Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924S hop-up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsh  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have my motor out and the head off soon. What can a poor boy do (for $1000) to make my red precious go faster without having to diddle with the computer.

This is the newest car I've ever owned ('87) and the most I've ever spent ($2700) so I pretty much don't know jack.

Marsh
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that particular car I'd port and polish the head. And if there were any money left over, get headers.
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Port and polish.... about $450-$500. Then get a more agressive cam grind $120 at Schneider Racing Cams and then an MSDS Header $200 or so with coating. That should give you a good boost. Definately do it while the engine is out. Obviously head work.... head needs to be out. The header is easier to put in with the head out of the car. Make sure you place the header in place and then bolt the head down. If you do it in reverse.... ugh! You need to move mounts and such.

Eric
TonyMechanic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eTurbo, I like the way you think! When you go to get it ported and polished, do some research first, make sure you get someone who REALLY knows what they're doin, talk to them for a while, tell them what its for and what other work your doing to the car to make it faster. A good port and polish will be worth the $, a poor job could cause a loss in power
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony
Thanks. I did this on my 82 924. I did talk to the shop and he in turn talked to Schneider for me to make sure the cam matched the work he was doing on the head. The outcome was 1 sec reduction in 0-60. For the cost of about $850 when all was said and done. Cam head, gaskets and exhaust. Good thing is that most of the car still looks stock... just moves a bit better. I have not tested it since I put on the ported intake and larger throttle body. The car needs to be timed... never mind that the body shop needs to finish up
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more on the subject of headers. MSDS makes great ones for the 924, but for the 924S and the 944, I've heard that the Stahl header is actually superior for output. It costs considerably more, but is worth it, apparently.
http://www.stahlheaders.com

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: