Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

931 starts easily and then dies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Kouridakis  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys, more questions:

My '82 931 starts very easily when cold but dies after a few seconds. I have to start it 4 or 5 times and get on the throttle to keep it running. After that it runs ok when warm except for a miss. Could it be the cold start injector? The WUR? Aren't the injectors supposed to hold pressure when off? What up with this?

On a bright note, I cna't believe how fast this thing is! I like my 914 but it aint as much fun to drive as the 931. Doesn't have the same kick in the pants.
numbers  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot start or cold start?
Michael Kouridakis  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold start only. Hmmm. Cold start injector?
larso  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it keeps dieing even when you have your foot on throttle, the mixture is out, caused by the WUR, the WUR controls mixture.

Either that or your mixture setting is off, but if it runs ok hot...well if it acts up at all when hot then mixture is off or timing or something too.
Michael Kouridakis  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a slight miss at speed. I'll have to try a new WUR. The car died on me today about a mile from home. It backfired once then about 100 yards down the road it just quit. It turns over easily (brand new battery)-- no spark, no fire. I believe that my fuel guage is working. I'll put some fuel in the tank and try it again. ARRGGGGG!
dpw928  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

The cold start valve is supposed to turn off after a few (no more than 12) seconds. You either have low control pressure (bad WUR) or low system pressure (bad fuel pump, relay, plugged filter, etc). Since you are missing when warm, my guess would be low system pressure. To test for a bad relay jump the #30 and 87 relay sockets then check the pump to see if it's running. If it still doesn't start check the fuel pump by measuring it's output when turned on for one minute. The output volume should be listed in the Haynes manual. You have changed the filter haven't you? If you have good system pressure yo will need gauges to test the control pressure (WUR).

Good luck. BTW do I get a star for posting? LOL

Dennis
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

I was going to nominate you for a star but then I noticed your handle and the excessive number of 928s.
edd1em  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is wrong with a 928? Eight cylinder porsche? One of the few!! and you call yourself a porsche fanatic...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: