Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Chevy V8 Conversions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamez  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '77 924 has a '96 chevy LT1, the weight is 2630 lbs with half tank of gas. 49/51 weight distribution. My car has a full interior and very little weight savings was done. A modern V8 is not a boat anchor.

I don't know how much I spent on my car, but it couldn't have been over $6,000. I have a car that will do a quarter mile in under 12 seconds, and 0 - 6 in about 4.5 (estimates). The engine is completely stock, so it is reliable and not overstressed.

Just an opinion from someone who has actually done it. see the website for some pics. http://www.content2drown.com/924LT1/
v8carreragts  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, It's been awhile since I have been here. My wife and I had triplets and I just had no time.

Anyway, I've been reading through post in all of the forums and sonething I have noticed in this forum is some talking down some transplants. If you don't like these, don't read or post in the "engine transplants" forum.

As for Chevy engines, there have been many that have been succesfully completed in both 924's and 944's. If anyone is interested, check this:
http://www.porschehybrids.com/

Chevy's are boat anchors? It seems to me that the most used and modifed engine that exists is the boat anchor. It must be a pretty lousy engine. (sorry for the sarcasm) Obvously people that don't know any better.

Modifing a 924 engine to accelerate to 60 in 6 seconds or less than a v8 swap? Maybe if you go out and but everything new including a crate motor. I will likely have less than $6000 in my entire car including the 7" & 8" Fuchs wheels, tires, Carrera GTS body parts, 924 1/4 panels, G31 LSD transaxle, paint, etc. and the original cost of the car. The engine is a 302 Chevy 470 HP @ 7000 rpm 390 lbs. ft torque @ 5500 rpm, roller cam, rockers multiport injection, full length headers and exhuast. And it will be more reliable than a highly modified 924 engine.

If you want to modify a 924 engine, this is the wrong forum. Everyone has their own idea of what is right for them or what you should do to your car. As far as I am concerned, the only models not suited for a conversion are the Carrera GT series cars and maybe the 968 Club Sport. No other 924/944/968 cars have collector value. You can buy a $45000 944 turbo for under $6000 now and most any 924 including turbos for less than about $2000 so I see no reason to keep any of them unmodified or unconverted. But that is my opinion. Everyone is entitled.

As far as weight or balance, it has been proven over abd over that v8 conversions don't effect it. Check out the forum that I listed above. And the Chevy LSx conversions are actually slighter than the original engine. Many are raced on road courses continuously without issue.

I like turbocharged cars too. I considered turbocharging my car (I am using an 84 944 to build a 924 Carrera GTS clone) but when it comes down to it, there is much more bang for the buck with a v8. More torque, more HP, more reliability, cheaper parts. When my car is finished it will be about 51%front & 49% rear about the same as a 924 turbo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: