Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Engine Reassembly Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyPuppy  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would a fall like that really warp the cylinder head? Or could it have been like that from the beginning?

cya

-1977 1/2 blue Porsche 924 (possible track/club car)
-1979 primer Porsche 924 project car /w 5-spd & sunroof
-1966 Lincoln Continental daily

[ This Message was edited by: HappyPuppy on 2001-12-13 15:01 ]
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No a fall will not warp the head. A fall might crack the head, but warp? Nope.

Head warping typically happens under intense heat. It may be possible to otherwise warp it, but I've never seen it.
HappyPuppy  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I will be bitching out my guys at Satterfields ASAP. I can't believe they forgot to check the cylinder head for warpage. What goobs.

cya
numbers  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had your head done by a reputable company, it is probably flat. I agree that droping it will not warp it. However, it could have done other damage. Check particularly for any nicks or dings on the mating surface and the cam journals. If all looks ok, the head is probably fine. The light you see is probably from the block being warped. If an engine overheats, the head and the block will usually both warp.
HappyPuppy  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the thing--I blew a head gasket, but only only blew out on the no. 1 piston and nearby oil tube thingy. The car never overheated--it just leaked out about a quart of oil and blew lots of smoke. I drove it 5 miles back to my house, stopped it, and pulled the engine.

I just thought of something though, but it shouldn't matter. That head is an extra one, not the original. I believe it came from a 924 whose rear brakes dragged and caught fire. However, Satterfield's was supposed to check out the entire engine completely--neither the block nor the head should be warped.

I'm going to check the block with a straightedge--since they didn't mill it. It should check out fine though.

cya
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: