Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Droping a blue oval.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porsche924boy  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Droping a blue oval. Reply with quote

Hay guys. Long time no see. I hate the damn engine. Only runs when it wants to, so I think I might just tranplant either a Ford 302 5.0 HO out of a lincolne, or a 351, from a thing of engines my granpal had. Cause if I do go the transplant route, then I need to know a few things.

1. Will the transaxle take the power of either the 302 or 351
2. Will the 351, being carbed, will I need to put a hole in the hood. (If so I might get a funtional scoop for it. Not one of the pro drag scoops.)
3. I know I'll need to do the whole, make engine mounts, proably make a oil pan, etc, but what am I missing
4. I'm leaning towards the 351, cause it's out of a mustang I think. But I also don't want to do alot of wiring, so going carbed sounds good, or am I making a big mistake, going carbed.

Auto Technician Diploma
Diesel Technician Diploma
JakeFrame  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: quick question Reply with quote

What kind of money are looking at putting into your car?
1977 924 4 spd
1992 Mercedes 300e 4MATIC
Porsche924boy  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know how much while were at it. Cause I might just save the money and do it. SO just help me out here. Thnx.

Auto Technician Diploma
Khal  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Droping a blue oval. Reply with quote

Porsche924boy wrote:
1. Will the transaxle take the power of either the 302 or 351

It will. The real question is, "How long will it take the power..?"
I'm skeptical. But others here argue it's not a problem. PORSCHEV's apparently got the stock trans' behind a big V8. Near as I can figure, Porver9two4 has the transaxle in his, too (although his is a small Rover V8 and he started with a 924S, which has a different transaxle to a '78 NA, right?). There are probably others, try searching.

Porsche924boy wrote:
2. Will the 351, being carbed, will I need to put a hole in the hood. (If so I might get a funtional scoop for it. Not one of the pro drag scoops.)

Probably best. Although it may not be strictly necessary, depending on how you route the air intake.

EDIT: Thinking about it, it may actually be necessary. Fitting a standard-type air box between the top of the carb'/engine and the hood of 924, then routing an intake tube to it may not be possible (or at least not practical)?

Porsche924boy wrote:
3. I know I'll need to do the whole, make engine mounts, proably make a oil pan, etc, but what am I missing

Can't say. But PORSCHEV has some details of what he did on his site.

Porsche924boy wrote:
4. I'm leaning towards the 351, cause it's out of a mustang I think. But I also don't want to do alot of wiring, so going carbed sounds good, or am I making a big mistake, going carbed.

I'm only guessing here, but I suspect the overall dimensions of the engine is the critical deciding factor in engine choice. I'm no V8 guru but I do know that the Ford 351's are BIG, WIDE engines! (BTW, as I understand it, there are two types of 351, "Cleveland" and "Windsor". To the best of my knowledge, the difference is the heads on each) It's entirely possible that this engine simply wouldn't fit in the engine bay of the 924. You're gonna wanna check that THOROUGHLY before diving into the swap.

Finally, the Khal Caveat... doing this sort of thing can be very expensive and very time consuming. Ask yourself, seriously, "Is it worth it?"

I figure you're considering the swap 'cause you can get the engine cheap or free. That's a good start but probably nothing in the grand scheme of things. I'm guessing that for the all-up cost of the engine swap, you could get a nice 924 Turbo or 924S... maybe even a nice later 944? Think about it...
turbobob9242  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. you will need to drill a hole in the hood for the carb.

2. the trans will hold up OK but only up to 400ft lbs.

3. I would think you could get the top end of a current 5.0 mustang and do EFI.

Someone else did this already??
Porsche924boy  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I thinks its a windser (There are 3, a windser, clevland, and the modifides.) But I'll try and get a PM to porschev. I got the tools and stuff, and yeah it would take time, but it would be worth it. But no, a 351 is smaller than the 427 porschev, and would fit, cause I measured.

Auto Technician Diploma
StienbargerR  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think your best bet is to get a renegade mod, although, you probably would have to do some major work, since they only sell 944 packages now.

Ryan
Porsche924boy  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I could get pre made mounts for the 5.0 (Which after long thought and other BS thats what I'd go with.) And we have the stuff to make a conversion plate to the engine would bolt onto the bell housing. And with it being EFI, I could do some work, convert it to mustang style EFI, and add a supercharger if I wanted. But I don't want to buy another Transaxle, or anything like that. If it can be done, or had a print out thing, and read it over theroughly, then I might do it, but I would really like a good Idea. I'll have to PM PORSCHEV.

Auto Technician Diploma
CBass  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche924boy wrote:
Well I could get pre made mounts for the 5.0 (Which after long thought and other BS thats what I'd go with.) And we have the stuff to make a conversion plate to the engine would bolt onto the bell housing. And with it being EFI, I could do some work, convert it to mustang style EFI, and add a supercharger if I wanted. But I don't want to buy another Transaxle, or anything like that. If it can be done, or had a print out thing, and read it over theroughly, then I might do it, but I would really like a good Idea. I'll have to PM PORSCHEV.

Hooooo boy. Forget about the 351. If you need to tell the difference, there are 5 bolts that hold the valve covers on for the Windsor and 8 bolts for the Cleveland heads.

351s are bigger, heavier engines than the 302. The 302 is really a better engine for a swap for a bunch of reasons. Smaller, lighter, better heads, better valvetrain, bottom end etc. Heads and boltons will get you 400hp and 380ftlbs on pump gas. Go with a carb, it'll be an easier swap and you'll make more power than you would with the Ford fuel injection. If you do go EFI you'll want better stuff than the OEM Ford manifold, injectors etc. Start with a carb and you'll have very little wiring work to do.

I wouldn't trust the 4 speed to hold up under that kind of power. When Bob says 400ftlbs, he's not talking about a stock 20mm '78 transmission, he's been breaking 951 transaxles. Get a 951 box if you want it to hold up.
Porsche924boy  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think its a clevland, so thanks man for that. But if I do a transplant, I'm going EFI, cause well it make since to me to do EFI, even though I don't want to do wiring.

Auto Technician Diploma
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: