Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Here's one for discussion...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adie  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be self ritious and say i still say bonnet not hood, aluminium not aluminum, chips not french fries, wing not fender, cm not cubits, sweede not turnip, but the simple truth is my keyboard is a UK one and the $ is no.4 and the £ is no.3 and I'm crap at typing, I actually meant $1000 but thanks for making me look stupid Oh and I've been her for 2 1/2 years now and I still am yet to find Quebec on my French maps
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just teasing

My Dad's from Liverpool, came over in 78 and he still uses lots of "Britishisms"
Khal  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad this "Engine Transplants" forum exists.

Now if we can just get a sticky in the "General" forum along the lines of: If you wanna piss'n moan that your car is slow, click here -> Engine Transplants

Ah, that'd be sweet...

BTW, have you ever driven a Turbo, Lord Fester? Apparently they're the quickest of all the 924's.

As Adie says, they were never intended to be Traffic Light Grand Prix cars. But when that Turbo starts huffin', they sure do git along...

Of course, you could always buy a WRX STi or Lancer Evo. I've seen blokes in 996 Turbo's look away nervously when a mod'd one of them rolls up!
dean924s  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Fester,

Have you done any diagnostics to the car? When it cranks does the tack move? From your description I am guessing that you may have a bad or out of adjustment speed and reference sensors. Another item to look at is the DME relay. There is a very good writeup on Clark's Garage http://www.clarks-garage.com/ about testing and diagnosing no start conditions. The problem you are describing is quite common. I have never driven a auto version of these cars but my 87 924s is quite peppy.

Dean

"WAR - It doesn’t matter who is right only who is left."
"Physics - A silent killer."

Car Specs & Mods http://clarks-garage.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2937
Adie  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trust me, the auto's are a very different car, once you get them going there..............still really slow, the manual you can keep the engine spinning but the auto is poor, it also has a high stall convertor so unless your lucky enough to have a lot of torque your SOL. as a commuter car is has all the problems assoaciated with a porsche but the go of 924s with 2 plug leads removed. If you are very comfortable with working on 924/944's then it is a good little car, as an entry into the world of 'sports' cars it's a poor substitute, however I love mine but I have very little invested in it.
Adie  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if this has worked you will see a roughed out plate bolted to an engine, the standaed rover v8 flex plate was spun down to the same size as the Porsche coupling holder, it was then tiged on the out side and miged on the inside and every 4th bolt was bolted from the other side, the rover has a spacer behind the flex plate which was turned down to 13mm thick, this allowed the porsche starter motor to be used along with the porsche bellhousing, the second picture is the finished plate with the bellhousing attached, from here it's just a simple matter of bolting it all back in to the car and making some engine mounts.

The manual conversion is a little different but along the same lines, but the alu flywheel looks real sexy on those (not enough space to upload that image)
ESC944  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful... got to love it. Thanks Adie. Love seeing those pics, going to email you I want the rest of the pics... to drool over hahaha.

Thanks again for posting!
Lord Fester  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dean924s wrote:
Lord Fester,

Have you done any diagnostics to the car? When it cranks does the tack move? From your description I am guessing that you may have a bad or out of adjustment speed and reference sensors. Another item to look at is the DME relay. There is a very good writeup on Clark's Garage http://www.clarks-garage.com/ about testing and diagnosing no start conditions. The problem you are describing is quite common. I have never driven a auto version of these cars but my 87 924s is quite peppy.

Takes me awhile to get back as I'ma 3rd shifter and not "in tune" withthe rest of the world... (need a "sleepy" Emoticon here)

Thanks Dean,
There's actually a couple of threads about this problem that have been plaguing me since June.
I had replaced the DME sensors. See "Stuck DME sensor" on the engine forum (i think). If you search for my name you should get the history. The relay was fine as well. The green wire is intact with no shorts either.

As soon as I got the sensors (finally) replaced, it seemed to work for about a week. Then the intermitent starting started all over again. Basically to keep a very long story short, I've got the ECM hanging by it's umbilical and when the problem occurs I whack it. It then starts fine.
Caveman, yes. But it works until I can get a replacement. It's only for moving it about the driveway anyway as that's all I trust it to do at this point.
I've split the box and can;t find any obvious problems such as a bad solder joint or broken component.

I've never driven a turbo. I have driven a 928 though and the extra 4 cylinders are a great help! Too bad it's soooo heavy. I thought the 924 would be more fun as the addage goes: "More horsepower will help in the straights but lighter helps everywhere".

This car was no my first choice by all means. It was a concession I made in the fact that it was a "good deal". It had been stored foo too long a period which led to some complications to say the least! Let's just leave it at overtourqued lugs and warped rotors... I now have a surefire method of fixing this situation and it doesn't cost a mint!

Anyway, the auto tranny is a nasty bit of hardware. No fun, but it had a practical side that allows my wife to use in an emergency. She drove it once and will now only drive it if it is in fact an emergency! Let's just say she prefers an Audi.

I have a 90 Lincoln Towncar that had it's nose bashed in by a dumba$$ soccermom in a Volvo with no regard for traffic's rules. It only had 70K on it and I'd hate to send the mill off to the crusher. The 4.6 Ford is a great engine and the exhaust note is addictive. It was wasted under the hood of that toad of a car, but boy could it launch! What I was hoping for was a way to overcome the torque-sapping automatic with that engine.

It may be more of a project that I'm willing to commit to at this time. I should sell the 924 in it's unmolested state. It's nice and clean with 120K on the clock.

Rick

Adie, love the pictures! Always a great help. If I can ever figure out these computers, I'll have to post my solution to snapped alloy lugs with illustrations!
'82 Scirocco (organ donor)

Living the dream. One broken part at a time...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: