Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

What do you think?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike B  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2001 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few pics of the recently completed engine...The red and chrome is not paint but is all powder coated...Thought I would throw the rear wheel in for fun

It seems my son has moved the pics...somewhere...I'll post the link when I find them again...Kids :roll:

[ This Message was edited by: Mike B on 2001-08-23 10:00 ]
Mike B  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I think it's looks good
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

how much prep work did you have to do before getting the coating?
Mike B  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter...No more than for regular painting...The better finish you start with will leave you with a better finished product...The advantage to powder coating is it is a lot more durable...Reistant to all fluids, even brake fluid dosen't bother it, and seems immune to normal wear (scratchs, minor impacts, etc)...The stuff wears like iron but looks like great paint (very glossy)...

Best of all I did it all myself in my own garage...That's right...Didn't take any of the parts to anyone...

Check out http://www.columbiacoatings.com ...I bought my gun from the Eastwood Company but if I had to but another I would get it from Brian at Columbia Coating...I bought the red and chrome powder from him...GREAT STUFF

Joes924  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey i looked at all your pics neat stuff that powder coating.Makes your car look good . how much was it can you use any gun it takes a special gun right so my devilbiss wouldnt work
Mike B  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need this gun Joe as the material comes out as a powder then liquifies when you bake it...I think I paid $190 US for the deluxe kit from http://www.hotcoat.com (The Eastwood company) but Brian at http://www.columbiacoatings.com is better priced...
Paul T.  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEAUTIFUL JOB! You should be very proud to show that engine off! I am in the process of rebuilding my engine also, I am not powder coating it, but it will be very nice when it is done. I will post pictures of mine also when I'm finished. Again, very nice job!
numbers  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, did you bake it yourself? I see the ads in Eastwood saying you can use an oven. Just had my spiderweb wheels powder coated, and they look great, but the center caps did not come out too good. I took them back to be redone today.
Mike B  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul....I did the baking myself Numbers...Picked up a used oven, which is still in my garage, and used that to cure the powder...Worked very well...

I'm impressed with the quality and durability of the finished product...I plan to order a lot more powder from Brian...mmmmmm..what can I powder coat next...
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Why don't you tell us exactly what you used and the cost of each item so we can judge whether it is feasable for us to do it. I wanted to do this but was unsure. As for the oven I can get one. The rest ???
gun
conmpressor
paint
etc.

Thanks and the engine looks great. I tried polishing my valve cover and it took forever. Too much work.
Mike B  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea Vince...

1. Powder applicator (gun)...I bought the deluxe Hot Coat kit from which included 24 oz. of powder for $190.00. http://www.eastwoodco.com/cgi-bin/sgdynamo.exe?HTNAME=/hotcoat/1980deluxkits_new.htm&UID=2001082111173611&FNM=20

You can get a gun from Brian at Columbia Coatings for as low as $90.00 or the deluxe kit, with 2 lbs of powder, for $160.00 (I think it is a better gun too).

2. I located Brian at Columbia Coatings and bought 3 lbs of red and 3lbs of chrome from him...The more you buy the cheaper it is from him...The 6lbs cost $72.00 ($36 X 2).
http://www.columbiacoatings.com

3. Misc. costs...$10.00 for 1 gallon of acetone (I use that to thoroughly clean and degrease the part before applying the powder) avialable at Home Depot.

$6.00 for a pair of welding gloves (You need those when reaching into the hot oven).

That's the cost of powder coating....There are incidential expenses such as adding 220 volts to your garage if you don't have it...It was about $40.00 for me which included the breaker, wire and range receptacle from Home Depot.

I also spent about $20.00 on plastic tarps to make a booth (The powder will go every where).

Other than that you need a compressor that can supply about 15 psi...I already had one so that cost me nothing...I also bought a small blast cabinet for $120.00 as you have to get to bare metal before applying powder...I found industrial/automotive chemical strippers worked great too...about about $13.00 for 12 oz...

I think that is it...Let's see the grand total for me was approx. $351.00 (not including the blast cabinet) plus shipping which is even cheaper if you live in the US...

I still have the majority of chrome powder and about 1/3 to 1/2 of the red left...I used all the high gloss black that came with the kit...Best of all I still have all the tools...And I can order powder at any time...

[ This Message was edited by: Mike B on 2001-08-22 01:42 ]
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pics don't show on my machine...
Mike B  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Rick...My son bumped them somewhere...I'll get them back tonight.
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a perfect reply and one that is necessary for us considering powder coating items.
Want to do some jobs on the side, e.g. vavle covers. Chrome is okay. I already cleaned it and kind of polished it.

For cash of course.
marky522  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if it is possible to powdercoat rims??

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: