Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Sudden "Tick" Sound??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1981 931 makes a loud "tick" sound when I pull back the throttle cam or hit the accelerator pedal. It doesnt tick all the time, it is just a single loud tick the moment I give it a quick surge of gas. If I steadily pull the throttle cam, it does NOT do it. ONLY when I give it a quick pull on the throttle. I just finished putting the exhaust back on the car & it ran fine, but after idling for a few minutes it started doing it. I do not believe it to be related to the exhaust, but I could be wrong. I tightend all the bolts well. So I do not believe it to be an exhaust leak. Any ideas?
TroyDest  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris,

It sounds like your turbo pop off valve. It has a piston inside that moves from one side to the other when you open or close the throttle quickly. With the hood open and engine running, crack the throttle real quick and listen for the tick coming from the turbocharger. If it does, it's your pop off valve. Don't worry about it unless it is leaking vacuum or pressure.

Mine does it all the time, most people ask what that noise is. The gaskets on your valve may have disintegrated inside so that the piston is getting louder and louder. Mine makes that noise 'cause I replaced my gaskets with o-rings so there are no gaskets to cushion the piston or deteriorate.

Good luck, Troy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: