Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Rover V8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwak  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2001 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon,
Brabham supposedly won a F1 title using a Rover/Buick based V8 (according to Lanocha Racing) and a stock 924NA doing the 1/4 mile in 7 or 8 seconds sounds wacky to me. More like 7 minutes.

larso  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2001 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, first of all, I don't have much trust in Adie any more.

At one point she/he/transvestite is saying "quarter mile is in the high 10s now" over on the rennlist, and now she/he/transvestite on that site says 12.8

2.8 seconds 0-60....hmmm.....uh, no.

I also heard a woman say that a K and N cured her car from blowing oil...not being sexist here.

Canada is only cool in places other than toronto. THere are less mugs, you can actaully go out at night without having a gun in your pocket to steer off bad guys (there are still crimes here, just less people=less offspring=less chance of mentally ill people)

What sucks is that there is not any car interest here except for Montreal, no tracks at all, just 1 drag strip where i live.

I would have to say the worst place in canada is saskatchewan, and toronto.
larso  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2001 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHy go with the 924? just buy a TR7 and put a tr8 in it....the tr7 is the same shell as the tr8, just upgrade suspension...what's wrong with a tr7.

This rover engine is a 3.5 litre, some of you are missing that. A small block v-8 is like a ferrari engine, it isn't like a vette engine. Thats what i think is most important.

WHy bother having 8 cyls with 5 litres or 8 litres, 3.5 is plenty.

why bother having a 3 litre 4 cylinder...

You all keep saying "the 951 engine is the best way to go".

Turbos are out, the new vettes beat 911 turbos, sorry but i think small v-8s are the way to the future of fast light handling sports *ROAD* cars, not turbos.
Ferraris have been making small v-12s and v-8s since they started out!
We are talking about ROAD cars here guys, who wants to press the throttle down at an intersection and wait ten seconds for boost to kick in? race cars are different, no stop and go involved.

[ This Message was edited by: larso on 2001-09-08 15:47 ]
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2001 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This rover engine is a 3.5 litre, some of you are missing that. A small block v-8 is like a ferrari engine, it isn't like a vette engine. Thats what i think is most important. ... WHy bother having 8 cyls with 5 litres or 8 litres, 3.5 is plenty.

IMO, there are two important reasons to do an engine swap on a 924. First and most importantly, is power. The Rover 215 is rated anywhere from 150-200hp. Not very impressive. I was reading about one on the web that was bored form 3.5 to 4.3 liters and was "estimated at 260hp". No offense, but whoopee. If I'm going to swap an entire drivetrain, I should hope that I'd be able to get 300+ hp without having to buy a stroker kit for my new V8. This engine is old, and not particularly efficient. The only thing it really has going for it is weight.

The second big reason to do an engine swap is to save money on parts. You think buying parts for a Triumph is like buying parts for a Chevrolet? Even if you wanted parts from the early '60s Buicks they put these things in, you still won't be able to run down to Pep Boys and buy parts. I guess most of us are already used to buying parts from numerous sources, including the internet, specialty shops, and the dealer. Frankly, this seems like a whole lot of headache for 200 hp.

If I were going to waste my time with an engine swap, you'd better believe it would be a Chevrolet LT1 or LS1, or maybe a Ford 302. I'd want to be able to use their factory fuel injection systems, make tons of power, and be able to walk into the local Chief Auto to buy my parts.

Quote:
You all keep saying "the 951 engine is the best way to go".

I don't agree with this either, unless you buy your 951 engine with a 944 turbo wrapped around it. A 951 engine swap into a 924, 924 turbo, 944 n/a, or 924S is a waste of time, IMO. Unless you're masochistic, why wouldn't you just want to buy the car assembled? And maybe spend all that time you would be working the bugs from your swap out doing something else...say, making your new 944 turbo faster?

Quote:
Turbos are out, the new vettes beat 911 turbos, sorry but i think small v-8s are the way to the future of fast light handling sports *ROAD* cars, not turbos.
Ferraris have been making small v-12s and v-8s since they started out!
We are talking about ROAD cars here guys, who wants to press the throttle down at an intersection and wait ten seconds for boost to kick in? race cars are different, no stop and go involved.

Maybe, maybe not. Turbocharged cars are still the easiest engines to upgrade. Chip replacement (and nothing else) gets you 270hp in a 944 turbo. This is common for turbocharged cars. No such luck with n/a cars. The upgrades are hard, expensive, and usually make the car difficult to pass when the smog police come around.

And another thing. The Dodge Viper is a V10. Sorry, that's been bugging me for a while.
leon  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2001 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats right Jon. I reckon you should read this page as this guy is a rover v8 nut.http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Peter_Beech/TVR/engspec.htm , some people are paying up to 45000 pounds english for filthy 300+ hp rover v8's . I've had two rover v8.s and they have thier own idiosynchronicities. They get fuel delivery problems in the aussie heat. The 1978 Range Rover V8 seemed heaps more reliable for me than either the 3500mkII or my inlaws SDI.
In my humble experience an overhead cam motor shits on a pushrod motor cast or alloy. Here in australia a suprising number of companies retail chevy v6 and v8 conversion kits for Rangies which perhaps suggest?
A while ago I told the old discussion board about a local 924 conversion that has a 4cyl VW water cooled twin cam rated at 215 hp out of a golf gti . It cost him about 4000 AU ie $2000 US to do the whole thing. The motor cost about $1k US and the conversion $1k US. The weight was approx same and the balance of the car is perfect.

[ This Message was edited by: leon on 2001-09-09 09:18 ]
larso  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I actaully think foing from 110 HP to 300 is just too much Jon, that's where you really have to start gettign pissed off, torque tubes breaking, replacing your 15 inch tires every month, suspension cracking in half, and transmission breaking down every month. You would have to fit a corvette tranny in the car, or a 928 tranny.

With a 3.5 litre, you get more than the power of the 931, and more throttle response...the 931 has good power, so the 3.5 will have garunteed good power PLus some, since it's lowest rating is 150HP, no extra weight added. Chevies produce 300 HP, yah...but the weight,

and yah turbos ARE great for Cheapness, but again like you said if we bought a porsche we should have money to play with.

Power power power just cuz a vette can give you 300HP, how useable is it? who needs 300 Rear wheel HP on a road car anywho?
Mark CSC  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys I never said Adie was a bloke I just thought he/she was. He/she never said anything to confirm their sexuality!
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-09-09 10:07, larso wrote:
Well I actaully think foing from 110 HP to 300 is just too much Jon, that's where you really have to start gettign pissed off, torque tubes breaking, replacing your 15 inch tires every month, suspension cracking in half, and transmission breaking down every month. You would have to fit a corvette tranny in the car, or a 928 tranny.

I don't think anyone has good info on this. IMO, yes, you will probably break your 924 4-speed, or your snailshell if you swap to a V8. I think the Audi-type 931 transmission, or a 944/951 transmission should be able to hold up to 300hp just fine, as long as you ease off during the launch, and don't power-shift.

Because of this, the 924S, 944, or 951 would be the best candidates for this swap. I wouldn't even consider doing it in a normal 924, just because there's so much more to deal with. Transmission issues, brake issues, clutch issues, etc.

Quote:
With a 3.5 litre, you get more than the power of the 931, and more throttle response...the 931 has good power, so the 3.5 will have garunteed good power PLus some, since it's lowest rating is 150HP, no extra weight added. Chevies produce 300 HP, yah...but the weight

Hey, you won't get an argument from me about the Chevy V8 weight. It's one of the reasons why I think the swap is a waste of time. But what's the point of spending $4000 on a 3.5l V8 swap when all you'll likely get is a big headache, and a car that *might* be as fast as a stock 944 turbo? What's the f*cking point? (It won't handle as well, or stop as well either)

(here it comes folks...)
You could sell your car, and buy a 944 turbo for about the same money.

Quote:
and yah turbos ARE great for Cheapness, but again like you said if we bought a porsche we should have money to play with.

Not exactly. What I meant is that you should *expect* to pay lots of money for maintenance, since the car was once both rare and expensive. I don't think this means that everyone should be spending $4k on modifications to their $1500 car, but it unfortunately does means that when it comes time to buy a clutch, you're going to be spending $250 (or $500+ for the turbo) on parts instead of $50.

Quote:
Power power power just cuz a vette can give you 300HP, how useable is it? who needs 300 Rear wheel HP on a road car anywho?

Who doesn't?
dwak  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oh my, what a raw nerve this thread has exposed!
Gender issues, economic issues, reliability vs lack of.....and on and on.
Well keep it coming and we may find a solution to what I think is the perfect car's Achilles heel.
I still think Adie is a guy.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, Dwak, Adie is having us on?
pst  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2001 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Mac Laren, sorry for the delay in answering but I have been trying to go on vacation to Brazil. Unfortionately Tuesday's happinings have put a damper on that. Anyway, I never said anything about how much HP the 327 had. However, Chevy engines and parts a very readilly available and can be had very cheap if you look hard enough. I do a lot of trades. The 327 that I used ran reasonably well and I put it together for (just guessing because I didn't keep track) about $400. I bought rebuild parts and a cam and kit mail order and used a good block i had; a good 307 crank; a set of used 327/350 pistons; a set of used 1.94 open chamber heads (truck heads); corvette rams horn exh. manifolds that were given to me when a friend put headers on his Vette; I traded some other parts for a aluminum intake and carb. The car ran good and was fast, but I never went to the track or got any times. It did however make the car very fast. You don't necessarilly need a new LT1 any older small block will do just fine. The other thing to remember is that horsepower is not horespower. You need to look at the torque curve to get an idea as to how any vehicle will run. Also what you will use it for. I personally enjoy the feeling of the acceleration. I don't care if I will be able to beat anyone else because there will always be someone with more money and concequently more power.
I buy my steel and aluminum from a scrap yard for almost nothing so the parts that I fabricated were very cheap. It all depends on how and where you obtain your parts and supplies.
Unfortionately I do not have any pictures of the car as I needed to sell it as soon as it was finished. (I was getting devorced at the time) I haven't seen the car since.
larso  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2001 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the whole idea of modifying street cars is stupid, cuz it's no fun to drive a fast car around town (where can you go arond corners fast properly? where can you in straight lines without a cop near by?)

So I think all this is a waste of time unless you are tracking the car, but then how many v-8 porsches are out on the track is what I would like to know, like for example the rover 8 924s, why don't they have them on track, do they? Or is it some restriction problem that no race car can have a foreign engine in it?

Vaughan here is bassackwards, he's got a underpowerd 924 on track, and here all these street people are trying to get 300 HP monstor 924s, jeez.
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2001 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Scott has the right track with his car on the track.

Yes- you don't see many modified cars on race courses. This is because the classing issues would have to require you to really spend money to make your car competitive.

I think modified cars are really kewl and give a different character and flavor to a car.

I want to keep a Porsche 4 cyl in my car. I just love to blow them away, then they ask how much power my V8 has... then I tell 'um it's a 4 cyl first... they don't believe me- so I open the hood as I tell them it's 2 liters...

I dunno why, but I always get wierd looks and disbelievement...

really funny

- Jon

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
Faust  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2001 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this thread got me thinking. So, I called around and located a Rover SD1 motor for $300.00. Is there actually a kit available? Someone mentioned converting a TR7 to a TR8. Yes, it is easy. All you need is a TR8 crossmemer for the mounts. These are available from England. About 600USD.
dwak  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2001 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subject:
Re: 924 conversion
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:52:55 -0000
"Adie the Throp"
To:

References:

The rover weighs in at 35 pounds lighter than the stock 924 engine, now your
smiling, you need to loose the serve as it is in the way, and the rear axle
and torque tube need to be 944 as the 924 is not strong enough, the 924 S is
the same as the 944 and the 924 turbo, the splines are also the same as
rover, you need to fabricate a plate to mate the 944 belhousing to the rover
(924 will not fit) and you also need a 944 radiator and fill up tank. An
eletric fan and an eletric waterpump, ( I sell all of these components) the
engine mounts are fabricated from scratch as I'm to lazy to mess around with
the originals. Unfortunatly I am in England but I am looking to go to Canada
soon, your other problem will be carb and manifiold but I have many ways of
overcoming this. Let me know if I can be of assistance.
Adie http:/www.amt.racing@talk21.com

[ This Message was edited by: dwak on 2001-10-02 12:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: dwak on 2001-10-02 12:57 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: