Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Jacob's Coil any good?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mannghi  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking about replaceing my old coil with a Jacob's unit. I think I read that they are too much for the distributor cap.(melted contacts or something)
Has any one tried these coils?
wdb  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while were on the subject,I've heard of people running two coils,to produce a hotter spark.anyone know how that is wired and if it would be any better than 1
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any decent aftermarket coil and a good CD ignition (like a Permatune or MSD) should be quite sufficient. I highly doubt they'd melt the cap; I have a Permatune in my car, no issues. You could have other problems, though; if your wires are in poor shape, you could end up with a misfire due to spark bleed. I've also found a misfire after installing the Permatune, I believe due to the fact that my distributor signal wire is on it's last legs. I'll be replacing it with a new fabricated one this spring.

Cheers,

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
RobE  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The previous owner had one installed on my '79 I've had no complaints, can't attest to any performance change since I didn't have it before it was installed
Mannghi  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked Jacob's web site, they don't recommend using their Ultra Bastard Coil or whatever with CD ignitions, like the ones in early 924's.
Glad I checked.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: