Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Starter problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awilson40  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, This has happened twice and has me concerned. The starter wont turn. Its not that it is laboring or not engaging. No click like its a solenoid and the battery is fine, grounds look fine. I turn the key and the indicator lights dim slightly, but it wont turn over. I push start it, and the starter works fine after that. No noise, no laboring. Its done this twice in a couple of months.
Any Ideas??
Thanks
924martinirossi  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2001 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try cleaning the 4 pin connector near the battery box that goes down to the starter.

Michael
awilson40  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2001 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do...
Thanks
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question... have you done any maintenance recently that might have pinched an electrical line?
larso  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a sticky or dirty solenoid, or the starter motor needs greasing where the solenoid arm/lever is. You could check for voltage at the starter motor when this happens and if there is none then it's something like a wire as others suggested tho.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 924 is notorious for shorting out the electrical circuits. Heat builds up near the line from the battery to the starter and burns off the rubber. Then it (sometimes) shorts. My advice would be to clean everything and insulate if you have something apart.
numbers  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your symtoms are typical of a very worn starter. The brushes are so worn that they barely make contact with the armature. Sometimes they will not make contact at all, and your starter will not crank. However, after you push start your car, the vibration of the engine running is enough for the brushes to make contact again. Most likely, the problem will continue to get worse until you replace the starter.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My starter needed some attention almost a year ago - and it finally got it a couple months ago. Some of its' symptoms were like yours and some were different. Always, when cold, the starter wouldn't engage for a couple of seconds after I turned and held the key to the start position. Then very rarely, it wouldn't start at all unless I gave it a jump. As time went on, the problem progressed to where it wouldn't start when hot. During that phase, several times I got it going by running cold water from a garden hose on it for a few minutes, then it would start, usually with the few seconds delay. It didn't click then wait a few seconds then start. It was just silent before and during the delay, then it would suddenly start. That's where its' symptoms were similar to yours - no click. Anyway, when the waiting around for it to cool off or looking for a garden hose got too annoying, I finally took a guess and ordered just a solenoid. When that arrived, I took the starter off and took the solenoid apart. It was all gummed up and not sliding freely. So, that was it - just needed a new solenoid. Could have just cleaned and replaced the old solenoid, but; the plastic around the connections was cracked because I tightened up too much when I first installed that starter. The starter is a rebuilt one that was replaced just a few years ago, so; I guessed that it was ok - and it was.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After thousands of dollars spent on electrical problems, all I can say is "Dirt, shorts and heat are your enemies. Reduce heat, shorts and dirt and, other things being equal, it'll start"

Solenoids are cheap. Replace it when you've got your butt under the car, you might as well. (I paid like $30 for mine).
awilson40  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numbers... I think you may be right...I need to pull the starter and check it out. Then I can inspect the brushed, solinoid and connections.
Thanks for all your help
larso  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your solenoid click or doesn't it? in your post it is hard to tell.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: