Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Chevy V8 Conversions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyMechanic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2001 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like the idea. Paladin and I have been debating this on the 924, 944, 951, 968 Message Board ( http://forums.roadfly.com/porsche/924-944-968/ ). Anyone here want to tell me what they think? I'd be interested in hearing things, especially if I forgot something and the conversion will end up being not worthwhile after all.
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2001 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the whole concept of putting a boat anchor into the nose of a 924 has been thrashed to death repeatedly in this forum. There are probably no new ideas.

Have a look at all the other posts in this forum if you want to know what everybody thinks.

The closest thing to a good V8 idea seems to be the Rover Aluminium V8 which actually weighs less than the 924 engine but then if you want something to pull your boat with, why waste money on a conversion?

Probably the best indication of what a great idea a V8 924 is is the number of guys that have posted pics and info about their real V8 924s (zero)
D Hook  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2001 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Peter said, this has been thrashed about here and every other forum I've been on re: 924's. I have yet to see one single picture of anyone who's done this, any kind of corraboration of hp vs. handling compromises and wish someone would do this, document the steps and give us a good answer. The only conversion that's been well documented was the one that a guy had someone else stick a Buick Grand Nat'l (I think) engine in his 944 and that was more a litany of complaints about the workmanship and hassles of getting the mechanic to finish the job than it was a report on the success/failure of the conversion.

Maybe if you can keep a good video record of the steps and of the outcome, it could become a part of the FAQ or Tech Section. And who knows, if the Renegade conversion kit is found lacking, maybe you can come up with your own and finance a 928 AND new plug wires! (I share your attitude towards the 928. I like to go to Rennlist and read the 928 owners comments on the forum there. It always makes me appreciate my little lowly 924 alot more.)

Good Luck and please keep the board informed on your progress.
numbers  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2001 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renegade has a 944 V8 up for auction on EBay now.
D Hook  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2002 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the discussion on Roadfly:

http://forums.roadfly.com/porsche/924-944-968/forum.php

You have to scroll down a ways. It's under "looking to convert".

Flying V (Vince) sent me some pictures and some info on the conversion and I must admit, it looks very well done. I was impressed.

If anyone wants to see them, let me know and I'll forward them. I'll try to figure out a way to post them on this site somehow.

[ This Message was edited by: D Hook on 2002-01-01 04:25 ]
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of work and money you would need to put into a V8 conversion is not worth it in my opinion.

For the same amount of money to convert to a V8 you can actually get your 924 to accelerate to 60 in 6 seconds (or less)!

I've wrote a lot of documentation that was going to go on my website back in Sep. but when my laptop was stolen I have not yet redone this liturature... I am working on my website and this liturature for those who want serious power like my '24....

- Jon
teo  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey D Hook,

picture time again?

I'm trying to find a good place on the net that allows individual files to be linked from somewhere else, but meanwhile you can email the pics for me, I will put them up. And don't forget the details.

Teo
Revis Rose  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine in Pinole, CA. He did a Renegade kit into a '77 924. Well in his words, "I could have bought a 928 for the money I spent." But he is not into 928's so he is happy with the end result. He also reported, the look on the face's of kids in their, Turbo Whama Jama Rice Burners is pricless, and therefore worth the cost of doing it.
About the handleing, well most of us cant drive a 924 well enough to take advantage of it protental performance anyway. I have a Mustang and it's V6 gives it a 55/45 weight bias, and I can pull the same manuvers with it that I do with my 924, this tells me that I am either on the edge of a Mustangs handleing envolope or I have not even scatched the surface of what a 924 can do. The point being that worring about a 924's weight bias getting skewwed 3 or 4 percent is like making a mountain out of a mole hill.
I am still thinking of doing this conversion in one of my cars. I know that it will be a lot of work to do it right. As it is on the face of it I really will be re-engineering the car, when I do it. It is just finding the time to do it. But these cars are a hobbie for me.
klober23  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do it...and I have seen it done v8
d12-Matt  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the only images of a 924 V8 that I could find:

Joes924  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks real sharp ...
monsigneurmitch  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with putting a v8 into the 924 if you have the time/resources. I have a friend wanting info on actually doing it. I brought my 924 back from germany so that should give you an idea how much I lke the car. I can work on most of it myself. The point to this is I could get it to 220km or 136mph on the autobahn there and have since discovered thereare not many places to legally do this stateside. The look of terror in my father in laws face while pulling a sharp corner at 50 made it all worthwhile.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hae to agree on scaring older people as you take a 90 deg corner doing 60km to 80km with no problem
82-T/A  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter_in_AU wrote:
the whole concept of putting a boat anchor into the nose of a 924 has been thrashed to death repeatedly in this forum. There are probably no new ideas.

Have a look at all the other posts in this forum if you want to know what everybody thinks.

The closest thing to a good V8 idea seems to be the Rover Aluminium V8 which actually weighs less than the 924 engine but then if you want something to pull your boat with, why waste money on a conversion?

Probably the best indication of what a great idea a V8 924 is is the number of guys that have posted pics and info about their real V8 924s (zero)

Well, that's not entirely true. The "boat anchor" you speak of is older technology. Since 1998, most "performance" motors (at least from GM) are all aluminum. The LS motor, found in any 1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird probably weighs less than the 2 liter also.

Of course, there are newer versions of the LS motor, like the LS2, LS4, LS7, etc... there's an LS to fit any budget.

A LS motor can make 325hp in it's most simplest / smallest form, and as much as 500hp from a "stock" motor.

By the way, the "Rover" all aluminum V6 is a Buick motor.

But, I do agree with you on putting a huge beast motor in a 924, it kind of defeates the purpose.

That said, I have a poorly running 944, and a 300hp all iron V8 that I wouldn't mind dropping in there so I can drive it around for the next couple of years. At least until I finish some other projects... and then just totally restore the engine compartment to stock (I'd be happy with that).

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
82-T/A  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I just responded to a thread that was last looked at in 2002. Sorry about that...
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: