Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

17" wheels
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will 17 by 7.5 inch wheels fit on a 1987 924S If so what size tire would I use so my speedo doesnt get messed up. Also is there any down side to doing this
-nick  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe they will fit in the rear but not the front. to keep your speedo reading right you want to keep the same tire diameter. check out tirerack.com. under 'specs' they tell you tire diameters. i believe stock diameter is something like 23.4".

i just saw an S with 17" on it at the rennsport reunion. they were boxster/turbo twist style wheels with 205/50/17 rubber on them. they fit just fine and were probably either 6.5 or 7" wide. you'll need a small spacer in the front to clear the struts, and probably a spacer in the rear also.

-nick
-nick  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-also-
no down sides, other than better corning due to having a lower profile tire (less sidewall flex). the ride will be a little harsher because of this also.

-nick
Dave  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some guy at Forgeline wheels said that I could clear 17 by 8 on front and 17 by 9 on back. I got in a big fight with him because I didnt think I could. The tweeks magazine says I can clear 17 by 7.5 all around no spacers....WHAT DO I DO

Porsche Fan,
Dave

[ This Message was edited by: Dave on 2001-07-31 08:20 ]
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the 17 inch wheels will fit also the 7.5" wide wheels will fit. Two things to look at. I took a photo of the car that Nick saw at LimeRock this weekend. Go to my site http://www.geocities.com/eturbo924 and click on the rennsport reunion banner. Go through the photos. I believe the car is on the 3rd page. Looks nice.

Next go back to my page and go into the links section. Go to 924 power and handleing tricks. Click on the 924 power suspension. It shows 7.5" wide wheels will fit... at least in the back as I recall.

Eric
Dave  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the help and the pics Eric
Mannghi  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 17x8's on my '77. They just fit with the 944 fenders front and back.
The ride is HARSH!
Steering is a handfull if you don't have power steering. Low speed is tough but it eases up as you get going.
They do look sweet though.

Dave  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to fit 17 by 7.5 but I dont want to change fenders
427shelby  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to know that 17X7" wheels off of a 2000 Boxter are a direct fit for your '87 924S, because I have a set on my 924S. I don't know if a 7.5" wheel will fit or not, but the Boxter wheels don't leave a lot of room in the rear between the tire and the wheelwell. I have experienced no rub at all, and the performance is greatly improved since I upgraded. I would be happy to email you a picture of mine with the Boxter wheels if you would like. Hope this helps. If you'd like a photo please email me at ufo289@aol.com
-nick  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks 427shelby,

i'm curious to know what the ET (offset) is on those. i suppose around 52mm? are you using an spacers, factory or otherwise?

regards
-nick
427shelby  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, I am not using spacers nor was there a need for any modifications at all. The Boxter wheels are a direct fit. I do not remember the offset, however I believe that you are correct in saying 52mm. Mr. Wood at http://www.wheelenhancement.com can answer any questions about offset and he also sells new and used wheels for almost all Porsches. Again, I hope this helps.
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

427shelby
Is this your car?
http://www.geocities.com/eturbo924/limerock3.html
The silver 924S with Boxster wheels?
It should be this page or one before it.
Let me know

Eric

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2001 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased a set of 17" C2 turbo wheels. Front are 17x7.5 Rear are 17x9. I am putting them on an early 76 924 4 bolt pattern. I need to buy a set adapters from Auto Atlanta. Like someone stated before when truth comes knocking at your door you don't want to hear it ,but let me have it!I am very stubborn keep in mind even if you say they won't fit I'll make them fit.
Michael Kouridakis  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam,
Did the wheel fit?
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 16" wheels, and if you're getting 17" wheels, take my word for it, it'll be a bumpy ride, but awesome handling - it's like your riding on rails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: