Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Piston weight 8.5:1 compression Mahle from EBS...how are the

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mahle pistons from EBS weighed in at 633 grams and these were supposed to be the Mahle pistons from the Carrera GT. I paid USD $750 for these pistons, yet the web page says they should weigh in at 530 grams. What's up with that? The pistons I have were overbored by 1/2 a mm, which in NO WAY can account for a 100 grams extra weight.

[ This Message was edited by: Rick MacLaren on 2002-02-20 03:17 ]
John Brown  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, if I recall those specs were submitted by another member and were not verified or lifted from Porsche references. There is a lot of room for variation under those circumstances. If the pistons you got are Mahle and appear to be otherwise the real McCoy then I would figure they are quality parts and go with them.

Frankly, I don't know why you guys wouldn't go for forged JE or something, ordered up with state of the art coatings applied at the source. But then, I just bought a clutch disc from the local Ford dealer didn't I!

John
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John.

Yes I don't mean to be too hard on EBS. I was told by EBS that the pistons I bought were genuine Carrera GT pistons. In fact, on inspection, the parts are numbered 053, which is the part number for the Euro...according to Andial's list anyway. And on that same list the part number for the GT is 052. So yes, when I look at the JE price I feel a tad ripped off.

I went for Mahle cause the PCA said Mahle were the best piston manufacturer in the world (now I'm rolling my eyes that I believed that), and the guys at EBS said these pistons were higher compression than the JE. They said the JE didn't match the GT for compression. So I went with what they suggested I buy. Darn.

So I dunno. They're going in the car anyways. Too late now to quibble with them. But I think they should be priced lower than $750 USD considering they're not what I was told I was getting.

As I age I've learned to say "Oh well"...and shrug my shoulders.

Rick

[ This Message was edited by: Rick MacLaren on 2002-02-17 04:05 ]
bacook  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel bad, I just paid $70 for a pair of headlight buckets from an RX7. I tried for $40 and even left the salvage yard for about 20 minutes pissed off. Then I realized I was tired and hungry and would never be able to beat a junk yard man. I paid my money and left. Oh, well!
John H  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

The GT never had Mahle pistons - they always had KS (KobelSchmidt) forged pistons - this could account for the weight difference.

So if EBS sold you pistons from Mahle then they've sold you normal Euro pistons not the GT's.

Mahle pistons are cast while the KS are forged - Also KS can not supply GT pistons anymore - there a few sets floating around the world in the dealer stock once they're gone then it's after market or Mahle cast pistons
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can recall of a recent converstation with Mahle about GT/GTS/GTR pistons, that there were some Forged units available on the stock european cars. All the other pistons were one off runs for Porsche only. They have little to no record of production specifications and leave it up to Porsche to have the info.

I need to finidh the research converation with thim and will pop the representantive an email asking for parts numbers for the the stock cars

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the email text from EBS racing to me, so by their accounts, they believed they were selling me the Carrera GT pistons:

"The price for the 87mm, 8.5:1 pistons is $750 per set. The UPS Ground
shipping is $22 w/insurance. If you wanted faster service the price
would be $67! The ground shipping might actually be a little less
depending on your actual location."

Thank You, Don Weaver-EBS Co.

So who knows.

Don wrote me today and said they're investigating the piston TRUE compression through Mahle. So they are really doing a good job to try to find out what is going on.

It might be that ANDIAL's list of piston parts is incorrect...

[ This Message was edited by: Rick MacLaren on 2002-02-20 03:16 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: