Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

MSD blaster 2 coil MSD6 with soft touch rev control
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems eating plugs on track here - though if they did I wouldn't care, just buy new ones - cheap enough! (in racing terms)

My only problem is the misfire, likely due to a bad coil pickup wire.

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Joes924  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Vaughnn you hang out at that track your close to when speedvision is there for the differant classes of races your a test driver to or just an engineer.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You kidding me? The only time that track's been on Speedivision was when MotorWeak filmed a bit on the intro of the new Acura RSX there. Our racing does not get covered, ever, on TV. It's club racing. No market for that on TV.

As for the job - I am an engineer, not _just_ an engineer! I do my own test driving. I can't tell what car I'm currently working on, but the technology I'm currently working on is ESP - electronic stability control. Just like the Porsche Stability Management they put on the Carrera 4 - that's our Bosch ESP, just rebadged. Likewise, put it in an Olds, it becomes PCS (Precision Control System), or put it in a Toyota, it becomes TSC (Toyota Stability Control). My job is not just to evaluate it, but more importantly to tune the performance of the system (through in-car testing).

'82 931 Plat. Silver
wdb  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you tell us the basics of what ESP does ,what does it adjust or change to improve stability.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, though there is some info out there, better to get it from the horse's mouth, eh?

ESP can change the vehicle's dynamics in two ways. We can control engine output to reduce drive wheel slip, correcting an understeer or oversteer situation while on the throttle. That's easy enough to understand. The fun part is the brake interventions; we can actively build pressure (without the driver touching the brake pedal) and, through the ABS unit, apply that pressure to one or more wheels selectively to change the rate at which the car rotates.

For example, you turn in the wheel on ice, and the car doesn't rotate - just continues to plow, or understeer. We can grab the inside rear brake to force the car to rotate. That's an understeer intervention.

Now, of course, we're still limited by the tires - we can't change how fast the car can safely drive on any given surface, just recover from driver screwups due to inexperience. So we're not adding any performance to the vehicle. We're just making sure we use the most of what we got.

Likewise, if you whip a car back and forth on snow or pavement, the tail end will likely step out, and the car will slide or spin in oversteer. In this case, we can grab the outer front wheel to slow the rate of rotation, eliminating the oversteer condition, and regaining control for the driver. The car will no longer spin.

Does it slow you down? Yes, of course, it can. However, a properly tuned system (that's where I come in) will do so to a minimal degree, intervening only enough to sort the car out. A poorly tuned system will virtually stop the car by the end of a maneuver.

Typical maneuvers we use to evaluate the performance are single and double lane changes - emergency evasive maneuvers that, without intervention, will cause the car to slide or skid out of control. Speeds range from 30mph on glare ice to 65+mph on hi-mu (dry pavement).

The really fun part is driving in the snow, because you can really drift the cars around a lot.

Additional info, we add more sensors into the car to be able to tell what the car is doing, and what the driver wants the car to do. Through the wheel speed sensors, and a combination lateral accelerometer and yaw rate sensor we can tell what the car is doing. Through monitoring the brake light switch, accel pedal position, and steering angle (through a steering angle sensor mounted on the steering column) we can tell what the driver wants the car to do. If the two are sufficiently in disagreement, we can intervent and change the behaviour of the car.

HTH...

'82 931 Plat. Silver
Joes924  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know that rev limeter sure does come in handy not to say I drive like a maniac.It has
a control inside that shuts down each cylinder to prevent over rev. in a way that doesnt foul plugs

[ This Message was edited by: Joes924 on 2002-02-20 18:55 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: