n mazda. Sorry. Umm, hydrogen isn't that hard to do. I'd just stick with gas for now, and let the R&D people build good conversion kits.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want maximum boost for a 931 engine, convert it to propane and then turbocharge it.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaahhh!! Propane? Guess it has better compression qualitahs. Sorry, can't communicate the accent.
JvGinPDX  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel cell companies are working on hydrogen projects. Ford and Chrysler are into it, along with Mercedes. It may be possible to buy hydrogen in a few years at your uh, gas station. BMW does indeed have a hyrogen powered internal combusion engine going on sale in Germany soon. Your idea sounds far fetched. I will go still farther. In ten years it will be possible to go to a wrecking yard to convert our elderly 924 cars to hydrogen fuel cell power, and have electric drive.
cakemakerman  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So these bmw engines, is there a way I could order one. From my understanding they can either burn H2 or gasoline with the flipp of a switch. So you think its improbable to but one of these hummers in my porsche? Why can't I be one of the first persons to drive a H2 powerd porsche?
JvGinPDX  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that hydrogen is not available for automotive use to the general public. At least, not yet. In Germany, it will be in the near future. Try the websites for Ford and Daimler-Benz. Type in fuel cells. Also try Ballard Power. Also Hydrogen Investor. It is a real eye opener. In ten years, you will be able to do what you want. Or you could just go to the Ford or Chrysler dealer to buy a new hydrogen powered car. Most manufacturers are working on this issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: