Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Rover V8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwak  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at Adie the Throps unit @http://www.jewebdesign.co.uk/944gt.htm
By the way, has anybody in N. America done this? The Rover is about 300 lbs and less than the 4 banger.
Why do it?
Because you could stick a Holley carb and a manual choke on it and still go like stink.
Ciao,
dwak
cs  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was just talking about the rover v8 today with my brother, as both of us were eyeing my mg midget. of course you could just get a triumph stag and have a boxer convertable with one already in it, but what would be the fun in that.
jamez  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0-60 in 2.8 seconds!?!?!?
Revis Rose  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know if I buy his performance figures, you know what they say about figures. But you could and easy 250Hp out of the Rover 3.5L engine, and that would make a 924 scream. I say go for it and tell use how you did it.
dwak  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll do it then.
My objective is a non rusting, super handling, relatively cheap, good looking, smoke your rear wheels at will, tune your engine with a screw driver type of car. And as much as I admire the 2 litre NA's durability, I'm having a hard time getting the rest of the cars weight down to 500lbs.
Ciao now,
DWAK de bois
bacook  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you get this engine? What cars did it come in?
924_fan  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine dates back to the early 1960s when it was an option for Buick Specials and the Oldsmobile F-85. Then it was referred to as a 215 cid engine. A turbocharger was optional with this engine. In General Motors eyes it was a costly engine to manufacture (aluminum block with cast iron cylinder liners). So, the tooling was sold to Rover. The Rover produced engine is referred to as a 3500. It has been used in the MG-V8, Morgan +8, and Rover 3500.

[ This Message was edited by: 924_fan on 2001-08-27 04:40 ]
larso  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like parts would be more expensive than just a vette engine...right?
MAS  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha... my favourite V8 for small sports cars, the "Baby Buick" aka Rover 3.5 liter aluminum V8.

Would it be more expensive than a Vette V8? maybe, but it depends on which Vette and Vette engine you are talking about. Larso, if you mean would it be as expensive as a new all-aluminum Vette C5 350... the answer is: no... not even close. Probably the best sourse for these engine would be the Rover 3500 cars, You can still see a few of them around. The V8 was used in Rovers from the late sixties onward. Until finally the 3500 was redesigned into a wedgy-looking sedan and sold in the US for 2 maybe 3 years about 15-20 years ago.

Another source of the engine (in the US)would be the Triumph TR8, which was basically the TR7 with the 3.5 liter V8. But, unless the car is a complete wreck/write-off, you'd be crazy not to restore the TR8, since these are pretty rare V8 sports cars.

MG in its infinite and idiotic "wisdom" decided that they'd only make the 3.5 liter MGB GT for the UK market only! You can only imagine the dolts on the MG management board thinking that there was no market for a V8 MG in the US! You'll still see a few early 70s MGBGT V8s in North America (with right hand drive). But again... it would be crazy to use this rare car as an engine source.

Someone mentioned the Triumph Stag. Even though this was a V8 car, it had a 3.0 liter (Triumph?) V8, and not the Rover 3.5 liter. These engine were not reliable... although the stag was a very nice looking sports car... rather like a Jensen Healey.

As someone else said, the 3.5 liter engine was found in quite a variety of smaller UK sports car manufacters (Morgan and TVR for example). So there probably is a reasonable supply of these engines in the UK... if you know where to look.

Today, you'll see the 3.5 engine stroked (rebored) to 4.0 liters in the newer Land and Range Rovers. Needless to say, these would be expensive options for doner cars.

So unless, I've forgotten something, I'd say that the best source in the US would be an older Rover sedan.

-MAS
dwak  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donor engines are available in the US and Canada for about $900US and less. Try ROVERCANNIBAL.COM.
Kick ass formula one type Rover engines are about $4000US from Lanocha Racing in Texas.
They are 'like sand' in the UK.
MAS  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Donor engines are available in the US and Canada for about $900US and less"

That's a good price. I definitely think that this would be the best way to go for a V8 924/944. With minor mods you'd be looking at a very tractable 250 hp... and the balance of the car would probably be not that far off the original.

-MAS
larso  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the triumph tr-8 uses a rover 8 doesn't it, there is a tr8 engine for sale in my paper seriously, there was a week ago, hmmmm....tr8s usually rust out, so restoring them is hard.
I just haven't seen any rover 8s around at my pick your part yards, but i guess if u can find ones for 900 thats good, get 1 for parts, 1 for use.
still 1800 bucks...what do u gotta do for a clutch, and tranny, 931 or 944 one?

[ This Message was edited by: larso on 2001-08-27 06:08 ]
MAS  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I think the triumph tr-8 uses a rover 89 doesn't it?"

I don't know exactly what a Rover 89 is. But the TR8 definitely had the Rover 3.5 liter under the hood.

I think that the 944 trannies should be able to handle the Rover V8, as it's not exactly a huge torque monster. Barring that, the 931 or 951 trannies would probably be fine.

-MAS

MAS  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Larso... I see that you've edited you're post. Anyway, yes... the TR8 engine is the real McCoy

-MAS
larso  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so u gotta get the flywheel from a 44, does it bolt right on.

[ This Message was edited by: larso on 2001-08-27 06:20 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: