Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

944 8V?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pca944  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: 944 8V? Reply with quote

So I've been looking through the posts and all I can find are hints at what the swap would involve, but nothing concrete and no photos from someone who has gone this route.

I have access to a running 944 parts car, and I own a 78' 924. Would it be worth the cost of putting the 944 engine in the 924, or would I be better off restoring the 944 and getting rid of the 924? I really enjoy the 924 with its nimble handling but it really has no power. It's startling how often I notice I am nearly at full throttle.

My other question is would a 924 engine with 931 heads, euro pistons and no accessories (no AC, heater, emissions...) match a stock 944 (rebuilt to original specs) with no accessories?

Thanks.
Khal  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 944 8V? Reply with quote

Pca944 wrote:
...nothing concrete and no photos from someone who has gone this route.

Probably because no-one has bothered doing it.

Pca944 wrote:
I have access to a running 944 parts car, and I own a 78' 924. Would it be worth the cost of putting the 944 engine in the 924, or would I be better off restoring the 944 and getting rid of the 924? I really enjoy the 924 with its nimble handling but it really has no power.

I personally doubt it'd be worth doing the engine swap. I suspect it might be cheaper to buy a 924S... see, Porsche had the same idea as you and they've done the swap for you already!

Still, if you could do absolutely everything yourself and didn't have to buy any parts or whatever, you might get out of it cheaper than buying a 924S...

Pca944 wrote:
My other question is would a 924 engine with 931 heads, euro pistons and no accessories (no AC, heater, emissions...) match a stock 944 (rebuilt to original specs) with no accessories?

I assume you mean that the 924 would be fully worked in the engine department? If that's the case, it's my understanding that you can get them up to somewhere around 180hp.
That's the kind of power of a Euro Turbo puts out and I'd rate one a good chance of outrunning a stock '44. So yeah, I guess it's possible the 924 with that sort of engine would match a stock '44 in overall performance. Maybe even better it...

But the '44 would be nicer to drive.
stevencrichton  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: emmisions etc are bad... Reply with quote

Basically the american stock motors in akmost any imported car are heavily strangled by all the emmisions gear. I have a stock 924 2.0i (don't know the coding yet) in Scotland and even with a bad fuel map I have scared a 2.2 VTEC prelude owner I know with it.

If only you guys had the cars we had here without all the recircs and so on tuning might not be as hard on most cars ( as in going out of your way to get every last bit of power ).

Anyone interested in this just look at the specs for the lanica beta. Euro spec was 100+ bhp but by the time it was imported new bumpers and emmisions gear 60 bhp.

So in the short of it.. Rip it all off then think about tuning, or import a euro block.
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a Euro block, just the higher compression pistons. Head work helps also. See my list below. My car is probably slightly ahead of a stock Euro model, and it is absolutely a blast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: