Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Back End Bodywork
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Srus569042  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1978 Porsche 924 came into contact with a tree at the back end, and it hit right smack in the middle. The bumper broke in half, and the whole back end is creased in a little. I have painted a new bumper, and it is ready to be put on, but I need to get the rest of the back end fixed. From where the rear key hole is for the hatch, all the way down, it's creased in, and I have pushed it out a little. With the bumper held up to where it is supposed to go, it looks funny with a big hole between where the bumper is, and where it's creased in. What does anyone recommend that I do? If a picture is needed, let me know. Thanks.
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a picture or two would be helpful then perhaps our resident body expert, Body Shop Rob, could give you a few tips.
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's what we're talking about. Any advice?

John H  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does the tree look like.

prpbably pay to get the car put on a chassis machine and get the offending creases taken out of the lower section at least.
The upper section exposed to view should be able to be knocked back roughly into shape fair easily. The only hard part is the rail above the bumper and below the lights number plate. This is a real S*** to get dents out of.
John H  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does the tree look like.

probably pay to get the car put on a chassis machine and get the offending creases taken out of the lower section at least.
The upper section exposed to view should be able to be knocked back roughly into shape fair easily. The only hard part is the rail above the bumper and below the lights number plate. This is a real S*** to get dents out of.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The damage won't be difficult to fix. Unless you have the experience and facilities to tackle this job, I would advise against it. It would appear as though it may need to be held down on a "frame straightner" in order to pull out some of the damage in the bumper area. Hammering from the inside of the spare tire area won't cut it.
The rest of the damage can be pulled out with a uni-spotter and a slide hammer, then finished using conventional autobody methods.
Joes924  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id go ahead and give it my very best shot
best shot...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure a good crack filler could mix up a batch of Dura bond that would fill those dents in nicely.
wdb  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it is ,the more information you have,the more likely you are to make the right discission. take it to 4 or 5 body shops,get estimates, and then discide wether to repair it your self, have shop do it, or buy another car.or if you know a welder,dare I say it, ... amputate the damaged area and weld a tail back on. while your in there,you could customize a little
http://www.asarus.com/ressources/924_break.jpg
Joes924  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a torch and start cutting find the ass
of another well and piece that sucker together body fill with filler sand sweat concentrate and doit..
Joes924  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh lord god jesus I give you all my praise ...help this person see what he has done by hitting this tree and ... give me grace to do this project... what happend to the tree did you put a bandage on it you should you know
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email PHOLIAT@aol.com because he is chopping up a 931 and could or would sell you the rear.
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly reccomend no trying to weld on a new back end. There is a special method to doing it so that in the event the car is hit it will crash properly and not kill you. If you intend on welding leave it to a professional.
MixMaster K  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 78 with a decent back end on it. I need to get rid of this car as I am moving in the next few weeks. Email me if interested. If you're interested in it as a parts car, then I could use the passenger fender for my '79. Engine has good compression, however, I have taken the camshaft and cam followers out and replaced it to my '79.

The lower section of the car will definitly have to be replaced. It is a structural part of the car. However before you can do this the car will have to be put on a frame rack and pulled back to spec. Tolerances for unibody cars are 0-3mm.

[ This Message was edited by: MixMaster K on 2002-02-24 07:14 ]
Joes924  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me and i was short on dough

id pull it out as much as i can then fill it
your tail lights didnt even break

[ This Message was edited by: Joes924 on 2002-02-26 12:07 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: