Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Ignition systems upgrade - Electromotive HPX - Any opinions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Check this out:

http://directignition.com/hpx.htm

Does anyone have experience setting this up? I have no trouble that this will work to improve performance. But I'd really like to hear from anyone that has experience with it.

The Electromotive systems have been used on everything from 1/4 mile draggers to F1 cars. I knew about the rep of the inventor/owner long before he died and these systems are totally solid. The claims they make are well documented.

[ This Message was edited by: Rick MacLaren on 2002-01-24 07:57 ]
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you know how much they cost?

After having a read of the manual, it's basically a 2 dimensional device mapping rpm to spark advance. A very small step up from mechanical systems.

The web page mentions a MAP sensor for detecting cruise/forced inductions loads but the manual make no mention of this. They might be OK for drag cars running at full noise for a few seconds where you want to get to full advance straight away and stay there.

Take a look at http://www.haltech.com.au/Products/ECUs/Ig5/ig5.html to see what the modern equivalent looks at before deciding whether to alter the spark advance: map sensor, coolant temp, air temp, throttle position, rpm as well as a couple of general purpose inputs for things like detonation sensors.

If your cars are both Nth American then the ignition systems are probably already smarter that the Electromotive product. This knob-based technology is 60s museum stuff. As F1 technology tends to be 10 years ahead of road cars and the 924 Carrera GT was the first production car with a fully digital ignition computer back in '81 these systems were probably hot news 30 - 40 years ago.

Unless Electromotive are giving them away you're probably better off saving up for a real programmable ignition control computer or much better, a fuel + ignition computer
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry- I am supposed to update my site- Eric Lynch is harassing me to

Yes- I have one on my car. THE ULTIMATE WAY TO GO!!!

It is totally worth the money. I can help you out with this. You will loose your hot / cold start issues, your car will never mis-fire you will have more power, you can go get a FRANCO CAM GEAR AND GET LOTS AND LOTS OF MORE POWER!!

There are tons of reasons to do this.

It's about $600 for the kit with the wheel. The wheel then must be designed to fit onto your crank. Do you have an extra engine lying around? Because you send the engine and the wheel to the machine shop- have them adapt it onto that engine- then you take and put it on your engine in your car. If you do not, I am more than willing to help you make this. The cost to fabricate it for me was $150 total.

Yes- it's worth the money. You will really like it

- Jon
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any performance stats Vaughan?

Anyways, a guy at work got an '87 944 Turbo and I was in it today...WHOOOOOSH!

So my rebuild has to keep up with that.

Ya think with Electromotive's help, and Francocam and intercooler and high compression pistons, and some weight loss and some Divine Intervention I can keep up to this awesome car?

Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: