Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Rover V8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renegade does not do conversions on 924's to V8's. The reason? They say for all the ancilliary parts, IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

Phone them. Ask them yourselves.

866 498-2421

Rick
dwak  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,
An....who?
OK, ok you guys win. I'm going to rebuild my 2 931's like Jon Furst and Ricko with the intercoolers et al. My '78 924NA and my '87 924S are now redundant. Any buyers for 2 really strong cars?
How will I get that wonderful V8 growl though?
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Dwak, I was waxing pedantic.

By 'ancilliary' I meant...AUXILIARY, SUPPLEMENTARY

It turns out, according to Renegade, that the 924 or 931 tranny, clutch, transmission mounts, bell housing, electrics, plumbing, mounts and fuel systems all need to be essentially from a Porsche 944, ideally a 944 S or 944 S2 in order to make the swap even worthwhile.

I followed this up with a call to a mechanic friend of mine who swaps V8's into Jaguars and he said he wouldn't touch a conversion because the cost for him to specially machine new conversion parts would put me or anyone else into the poorhouse. He said for less money, you can just buy a 944 Turbo.

Rick
dwak  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute Rick, I just read you waxing on pederastically in the 931 section and I said to myself ,Rick seems to be describing the devils own creation, not an engine. Therefore, I take it all back and I'm still looking for a user friendly/kickass/lighter than air replacement motor.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy at Whaletail advised it's also less expensive to buy a 944 turbo than try to swap a 944 turbo into a 924 turbo. Go figure.
larso  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but how much weight would you save with a 951 engine in there

couple hundred pounds? In fact why don't the GTRs have 951 engines in them, the aluminum isn't strong enough ?
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure of the weight of the 944 engine and turbo assembly. But that kind of engine and system in the 924, being so light, would give awesome performance.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I plan on doing that very same conversion. All you need to do is snag a 951 engine with all the acessories, including the rad, wiring and computer. Unless you like complicated, extensive and expensive modifications, get the Torque tube and tranny as well. There are two ways of mounting the engine. One is to modify the exisiting 924 front cross member, to accept the 951 mounts. The other, in my opinion, is to take the entire 951 crossmember, and swap your whole front end over to 951 mechanicals, from suspension + brakes, to steering, and while you're at it, you'll need bigger wheels and tires. So switch over to 5 bolts. If you can find a friendly wrecker, you're gold.
TonyMechanic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you basically take a perfect 951 (minus the bodywork) and swap the body of the 924 onto the 951???
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you keep the 924. The drivetrain gets swapped over. If you ask me, they added too much weight to the 944. Most parts are easily interchangeable between 944's and 924's. The problem is 924's 4 bolt system. Swap to a 951 hub/suspension/brake system, you have a 5 bolt pattern, and the brembo brakes and spectacular 951 suspension. It's a good upgrade.
John H  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-01 13:49, Cbass wrote:
Yes, I plan on doing that very same conversion. All you need to do is snag a 951 engine with all the acessories, including the rad, wiring and computer. Unless you like complicated, extensive and expensive modifications, get the Torque tube and tranny as well. There are two ways of mounting the engine. One is to modify the exisiting 924 front cross member, to accept the 951 mounts. The other, in my opinion, is to take the entire 951 crossmember, and swap your whole front end over to 951 mechanicals, from suspension + brakes, to steering, and while you're at it, you'll need bigger wheels and tires. So switch over to 5 bolts. If you can find a friendly wrecker, you're gold.

If you’re going to swap the entire front end over you’re better off taking a complete front cut of the car.
The 944 (951) cross member is NOT a straight swap over for the 924/931 unit. They have completely different mounting arrangement. Hence there is a fair bit of mucking around to get the 44 cross member in the correct place. As this also locates the front suspension you need to make sure it’s in the correct place otherwise handling will be totally stuffed up.
If you committed to putting a 951 motor into another car why piss around with a 924/931 just go straight for a cheap early 944 or (as Dwak) says a 924S with a dead motor. That way you're already got the 4 wheel dics, 5 stud wheels and the flared body (in the case of a 944)

[ This Message was edited by: john h on 2002-03-06 14:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: John H on 2002-03-06 14:07 ]
dwak  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I have to interject here. Why is the 944 fatbody so special and, if one is going 2.5 turbo, why not use a 924S with a blown engine (believe me, they litter the landscape)as the heart recipient?
dwak
Cbass  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to use a 924 because money is an object for me. I can get a 924 for about 1000 CDN. That works out to about 650 US. I can get low mileage 951 engines with torque tubes and trannys from any number of good sources for about 1500.

I can get a crashed 951 for about $3000 with a good drivetrain, suspension, brakes, interior, and swap that into my 924 for buttons.

I'd weigh less than a 951, be a sweet sleeper car, and above all, unique. I don't want the same car as everyone else.
dwak  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan Cbass-man!
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Kick ass, Cbass" - Steve

Actually, I've been looking at a 968 motor too. A little more expensive, but you get all the advantages of an S2 motor, with Variocam. I've checked out the turbo S and RS 968, but they both used a 951 head. I just have to find some low compression pistons and I'm set.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: