Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Oil Light flashed on briefly when turning sharply
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cs  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first guess would be that while turning you drove the oil away from the pick up, a sign of being low on oil, but i'm not sure since the brake light came on as well. i'd check the oil level first just to be safe.

[ This Message was edited by: cs on 2001-12-13 17:48 ]
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOu must have been pulling some Gs there.

Both will flicker, when not fully filled the brake will flicker under hard cornering, the oil on the other hand indicates oil starvation. The dreaded 944 engine killer.

On a 924 it can't be good either, but the light will flicker on low pressure, but still be safe. This at idel though. SO depending on where you where reving, It could be a bad thing.

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
Gregsy14  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Gregsy14 on 2002-01-09 21:04 ]
D Hook  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does the same thing if I corner (right hander I think)too hard. Both brake light and oil light come on. But I've never had any problems, oil is right up to where it should be on the dip stick. I think there's a baffle in the oil pan (windage tray?) that is supposed to keep that from happening. Someone jump in here please 'cause I'm over my head now and don't want to be spreading bull****!
cs  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the oil pan is designed well for keeping the oil were it should be. a windage tray is something that keeps the oil from wrapping around the crankshaft and weighting it down.
larso  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be alternator
Gregsy14  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Gregsy14 on 2002-01-09 21:05 ]
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is gonna sound odd, but check the contact and alignment of your parking brake lever and the switch underneath it.

I've experienced this before, the parking brake handle can lean when cornering hard, due to slop in the pivot, and if the bracket for the switch for activating the light is bent, it can come on!

Guess I've had too many 924's...

The oil light should only come on when pressure is below 0.5bar (7psi). It also is usually not an intermittent thing, and particularly not with the engine revved - only idling hot.

The pans are very well baffled, never had any oil pressure problems while cranking through RH corners at about 1G+ on the race track.

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
wdb  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2001 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bad ignition switch makes all my dash lights flash when I hit a bump in the road
Chaz  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, long time, no post...anyway, my first '77 had really worn cam journals that let a lot of oil dump into the head. I guess the return ports are small enough to keep a fair amount of oil up in the head. The oil level would read fine when off, but whenever I turned right somewhat fast, the oil light (and brake warning light) would come on. Once I replaced the head with one that had the proper journal clearance, the problem went away.
ward  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same problem, the way i fixed it was i made up an extended sump. it looks like a winged keel of a boat. i cut an old sump and welded the parts onto the other. so it all looks good. i have never had a problem since.
924 carrera gt replica.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to increase your oil capacity and have extra oil under pressure ready for sharp turns is an oil accumulator. They can also provide pre-lube before you start the engine. I had one on my Honda Accord - (years ago when I was young and had bad taste). I had it T'd into an oil cooler hose and with a lawn mower throttle control mounted in my dash to operate it from the drivers seat. You'd close the valve while the engine was still running. This would hold 2-3 quarts of oil under pressure in the accumulator. Next time you go to start up the engine, open the valve, then crank the starter - this gives you oil pressure before you start the engine. The lawn mower throttle control isn't necessary - there are electric valves available.
During normal operation while driving, the valve is left open and any time the oil pump isn't supplying oil pressure for whatever reason, the pressurized oil from the accumulator comes out and into the engine so you don't miss a beat.

[ This Message was edited by: smoothie on 2002-05-08 01:32 ]
TroyDest  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oil light keeps coming on when in left turns. It's getting worse and worrying me. It does it in any left turn, any bump, and when accelerating full throttle. The oil level is full and the pressure is at 4 bar when it happens. From my interpretation of the factory workshop manual wiring diagram, only one sender is used for the idiot light and the gauge. Is this true? -Troy
MBENGOLEA  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MBENGOLEA  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try with overfilling oil pan with half a liter more.
I have the same trouble turning right, and it dissappears with overfilling oil pan.
Have luck
Miguel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: