Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Torque Tube Removal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marky522  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELP!!!! I am in the process of removing and replacing the Torque tube in my car. Do you have to remove the bar for the rear end that goes perpendicular to the torque tube? And if so to what extent? (Do you just need to unbolt it and drop it a few inches or does it need to be beside the car???) Thanks,
Mark
larso  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this on a snail, or a audi tranny?

On the snail, well i just did one a couple weeks ago, and all u gotta remove is exhaust, exhaust sheilds, tranny.

don't need to drop any suspension, just have to slide t-tube all the way to the back and angle it down toward front pivoting on torsion bar if i recall and slide out.

Don't know if u can get it if u take suspension off and leave tranny in...

and i don't know about audi tranny.

and i don't know this either and that too.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dude... it is easiest if you drop the rear suspension down a bit... no absolute need to disconnect the rear brake hoses, though it's a tighter fit... sure, it's real nice and easy if you can, but not necessary. As I recall yours is an Audi trans? Later (post 77.5) suspension? Maybe you should give me a ring sometime... I'll email you my phone #... I won't be home for long tonight, as I'll be helping someone bottle their latest brew, but we'll catch up...

Maybe you should come down to Plymouth and help me on the racecar - I have to yank mine and swap in a 5-speed! LOL

Actually, the big PITA as you'll find out is getting at the bellhousing bolts around the clutch bracket... I haven't found a good method for dealing with these yet... last time I borrowed a hoist to hold the engine up with the mount disconnected... Anyone out there have any ideas how to better address this?

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Peter  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of removing the torque tube, I only needed to slide mine back.
But as to removing the 4 bolts that attach the torque tube to the bell housing --not a problem. Buy yourself a set of metric "S" shaped wrenches. I think I bought mine from Harbor freight tools. They are box-end wrenches shaped in an S pattern. The S pattern allows you to snake around the torque tube and get at the bolts.
-Peter A. Holiat
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took one out of a junk car recently and a sawsall works great.
If you plan to use the car the problem is that when you pull the torque tube toward the back the gas tank is in the way. Just about an inch or two. you may have to lift the engine a bit.
By the way I have two torque tubes avail. in the NY area. cheap.

Vince
marky522  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for all the great replies, I wish i had a board like this when i was doing the clutch the first time!!!! I cant believe i didnt leave the year, its a 81 924 NA... Thanks for the info 924RACR I would love to help work on the race car!!!! I was just telling my GF when i get a job i would like to get a 924 and race it... I guess that i will have to drop the rear end a little.

Thanks Again,
Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: