Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Attention Prospective Members: New Signup Process
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Attention Prospective Members: New Signup Process Reply with quote

Due to the increased number of spammers and link free-loaders that are trying to abuse 924board.org I have changed the signup process.

To join 924board.org you agree to our terms and conditions and fill out and submit a registration form. At that point a notification will be sent to me and I will review the details and decide whether to activate or delete your account.

This will mean that it will take up to a day to get your membership activated.

A couple of things to remember if you want to get approved:

• Don't bother trying to signup with an email address in one of those $2 four character .com domains eg. xyds.com. Whenever I see those I automatically delete the application and add the domain to the banned list.

• Don't bother trying to signup with an email address that is within a domain with a bad reputation for spam. A Google search is run on every email address and email domain.

• Don't bother trying to signup with an email address that doesn't exist, doesn't work or requires the sender to answer a quiz before their email can get to you.

• Put your country and or state and city in the signup form. Blank forms will go to the botton of the "to do" list. And make sure that your email address and your country match, saying you're from Alabama and using a .ru email address is not going to get you activated.

After your membership is activated your first few posts will be monitored and any attempt to sell a product not related to Porsche 924s or to post a link to a site not related to Porsche 924s will result in an immediate ban of you, your email provider and the IP addresses that you have used and the deletion of all posts you have made.

If for some reason your membership is not activated in 24 hours and you really do own a 924 then send me an email telling me what userid you signed up with and attaching a photo of your car so I know you're genuine.

Hopefully this will keep the board clean by keeping the scum out.

Update

Currently out of every five membership applications three are spammers or link free-loaders and get deleted and banned immediately, one looks genuine but hasn't filled in any details so gets deleted and gets sent an email inviting them to re-apply and one has bothered to put their details in the registration form and gets accepted.

Moral of the story; if you're genuine and want to be accepted first time then fill out the registration form.

Last edited by admin on Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that you have to go to the extra lengths to keep the garbage and riffraff out, but thanks for doing so!
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hes right Internet abuse its every where.. I'm a
multiple hobby kind of guy you'd say & Ive seen other hobby sites
get wiped out from spam there still wrestling with the back-up trying
to get on line. This is Vaughns hobby & others see how
he protects it. Are we all appreative or what. Way to go.

Last edited by Joes924Racer on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
D Hook  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. Very nice work.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your work.
Mike924  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know the board's in safe hands.

Well done and thanks.

'There is no substitute for a little grease under your fingernails.' - Chrenan, 924board.org
FRporscheman  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me come aboard! I've seen the type of spammers you're talking about and they're just plain ridiculous. Nobody buys what they're selling anyway, so why do they bother?
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A man of action! Vaughan Scott for President!!!!
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aieee! Today's newest member:

Britneyspearsitoutofcon

Can't wait to see what he has to offer. Maybe it's Sequential under a new name!
germ924  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for keeping us all safe from them pirates out there. It is very much appreciated and I hope I speak for us all 924ers. Its a shame all these steps have to be taken but, you got to do what you got to do and I'm glad your taking care of it.

THANKS WITH A THUMBS UP!!
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Currently out of every five membership applications three are spammers or link free-loaders . "

What a headache. Must be a mess trying to keep this place clean. Dirty internet!
87 924S gone
84 944 sold
83 944 sold
89 turbo S LSD, ABS etc
86 951 white rocket
85 944 sport everything.
84 944 sold.
87 944 sold
Frank.Ind  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Attention Prospective Members: New Signup Process Reply with quote

admin wrote:

Update

Currently out of every five membership applications three are spammers or link free-loaders and get deleted and banned immediately, one looks genuine but hasn't filled in any details so gets deleted and gets sent an email inviting them to re-apply and one has bothered to put their details in the registration form and gets accepted.

Moral of the story; if you're genuine and want to be accepted first time then fill out the registration form.

That was me!

Got here eventually though. Let the spam begin
CrashTest  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Oops, again... Reply with quote

Yeah I think I fit one of those categories, sorry for the trouble and for my first post to sell stuff.

I've been reading for quite a while and do very much appreciate everyone's efforts toward this fantastic resource.

sammy
CorsePerVita  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to PM me, i may have a solution for you. I run a motorcycle forum with a modified plugin that has so far only allowed 1 spammer through since i've initiated the plugin since april of 2008. I was doing admin approval on accounts due to the massive amount of automated spammers i was getting (believe me, they are automated). I was also ip blocking them. did no good. i had a huge amount of ranges and then they'd use fricken' proxy servers to get around that. never ending battle.

good news - i haven't had one failed registration with a legitimate human being since i started it.

better news - it runs off of the same kind of forum software that you are using.

i will not discuss how it works publicly because the more forums that use it, the more i risk having spammers figure it out. if you would like to see it, i'd be happy to show you. the best part is that it isn't a hassle for real people. 95% of these registrations on phpbb forums ARE actually automated and standard captcha will NOT work as the bots have figured it out and know how to source it. this, on the other hand, uses a simple method in the signup process which the bots can't get around as it requires intelligence.

I would be happy to contribute it to this forum if you would be interested in it because i feel it's the least i can do with people being so willing to help me here.
- 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa
- 1999 Ducati 900SS
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer. I put a simple hack into the software about a year ago that cut the automated sign-ups to zero and haven't had one since.

We average about two registrations per day and it only takes a few seconds to eyeball the details and decide whether to activate them or to ask them to try again. Fortunately most spammers are unbelievably stupid (like their customers I suppose) and easily spotted or too busy or scared to come back once they get rejected.

Learn to love your multimeter and may the search be with you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: