Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 / 944 rear spoiler
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outer side of the hatch should be used I think. The new finished won't be larger on the frame and you won't see the difference on the rest.

What about the two hatches as a mold and use vacuum to suck the air and acrylic into the space. Maybe drill a series of holes in the glass to help have suck or fill points. If there were a few casting marks they could be sanded and polished. Even if the hatch were thicker it would be lighter than the original glass.

What about cost how does it all compare?
wdb  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the vacuum sounds like a good idea but i dont think drilling holes would be necessary,there will be a gap around the outside that will need to closed,just leave a few areas open.fill from the bottom vacuum at the top (lay mold at a shallow angle) but only a few have 2 hatches,if they make and sell them to others the cost of thier time to develope and make them,brings us right back to where we started,they cost to much.
Richard  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bring this string back to spoilers for a minute.....I heard but cannot confirm that the early body mount spoilers were not as aerodynamic as the hatch mount ones. Does anyone know about this?
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, how about a large sheet of lexan and a heat gun?

Anyone tried shaping large slabs of 3mm polycarbonate or lexan? Should be easy for the side glass.

[ This Message was edited by: Peter_in_AU on 2002-01-24 22:13 ]
ricomartinez  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hot can a heat gun get? I think you have to get acrylic close to 300 deg F to get it to flex. I have read where it can't stand temps over 200 F for long. Maybe if it is kept under stress and heated above 200 F for a long time it will hold whatever shape you want it to.
wdb  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it needs to be heated to 170 C heres the details on how its done doesnt look hard.
http://www.theheights.schools.sa.edu.au/acrylic.html
numbers  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez guys, after reading all of your posts, 600 bucks for a nice clear Lexan window sounds like a good deal.
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the prices at Apex Performance http://www.apexperformance.net/ look even better.
wdb  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after reading about how to pressure form the acrylic,i'd bet,a hood and fenders could be molded, and if you really got serious,you could drill out the tack welds in the doors,and mold the exterior panel and inner frame seperatly and then glue them together,replacing all the glass,fenders ,hood and doors,with acrylic,you could probably loose 5-600 lbs off the weight of the car.
Joes924  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea.. thats right poly hatches are spendy the glass 1s are dinasuars they weigh alot
..& yea the thread interesting enough ..my 2 cents becareful of air bubbles easy enough
and I dont know you might have a product that looks shitty in that it doesnt fit
I might like it though ..let me know with a E-mail ..

...Jon mount the spoiler on the plastic hatch not the body .... OK
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow- Apex looks like a good deal!

What about heat warpage or anything... I am interested

- Jon

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently the forming temperature of polycarbonate (lexan) is 190C (375F) so heat related distortion should not be a problem.
wdb  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple animation of vacuum forming
http://www.bpf.co.uk/pras/materials_and_processes/processes/animation7.asp
a variety of ways of achieving each step of the forming process,see tech. page for cutting,painting cementing and more.
http://www.chemcastacrylic.com/technical/mx4.htm
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey wdb,

you've got so many great links for composites and plastics would you consider organising them into a post on the links section?
wdb  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think they are useful,I dont mind spending the time to organize them in one place.I assume you mean the post in the body section also. do you think it would be a good idea to have sub folders in the link section,mechanical,body,electrical,etc. and if so ,should I wait to post the links. I am curious,how much data is in this board,as in mega bytes or whatever the measurement is currently at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: