Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

My Porsche at an AutoCross
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Kouridakis  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you try going to a PCA track day or club race to spectate. Porsche people are usually pretty cool and if you meet the right people you might get to help out. 17 is pretty young so you have plenty of time to get into racing. Besides, racing aint cheap and stuff breaks all of the time.

There's a lot of clubs out there. http://www.emra.org is cool
Michael Kouridakis  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave the wrong address for EMRA it's: http://www.emraracing.org

Good luck.
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand your problems.Pocono is around the corner and I go often during DE days and drive. Not the most challenging but nice. We also go to Summit Point WVA which is 5 hours from NY. Watkins Glen the same time frame and lets not forget New Hamshire. The last three are about 5 hours drive. I drive my car to all the tracks, change tires etc.
This summer was the first time I could not get home. The engine started tapping and needed a rebuild. A friend took me home on his trailer and I drove home his car.
If you need a father figure use my name and tell your mother I will take good care of you. By the way Hershey is coming up. See you there.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, consider this, racers are our own family! Just a matter of finding a crew ot hang with, and you'll be handled! I know I've got my own family at the racetrack, both the close immediate family that crew for me and that I paddock with, and the extended family of flaggers, stewards, racers I share the track with and run against, other drivers and crew I chat with at the track and online... the list goes on and on...

Drivers are always looking for crew, and the drivers foot the bill (or should) on things like refreshment, etc. Crewing or working the event (such as flagging) are highly recommended as the cheapest way to go racing... remember, flagging a corner is the second best seat in the house! You're closer to the action than everybody than the house except the drivers themselves! I still love to flag..

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
yOnKiNaToR  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i have to get my car fixed but keep updated on when you guys go down to watkins glen or pocono and maybe i can go down and enroll in a DE thing and see some of you there. I know a guy with an early '80's 911 that goes to watkins glen all the time. He is the porsche mechanic at a dealership and he told me to go up there sometime 'cause you'll have a blast.

also, do you have to be in the PCA to enroll in DE?
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, never actually replied to this. Check with the region that's running the DE, but I don't believe you have to be a member. Certainly non-Porsches are allowed, and I think (at least in our region) we allow non-PCA members. However, I'm not sure, and it may vary region-to-region. It might also depend on how full the events get.

Also, if you have the chance to go down to Summit Point for a DE with Founder's Region (www.pcapotomac.org), you should. It's a highly-rated track, and the guy who runs the DE program is John Brown, our previous webmeister and a genuine 924 nut - started the Register with him way back when.
http://www.pcapotomac.org/pca/html/drivers__ed.shtm

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: