Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 - 944 swap
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ic932  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi goodluck with the conversion. the crossmember is certainli the kei. i have a 951 shell that i'm in the process of using as a base for a 931 track car so i'm going through the reverse process to what u are contemplating. i have alreadi cut the 931 motor mounts out readi to have welded into the 951 shell..veri simple and straight forward process, then i'm readi to assemble.

the difference in engine suspension is simple, the 924 has engine mounts located on the chassis rails just in front of the bulkhead (firewall) which is probabli the strongest part of the car. the 924S and 944 engines mount on to the crossmember which is cast aluminium, rigid and strong. it is also mounted to the chassis rails but in a much more sturdi wai then the 924.

i've read of people using the 924 crossmember to mount a 944 engine bi simpli strengthening it...but its the lack of strength in the mounting points where the cross member bolts to the chassis that i would be worried about!

the 924 crossmember (and the wai it is mounted to the chassis) is designed to deal with the forces from the wishbones(control arms) and the steering rack onli. bi adding a 944 engine to this would require serious strengthening....

i think u are undertaking a veri worthwhile project and i am not one of those guis that would simpli advise u to get a 924S bodishell, but mi advise would be to look into the possibiliti of cutting out the neccessari 944 crossmember mounting points and having them welded into ur 924. until u find out that this is achieavable i personnali would forget about it.

once u have the 944 crossmember in place then of course its a simple case of switching the wiring harness and brakelines and the rest is a routine bolt on affair...

good luck. if u need ani pics of the 951 crossmember mounting points i'll gladli post them...
arx  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ic932 wrote:
hi goodluck with the conversion. the crossmember is certainli the kei. i have a 951 shell that i'm in the process of using as a base for a 931 track car so i'm going through the reverse process to what u are contemplating. i have alreadi cut the 931 motor mounts out readi to have welded into the 951 shell..veri simple and straight forward process, then i'm readi to assemble.

I would had done it differently though. Why worry with 931 original mounts when its gonna be track car and you need solid mounts anyway. I think you can mount 931 engine to the 951 crossmember same way as 944/951 engine by making new mounting arms(shoulders) for your 931 engine.

Quote:

the difference in engine suspension is simple, the 924 has engine mounts located on the chassis rails just in front of the bulkhead (firewall) which is probabli the strongest part of the car. the 924S and 944 engines mount on to the crossmember which is cast aluminium, rigid and strong. it is also mounted to the chassis rails but in a much more sturdi wai then the 924.

i've read of people using the 924 crossmember to mount a 944 engine bi simpli strengthening it...but its the lack of strength in the mounting points where the cross member bolts to the chassis that i would be worried about!

the 924 crossmember (and the wai it is mounted to the chassis) is designed to deal with the forces from the wishbones(control arms) and the steering rack onli. bi adding a 944 engine to this would require serious strengthening....

Must agree that the 944 mounting points for x-member are much sturdier but I wouldn't be too worried about that though. I haven't noticed any fatigue or bending on my car yet.

Quote:

i think u are undertaking a veri worthwhile project and i am not one of those guis that would simpli advise u to get a 924S bodishell, but mi advise would be to look into the possibiliti of cutting out the neccessari 944 crossmember mounting points and having them welded into ur 924. until u find out that this is achieavable i personnali would forget about it.

once u have the 944 crossmember in place then of course its a simple case of switching the wiring harness and brakelines and the rest is a routine bolt on affair...

good luck. if u need ani pics of the 951 crossmember mounting points i'll gladli post them...

Welding the 944 crossmember mounting points is a one possible way to do it. Also you must not forget to change the A-arm mounting points as they are located differently in 931 shell.
If you change for 944/951 crossmember you need to get a 944 steering rack as well because your old 931 rack mounting points would not fit any more. Too much rebuilding for me.
ic932  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reason i decided to cut 931 engine mounts and weld them into the 951 shell was for simplicity,as the mounts sit flush along the rails and tight against the bulkhead. its very simple and its guaranteed to be aligned accurately.

i hav'nt come across any issues regarding the wishbone mounts,all wishbones are interchangeable between 924,931,944,951(theres offset differences and sway bar mounting differences and a little bit of cutting/re-enforcing needs to be done to make the alloy wishbones fit to the 931 steel cross-member.) in fact early 944 used the same steel wishbones as the later 924,931 and 924S. so there is no problem with wishbones.
ic932  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arx is right about the steering rack, u would need a 944 manual steering rack...easy enough to get hold of those, i just bough on on ebay for £20.
arx  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ic932 wrote:
i hav'nt come across any issues regarding the wishbone mounts,all wishbones are interchangeable between 924,931,944,951(theres offset differences and sway bar mounting differences and a little bit of cutting/re-enforcing needs to be done to make the alloy wishbones fit to the 931 steel cross-member.) in fact early 944 used the same steel wishbones as the later 924,931 and 924S. so there is no problem with wishbones.

yeah sure you can use what ever wishbones you like. In fact I use steel cross-member and late offset al. wisbones
What I meant was difference in distance of left and right wishbone mountings to the bodyshell.
If you use 924S/944/951 body and al. cross-member or 924/931 body and steel cross-member you are clear. But using al.cross-member with 924/931 body or steel cross-member with 924S/944/951 wont work without adjusting the mounting holes in the body
JakeFrame  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: just an idea Reply with quote

1977 924 4 spd
1992 Mercedes 300e 4MATIC
Oysteinrb  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so im not THAT into different porsche models yet, but the stuff you are saying seems to make sense somehow...

to sum up, my 924 (which is the car i am swapping the 944 engine into) is a 1976 model. the 944 car is a 1982 model. i also have another spare 944 engine.

so have i understood correctly if i think it is something like this?
-make shells ( ) out of both cars (my plan anyway).
-cut off the CROSSMEMBER MOUNTS on my 924
-cut off the CROSSMEMBER MOUNTS on my 944
-weld the 944 CROSSMEMBER MOUNTS in place where the 924 crossmember mounts were "a moment ago"
-everything else is bolt on

correct so far?

what is this talk about the crossmember materials/width, and wishbones? and do i have to do anything with the steering thing?

remember, both cars are COMPLETE (apart from the grille on the 944 as you can clearly see on the pics)

thank you for giving me all this info! i will be sure to take pictures all the way throught the swap! if anyone has any pictures of mounts, crossmembers, or other swap-essential stuff, please post... this could turn into the a-b-c 924-944 swap tread..

thanks again.

Oeystein
arx  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oysteinrb wrote:
-make shells ( ) out of both cars (my plan anyway).

Yeah almost
Quote:
-cut off the CROSSMEMBER MOUNTS on my 924

No need at all. Actually removing them would reduce the body's strength/rigidity.
Quote:
-cut off the CROSSMEMBER MOUNTS on my 944

944 doesn't have them.
Quote:
-weld the 944 CROSSMEMBER MOUNTS in place where the 924 crossmember mounts were "a moment ago"

Look above
Quote:
-everything else is bolt on

Allmost. You said your 924 is from 1976? There may be more differences. At least rear torsion bar housing mounting is different.

Quote:
what is this talk about the crossmember materials/width, and wishbones? and do i have to do anything with the steering thing?

924 crossmember: material steel, mounting holes for wishbones wider
apart, steering rack mounting holes closer together , mounting holes crossmember to body - totally different than in 944

944 crossmember: material aluminum, mounting holes for wishbones closer together, steering rack mounting holes wider apart , mounting holes crossmember to body - totally different than in 924

About wishbone's material/width - looking at your 944 they should be steel, same width only differing thing is font stabilizer mountings at the shell and wishbones.
Oysteinrb  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the remedy is to just weld the 944 mounts on to my 924 crossmember..?
Adie  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the 944 engine mounts bolt to the crossmember, get a 944 x-member and bolt that in, the the mounts then bolt to the x-member. I cut my 924 mounts off to make room for the headers and I have had no issues.
CBass  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adie wrote:
No, the 944 engine mounts bolt to the crossmember, get a 944 x-member and bolt that in, the the mounts then bolt to the x-member. I cut my 924 mounts off to make room for the headers and I have had no issues.

It won't bolt into the car, you'd have to modify the body to accept the 944 crossmember.

Alternative solution!

1) Fabricate a new crossmember out of aluminum channel and flatbar.
2) Make it so it mounts to the 924 body, accepts the 924(Golf 1) steering rack etc.
3) Gusset the OEM mounting locations to cope with any additional forces.
4) ?????
5) Profit!
Oysteinrb  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBass wrote:
Adie wrote:

It won't bolt into the car, you'd have to modify the body to accept the 944 crossmember.

Alternative solution!

1) Fabricate a new crossmember out of aluminum channel and flatbar.
2) Make it so it mounts to the 924 body, accepts the 924(Golf 1) steering rack etc.
3) Gusset the OEM mounting locations to cope with any additional forces.
4) ?????
5) Profit!

Ha ha! i`ll actually look into that i think. just have to get my 3d design program up and running again...

i have bought tools and stuff a few days ago, so when i am done with this last exam (tomorrow) i will start gutting the 944.
any suggestions where i stould start? i was thinking of removing all the interior first, then going for the engine and drivetrain..

I`ll post pics as soon as i get something done..
Oysteinrb  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are some pictures of my progress so far. i have only had time to work one day on the 944, but i feel i was fairly effective. a friend also helped out.

here are some suspension/x-member pics firstly:

so i guess those big bolts on the pics are the x-member mounts we are discussing.. right? (first pic is from in front of the pass. side wheel, and the second is from behind the driv. side wheel)

can anyone of you identify those wishbones and what type they are..? sorry about the bad view angles.

a few pics of the motormounts and the steering thing.

just a few pics there of the progress so far. the next thing on the list is to get the carpet and dashboard out. then comes the engine.
lastly i guess i`ll go tor the driveline and suspension.

lastly, a pic of the parts removed so far. on the right is my spare 944 engine..
ic932  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like you have made some good progress so far. those wishbones are standard 944 (82-85.5) steel items. they are also used on late 82- 924's. you have probably noticed they have different swaybar mounting points to the early 924's.

if you decide to cut and weld the 944 crossmember mounting points to your 924 then it would be worth including the swaybar mounts when you do the cutting. this will allow you to use a 951 swaybar in the future.

have you had a chance to compare your 924 crossmember and swaybar mounting points with the 944 ones yet?
Oysteinrb  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have not had the chance to look much on anything on the 924, but i will try to take some pics when i continue my "944 gutting mission" this sunday.

for those of you who have already done it, was welding the 944 x-member mounts on to the 924 hard to do?

thanks.

i will give you an update on my progress ASAP..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: